Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Filmic Format Firsts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Cast your mind back to the first time you consumed films in different formats and then let us know the answer to these questions (as memory allows):

1. What was the first film you saw in the cinema?
2. What was the first film you saw on video (or rented yourself, if that's different, feel free to include both)?
3. What was the first film you owned on video?
4. What was the first film you owned on DVD?
5. What was the first film you owned on Blu-ray?

Try to include any comments about what you thought of the experience, when it was, how things have changed, etc.

Here's my answers:

1. Star Wars. Must have been 1978. I might have a few flashes of memory, but that's about it -- I was just a few years old.

2. First film I saw on video was at a birthday party and it was the not-well-remembered Condorman, which stars Michael Crawford and a bunch of black Porsches. I still have a fondness for it, though it is undoubtedly not that good. First film I rented was An American Werewolf in London, and I wasn't even half the age I was supposed to be. Such was the early 80s rental market. The film was a classic rental -- a groundbreaking and evocative film that I love to this day. Everything about that movie is seared into my memory. I can still remember how I felt that first time as it begins with dedication in simple white type on a black background ("For Jim O'Rourke") and then we fade into the moors and Bobby Vinton's Blue Moon springs up, sounding really quite eerie.

3. First one I owned was RoboCop. Got it for Christmas (I think it must have been 1988) and I watched it to death, having only rented a few months before.

4. Contact. I bought a DVD player in 1999 (for a small fortune) and there weren't all that many titles available at the time. Contact fit the bill. I was astounded at the ability to freeze the image perfectly without and white lines across the screen and the general clarity of the picture.

5. Strangely enough, here my memory isn't as good, though it is the most recent. Where I was an eary adopter of DVD, I was a late-adopter of Blu-Ray and by the time I started buying discs, streaming was not far away. I think it must have been Star Trek II.

Edited to alter the formatting so that it's a little easier to read. 

Edited by Peter Martin on 27 May 2019 at 1:10pm
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In an indoor theater, the first I recall seeing is King Kong (1976). One thing that stuck out to me was it being daylight when I went in, and the sky had darkened by the time I came out, which made me think I was in the theater for hours. Despite the general criticism of the film, I enjoyed it as a child, and still remain nostalgic for it.

2. What was the first film you saw on video (or rented yourself, if that's different, feel free to include both)?

On home video, I can't really recall the first film I watched, but one of the very first movies I owned on VHS was "Batman" (1989). My family didn't own a VCR until I bought one a year or so before moving out of my parents house, so any VHS movies I watched before roughly 1988 would have been at a friends house.

See above.

"Shrek", I think. It was certainly one of the first DVDs I owned.

I think it was "Inception."

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 27 May 2019 at 1:49pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

1. Possibly a double-feature of Bambi with Gus, the Football Kicking Mule. As I recall, my grandmother took me, and Gus was broken into halves with Bambi shown in the intermission. After the beauty and emotional impact of Bambi, neither my grandmother nor myself were really interested in sitting through the second half of Gus. So we just left. 

2, 3. My father bought our first VCR and two videos on the same day, as I recall. He bought National Lampoon's Vacation and The Killing Fields and they were not cheap. Afterwards, the family routinely went up our local video store, Video Country, and rented films. 

4. I purchased Time After Time and The Philadelphia Story on DVD at the Virgin Megastore near where I worked sometime around 2004 or so.

5. Frozen, maybe? Whatever it was, it was purchased because it was a DVD/Blu-Ray combo which I bought for the DVD. I still don't own a Blu-Ray player. I'm impressed by what I see when I'm over at other people's houses, but not so much so that I feel I need to take part in the Hi-Def revolution myself. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Lowe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The first I remember was The Rescuers

I remember we first rented (!) a video player in 1982ish and the first weekend Mum and Dad let me and my two brothers choose one each. One brother chose Smokey and the Bandit II, one chose Time Bandits and I unfortunately chose Daleks: Invasion Earth: 2150 AD. Ouch.

Probably the original Star Wars trilogy.

Maybe Clerks.

The Godfather Trilogy

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The early days of video rentals in the UK was an interesting time, to say the least.

