Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 01 Fan Fic Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Your reactions to this “first issue” have me very intrigued to see how you’ll all respond to what comes next.

As you all know, “In the Jungle” began as an experiment, just doodling around to see if I could still write and draw this kind of comicbook story. I let it kind of “fall out of the pencil” without much guiding me beyond “This would be fun to draw...”

Once a second issue started to appear, tho—and once Marvel expressed interest—I pounded what I’d originally produced into something more like a “first issue”, replete with sub plots that would flow into subsequent issues and stories. And, naturally, my approach to each issue became more disciplined. I was no longer thinking ahead to just the next page or two. I was thinking two, three, ten ISSUES ahead.

Makes for different storytelling!

Back to Top profile | search

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Of all the excellent things that stand out, I think my favorite is the series of panels containing Peter transforming into his flesh and blood form, while spying Kitty down the hall from him. It's the ability to make what would seem a pedestrian moment so visually dynamic that sets your work apart from most. Thanks for this gift.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2019 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Knowing this isn't a one shot or even a 4 issue miniseries is very appealing. I think everyone on the JBF is fine with plots and sub plots not coming to fruition or reveal for many issues. I think I remember JB mentioning he would have been fine doing 100+ issues of Hidden Years so the mind boggles, in a positive way, at the thought of seeing a page a day for many months or even years of Elsewhen. I think the people that don't frequent the JBF might be challenged with plots and sub-plots that aren't resolved for months, but they might also have an advantage of only coming by once a month and therefore reading an entire issue at once. I had no problem with getting a page per day and found that a 24 hour page turn rate made certain cliffhangers more intense because nothing was revealed for a day.

I suppose no matter how the story unfolds or is consumed has the ability to mitigate any faults some will find with the work. I look forward to being on the edge of my Elsewhen seat for the unforeseeable future.

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's really great to watch Sprite being a funny adventurous teenager again!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

BTW, something you won’t be seeing here is Nightcrawler turning invisible in shadow. I protested what I saw as the idiocy of this power from its first appearance. “Invisible in shadow?” I said to Chris. “Then why isn’t he invisible at night, when he’s in the Earth’s shadow? And why isn’t his face invisible?”

Didn’t get a straight answer.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've wondered that...what determines what shadow he can turn invisible in? Also seemed pretty lame as a power as most things that are hiding in shadow, are somewhat 'invisible' anyway.

The one thing I did -like- about it was the inference of something altogether more---diabolical. Like it was not a 'power' but rather a consequence (like the smell accompanying his teleporting) of something else.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Anyone: Is Nightcrawler turning invisible in shadow something Claremont invented?  It's been so long I forget. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Anyone: Is Nightcrawler turning invisible in shadow something Claremont invented? It's been so long I forget.

••

It started when Chris was writing the book, but I suspect it came mostly from Dave. Kurt was Dave's avatar, and he seemed to like giving him more and more to do.* There was a time when some of us grumbled that the book was becoming NIGHTCRAWLER (co-starring the X-Men).

River Stern quipped that Nightcrawler was fast becoming like Green Lantern. "Hey, look! My ring can do something it couldn't last issue!"

* By Stan's original definition, each X-Man had ONE Xtra power. But Nightcrawler was demonic looking, with glowing eyes and a prehensile tail. He was blue and furry. He had oddly formed hands and feet and could cling to almost any surface. He could teleport. His face was always in shadow. He turned invisible in shadow. And Shooter complained that the Image Inducer loaned to him by the Avengers was itself becoming a super power.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Marvel mutants are -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- supposed to develop their power at puberty. But if Nighcrawler looked like he does at birth, is he at least in that regard unique among mutants? 

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Am I alone to feel a kind of emptiness..a feeling
of void in the middle of this 4 days drought of
magic ?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Hey, be glad I didn't make it a MONTH!!!

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2019 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Marvel mutants are -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- supposed to develop their power at puberty. But if Nighcrawler looked like he does at birth, is he at least in that regard unique among mutants?
=====

You are correct regarding Marvel mutant powers generally manifesting at puberty, but there are exceptions.  Franklin Richards comes to mind, as does Beast, for that matter.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version