Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Gay Wedding Cake Case Pt. 2 - Supreme Court Punts AGAIN! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
It’s Illinois Nazis all over again, in micro-micrcosm.

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You have to take the bad liberty with the good.  I’d have no problem taking my gay dollars down to the next baker.  Narrow minded assholes?  Seemingly.  But with every right to be just that.   

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Everyone for themselves, good luck finding that cab or place to live, or getting into the private school if you are of some group or other somebody has an 'issue' with merely existing or doing what any other groups do (like get married).

Yes, we have to learn the basics all over again. No thanks.

Cakes as great personal art... oohkay, what else? Cars perhaps? Houses? Neighborhoods?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 June 2019 at 7:36pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You have the right to feel prejudice. You don't have the right to discriminate. Therein lies the law.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

All right then! Now we’re talking! No discrimination based on religious beliefs. Down come all the churches, mosques and synagogs! No more tax exemptions. Everybody toe the same line!

(Nobody has a bigger axe to grind against religion than me, but they must all have the same freedoms, or none of them—or us—have any freedom.)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If cake art is such a medium of personal expression for someone they really shouldn't be going into the compromising business of selling them to the general public, never mind advertising to make them to order. You know, it could get eaten or all kinds of things.

I know an artist older than me who has never sold his original artwork. Given the odd minor bit away, but never sold an original (all numbered and dated and filed away from the 1970s onward).

Yes, religions and their tax exemption status has been abused for lots of things. Charities that are registered and found creditable only I would say, and that would include faith based charity, but not propagandist satellite broadcast facilities with law colleges that dying people give offerings to and then go to supporting political candidates. Make Pat Robertson take the bus!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 June 2019 at 8:03pm

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If cake art is such a medium of personal expression for someone they really shouldn't be going into the compromising business of selling them to the general public, never mind advertising to make them to order. You know, it could get eaten or all kinds of things.

So are you saying that the drawings that Jack Kirby did weren't art because he made it known to employers that he would draw pages for money, even if it might get cut up in the future and handed out to the visitors at the Marvel offices?

Art is a unique creative process.  Baking a cake to order isn't art - mainly because even a layman can do it with a basic knowledge of baking and the right equipment.  Decorating that cake and making it marketable enough to sell for a special occasion takes artistic skill that you don't find in most people.

Cake decorating, quilting, wood carving, origami, etc., all art forms in my book.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I know Subway has called it's employees sandwich artists but I never expected any of them to be daft enough to take it literally as a sacred calling or venue for personal expression. This way lies lunacy. I offer no apologies to the culinary artists, and definitely none to those mad enough to want a say on who can and who can't buy their wares offered for sale.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Cakes as great personal art... oohkay, what else? Cars perhaps? Houses? Neighborhoods?

•••

Why not? Are you about to instruct us on what “art” is?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Why not anything then, because who knows, to some people it 'means so much'.

I've made flower arrangements for weddings in my past, never once having thought to ask anything about the people who were my customers other than what did they want. Retail business, open to the general public walking in, not by appointment only. Can't turn out a cake with some kind of acceptable decoration and whatever message the customer wants = 'snowflake' personified to me. If he can only 'create' wedding cakes at the level of masterpieces expressing his vision and not the customers then he is most likely to any rational judge of things in the wrong business. He is at least as at fault as a couple simply entering a shop that was open to buy what it advertised that it made and sold.

Why, how dare such a great sensitive artiste have ever sullied himself with filthy lucre of commerce eh? Such a cruel world....

As I say, this way lies lunacy... but enjoy! I know all the lawyers likely will (on your taxpayers' dime yet).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 June 2019 at 11:09pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Post deleted.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 17 June 2019 at 11:45pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Don’t compare homosexuals to Nazis.