Regulation was non-existent and the range of choices seemed dizzying. It was always exciting to head into a store (sometimes just a newsagent in the really early days) and see what lurid and unexpected tale was on offer.

Nearly always, I was renting films I neither knew nothing about nor had heard of before, but that made it even more fun. And everything was laid out together: old and new, prestigious or obscure, family-friendly or gory shocker (things seemed to lean heavily toward the latter). Sometimes you found a gem, sometimes you chose a damp squib (David, your mention of Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD made me chuckle out loud).

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

1. Disney’s PETER PAN, in re-release.

2. THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING.

3. Same. I plunged into the technology head first, with a brand new Betamax and this movie—which cost $179!

4. Can’t recall. Maybe THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

5. MR. RIGHT (Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick).

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

1. What was the first film you saw in the cinema? PLANET OF THE APES as a triple feature at the drive-in along with BENEATH... and ESCAPE...(new release).

2. What was the first film you saw on video (or rented yourself, if that's different, feel free to include both)? Best guess would be VIDEODROME

3. What was the first film you owned on video? CLASH OF THE TITANS, I seen it upon release and fell in love with it, so I bought it not long after we got our first VCR in '84.

4. What was the first film you owned on DVD? CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON. Came with the purchase of my first DVD player (still own it).

5. What was the first film you owned on Blu-ray? Though I bought a Blu-Ray solely to get the TOS set eventually I bought CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

1. SNOW WHITE, in re-release obviously. The wicked queen in witch form scared the hell out of me.

2. BATMAN or TMNT. Probably both in one rental.

3. WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?

4. Probably THE MATRIX

5. GRINDHOUSE

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

1. 1976:  INFRA-MAN - My father took me to see this Hong Kong import for my 4th birthday.  Fond memories of a truly bizarre, kinda crappy film!

2. Around 1979 or '80:  The 1977 TV version of THE HOBBIT - My father took me to some restaurant or state park, and management put this on their big screen TV, to keep the kids occupied... I was instantly fascinated with the top-loader VCR they used, and that you could watch old TV programs or movies whenever you wanted!

3.  Around 1993:  The original STAR WARS - Up until that point, my father and I only rented films on video cassette, but I stumbled upon this in the video section at a local KMart at the time and thought, "Hey, how come I don't own this one yet???"

4.  1999:  2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - Looked okay, but I didn't have the right TV set-up at the time, and was initially underwhelmed with the DVD presentation!

5.  2015:  JAWS - Got our first Blu-ray player and hi-def TV in time for Christmas that year, and this was my first go-to pick.  After watching this one almost all my life, in various formats, this was a revelation, and I was finally hooked (no pun intended) and embraced Blu-rays from then on.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 27 May 2019 at 8:35pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jaws is one of the last films I bought on VHS (it was the 25th anniversary version). I had a DVD player at the time and for some reason I decided to get it on VHS instead. Can't think why. Ended up throwing the VHS in the trash when I moved house... Might be time to consider getting the Blu-Ray...

Edited by Peter Martin on 27 May 2019 at 8:57pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

1. Either a  re-release of Bambi, or some other Disney movie. Possibly Bedknobs and Broomsticks or one of the Herbie movies.

2. The Lost Boys. Rented from Blockbuster.

3. Honestly do not remember. Godzilla 1985, I think.

4. Don't remember at all.

5. Crank and Crank 2 double pack.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

1. What was the first film you saw in the cinema? - Vague memories of seeing 'Bambi' when I was 3 or so.  As family history goes, I kept announcing what kind of animals were appearing on screen throughout the movie.  

2. What was the first film you saw on video (or rented yourself, if that's different, feel free to include both)? The first movie I recall renting was 'Teen Wolf' of all things.  I remember the local video store gave a free rental monthly and when it was my turn (had to alternate with my brother and sister)  'Teen Wolf' was the movie I wanted to see.  I was 12 or so.  

3. What was the first film you owned on video? I genuinely don't recall. 

4. What was the first film you owned on DVD? 'Carrie'  It had a new edition released right when I bought my first player.

5. What was the first film you owned on Blu-ray? I don't have a Blu-ray player.  I'm really not a tech person when it comes to media, and at this point, I'm skipping blu ray and going to streaming as a means of watching stuff.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version