Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Filmic Format Firsts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2019 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

1. What was the first film you saw in the cinema?

Strangely enough, I've never thought about it until now. The first movie I have any recollection of seeing in a cinema is one of the Herbie movies, probably Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1977) and I would have been 6 years old. The next vivid memory I have of going to the cinema would be in 1978, coming in late after Superman began, just in time to see Krypton explode.

2. What was the first film you saw on video (or rented yourself, if that's different, feel free to include both)?

First movie I actually saw in full on home video was at a friend's house: Back to the Future (1986), and it was probably in early 1987. We got a VHS player later that same year and the first movie I rented was Beverly Hills Cop (1984) - largely because it was I movie I'd heard people constantly referencing but I'd never seen it myself.

3. What was the first film you owned on video?

I loved the freedom VHS gave me to catch up on the titles that I'd missed when I was younger, but thankfully never invested too much into VHS beyond renting. The very first VHS I bought would have been Steven Seagal's Out for Justice (1991). Please don't judge me! Between 1991-8 I bought the Connery Bond, Indiana Jones sets and a half-dozen Van Damme movies.

4. What was the first film you owned on DVD?

I put together a computer with a new-fangled "DVD drive" in 1999, and the first DVD I bought to christen it was Goodfellas (1990). Picture quality was amazing, and I knew I'd be hooked, so I resisted getting a proper DVD player for another year before caving in and buying an expensive Pioneer player. The player came with a 3-DVD pack consisting of: Judge Dredd (1995), Rounders (1998), Desperate Measures (1998). I would add at least a dozen titles to these cinematic gems by 2001, and then, due to rapidly escalating boredom, and subsequently obtaining a proper widescreen rear projection HDTV in 2004, followed by a fantastic Panasonic plasma in 2005, I went nuts and bought 200 DVDs between 2004 and 2009. Mostly modern rubbish though.

5. What was the first film you owned on Blu-ray?

Though hesitant at first, I carefully planned my transition to Blu-ray. I promised myself only to get titles I really liked, and build a proper library of good movies. Thus, after the BD vs HDDVD format wars ended in 2009, I went out and bought the superbly restored 50th anniversary edition of North by Northwest (1959). I was stunned at the clarity, and simultaneously hooked on both Blu-rays and classic movies. Since then I've bought approximately 600 Blu-rays, and true to my vow, only a handful of duds have made it into the collection. As I've upgraded my hardware, I've found the 1080p BDs still present a fantastic image even on 4K gear, so I have no plans to transition to 4K discs.

I have no regrets - my BDs are primarily 1940s-1960s movies that typically do not appear on any streaming options we have here (no TCM for example), they're at a bitrate that surpasses streaming quality, and many will likely never see a 4K disc release due to lack of interest. I'm now in the process of transferring them all to hard drives so I can access them wherever, whenever, without being restricted to a mechanical disc player.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My DVD was very large as well. And now I live in the wrong region! I'd invest in a multi-region player, except streaming and cable satisfies a large part of my home video needs.

DVD benefitted, as with CDs, from all the manufacturers committing as one. I'd actually forgotten about the HDDVD/Blu Ray rivalry, which  -- now that I remember it -- was the reason I was slow in adopting Blu-Ray.
Back to Top profile | search

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

1. What was the first film you saw in the cinema?

I wanna say Beastmaster at a dollar theater may have been Poltergeist

first movie without a parent was Return of the Jedi think I was ten

at the Drive in Rocky 3 it was double feature the other may have been Karate Kid 2 

2. What was the first film you saw on video (or rented yourself, if that's different, feel free to include both)?

Empire Strikes back ... way back when VHS rentals was there was one copy of each never saw Empire till we got a VCR a top loader at that so I saw original trilogy way out of order 
Jedi theater 
SW on HBO in the early days of cable
Empire as a rental

3. What was the first film you owned on video?

The Princess Bride part of a Columbia House so many for a penny first movie my dad let me and my sister each pick a movie he most likely got Stripes (every trip to the rental store he came back w Stripes) what my sister wanted I have no idea

First one recorded on the VCR to VHS was Spaceballs

4. What was the first film you owned on DVD?

The Matrix somehow didn't know anything about it till I bought it and it had been out for awhile

5. What was the first film you owned on Blu-ray?

Never owned a Blu Ray

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
My DVD was very large as well. And now I live in the wrong region! I'd invest in a multi-region player, except streaming and cable satisfies a large part of my home video needs.

If you don't want to just rip your DVDs to a hard drive, cheap region-free DVD players can already be found on some markets, e.g. this $35 Region-Free DVD player on Amazon.com.

Region-Free Blu-ray players however are virtually non-existent from the manufacturers, so back in 2012 I bought a third party chip-modified region free (for both BD & DVD) Panasonic BDT500 and it's been worth every penny. Australia gets few local releases of classic titles so I had to import most of my BDs from the US.

Peter Martin wrote:
DVD benefitted, as with CDs, from all the manufacturers committing as one. I'd actually forgotten about the HDDVD/Blu Ray rivalry, which -- now that I remember it -- was the reason I was slow in adopting Blu-Ray

DVD had a lot of resistance and issues prior to release too, as covered in this article, but the ridiculous HDDVD vs. Blu-ray war which ran from 2006-2008 pretty much guaranteed that consumers who were already dubious about upgrading from DVD, some having only a few years earlier adopted DVD, basically put HD discs out of their mind. To this day, the bulk of disc sales are DVD, usually around 50-75% of the total.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 31 May 2019 at 7:59pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

1. What was the first film you saw in the cinema? - I believe it was THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG (1975) at a drive-in.  Could have been something else prior, but I would have been too young to remember. 

2. What was the first film you saw on video (or rented yourself, if that's different, feel free to include both)? - DIE HARD (1988).  Never saw it in the theatre, but did in 1989 after it hit VHS. 

3. What was the first film you owned on video? - This is a tough one to remember.  I videotaped a ton of stuff starting in the early 80s, but actually purchasing a first run video?  I want to say the STAR WARS trilogy, but I may be wrong.  Video was so expensive to actually own for so long that it never "took" for me to purchase.

4. What was the first film you owned on DVD? - For some reason, U-571 was one of the first.  May not have been the absolute first (thinking on it, it could have also been FIGHT CLUB or LAWERENCE OF ARABIA), but I distinctly remember buying U-571, watching on my laptop, and marveling at the picture.  

5. What was the first film you owned on Blu-ray? - This is as tough to remember as VHS for me but for the opposite reason.  I went all-in on Blu-ray very early on, so much so that I own so many that a starting point is hard to determine.  T2? TOTAL RECALL? DONNIE DARKO?  I can't remember!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2019 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Now that I think about it, I wonder if I started collecting VHS tapes when I did (starting with STAR WARS, early '90s) because that's when the prices went way down to a affordable level (I'm guessing the standard $19.99 or lower)... then within the next year or two, letterboxed formats became more widely available on VHS, and of course I had to have those versions over pan & scan!

And I can think of a few titles that I've bought in the VHS, DVD and Blu-ray formats:  STAR TREK - THE MOTION PICTURE, ALIEN, ALIENS, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, JAWS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS spring to mind.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2019 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The first affordable 'sell-through' VHS in the UK was Rain Man, which retailed for 15 quid in (if memory serves) 1989. By the end of the year, you could buy videos for a tenner. Empire Strikes Back was the first film I had on VHS in the widescreen format, which I got for Christmas 1992. Of course, I didn't have a widescreen TV at the time, so the picture was pretty small!

Edited by Peter Martin on 01 June 2019 at 1:34pm

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2019 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

1 - THE SPY WITH THE COLD NOSE (1966), I think. Not a movie that lives in our cultural memory.

2 and 3 - BLUE VELVET (1986). I had the video for some time without having anything to play it on, so when I got a player it was the natural one to start with.

4 - I'm not sure what film. Again, for a while I had some DVDs with no player, and the first DVD I watched was a French release of THE AVENGERS with Honor Blackman (1963), on a computer. But that was enough to make it clear that tapes were obsolete.

5 - The first blu-rays I bought were in dual-format releases, I think titles from the BFI Flipside series. When I got a BD player (again!) the first one I tried was HER PRIVATE HELL (1967).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version