John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wise.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I thought I had seen the third, but after reading a plot synopsis, remembered absolutely nothing of it. So, if Iíve seen it, it was so good Iíve blocked it from memory

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The problem is people voting with their wallets is why we get this endless stream of sequels and reboots to old franchises.

Yeah, they keep voting the wrong way!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Terminator franchise is this Escher-like chain of sequel pissing on sequel pissing on sequel. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I learned a valuable lesson in 1991 with Highlander 2: The Quickening - a bad prequel/sequel can not only be terrible to watch, it can effectively undermine your love of the original.

While films like Prometheus and the various Star Wars prequels/sequels would later give it a good run for its money, Highlander 2 remains the gold standard in terms of taking interesting concepts introduced in the first movie and irrevocably destroying them.

So since Highlander 2, I've exercised a great deal of restraint when I hear about any sequel. Everything from unexpected hits like the first Hangover movie, The Transporter and Taken, through to major Hollywood films like Blade Runner and the Bourne films, if a sequel doesn't get overwhelmingly good reviews from the people I trust, I just don't see it. I have few modern favorites as it is, I don't need them tainted by unnecessary sequels or prequels!

By the way, remakes from the last couple of decades are permanently on my ignore list.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I just donít see it.

ēēē

Why is this such an alien concept to so many people? Is there some great social stigma attached to not having rushed to the theater to see the latest Hollywood product? Are they ostracized at the metaphorical water cooler if they canít offer a first hand opinion?

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As much as the movie going experience is about being taken away with a wonderful story, a portion of it is also about nostalgia.  If we have really positive experiences with a movie and its characters, we want to convince ourselves that that experience can be successfully replicated a lot more often than it really can be. 

Some of it is observer effect; we go in with different eyes and expectations to a sequel than to the original but so do the people who make the sequels.  Whatever magic sauce made the first go around fresh and different is hard to recapture because there is so much more attention and calculation in checking off the perceived boxes with easter eggs / inside jokes / winks / refs to what is thought to have made the first movie work that the actual story seems secondary.

There are good sequels, though.  The Mission: Impossible series has actually improved each time since its second movie and most recent (#6) is generally considered the best, though those movies are much more reliant on James Bondesque situations and adrenaline escapism than incisive characterization. 

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Why is this such an alien concept to so many people?

I think one major element is that many (most?) people are simply not aware that they have much better alternatives.

Personally, once I began really delving into quality mid-20th century movies around 15 years ago, the modern stuff became more and more unpalatable. I realised I didn't have to put up with watching the latest atrocity from the studios when there are numerous classics waiting to be discovered.

The upcoming Terminator sequel trailer screams unnecessary videogame-esque cash grab with obligatory fempowerment aspects nostalgia hooks and brand appeal. At no point do I see any hint of originality, or a storyline that may offer any genuine depth or interest beyond being a distraction for my eyes while I focus on consuming popcorn.

To anyone reading this who's thinking "OK smart guy, what do you suggest?", I'd say try any one of the following movies for genuinely interesting apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic sci-fi, albeit without the same level of visual sophistication:

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Thing from Another World (1951)
Them! (1954)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Panic in Year Zero (1962)
Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Colossus: The Forbin project (1970)
The Omega Man (1971)
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
Westworld (1973)
Zardoz (1974)
Logan's Run (1976)
Mad Max (1979)

etc.

They're not all gems, but I guarantee you'll find any one of them to be much more interesting and original than the latest Hollywood pap :)

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 27 May 2019 at 5:57pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Iíve not seen any of these since T2.

I understand the approach for this one is that only the original and T2 are canon now, so this is the "third one". Similar to what they've done in the new HALLOWEEN film. 

I've seen T3, SALVATION and GENYSYS but I can barely remember anything about them other than Christian Bale being in SALVATION, and that was more because of his infamous meltdown than his performance.

Is there an explanation of why would the Schwarzenegger character age?
If there was I don't remember it.

If a sequel doesn't get overwhelmingly good reviews from the people I trust, I just don't see it.

Good call. Of the ones you named I've only seen BLADE RUNNER 2049 because the trailer looked really good. And it did turn out te be a nice looking film but was it necessary? I'd say no.

Also, I don't think there was a public clamor for a BLADE RUNNER sequel 36 years (!) after the original came out. My guess is Villeneuve loves the original and he wanted to do it, he's a hyped director right now so instant green light. Now he wants to make his DUNE film, so let's hope for the best...

On the other hand MAD MAX: FURY ROAD was just as strange on paper but it turned out to be an awesome flick that I rewatch at least every six months or so. You never know.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I learned a valuable lesson in 1991 with Highlander 2: The Quickening - a bad prequel/sequel can not only be terrible to watch, it can effectively undermine your love of the original. 

While films like Prometheus and the various Star Wars prequels/sequels would later give it a good run for its money, Highlander 2 remains the gold standard in terms of taking interesting concepts introduced in the first movie and irrevocably destroying them.

So since Highlander 2, I've exercised a great deal of restraint when I hear about any sequel. Everything from unexpected hits like the first Hangover movie, The Transporter and Taken, through to major Hollywood films like Blade Runner and the Bourne films, if a sequel doesn't get overwhelmingly good reviews from the people I trust, I just don't see it. I have few modern favorites as it is, I don't need them tainted by unnecessary sequels or prequels!

++++++++++++++++++

Highlander 2 was such a piece of trash that the director relased his own supposedly unsanctioned cut called "The Renegade Version", which thankfully removed all the bs about the Immortals being aliens. Amongst other improvements.

Fortunately, Highlander: Endgame removes Highlander 2 from continuity because of the events of that film. But I've heard the final movie, Highlander:The Source is so vile that Adrian Paul didn't want to do it but was contractually obligated, and it undermines the whole franchise by changing what `The Prize' was. (I have never watched it, and prefer to disregard its existence.)

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Rodrigo castellanos wrote:
Is there an explanation of why would the Schwarzenegger character age?
If there was I don't remember it.

Kyle Reese gave a good explanation in the first film. Terminators are infiltration units. "They look human ó sweat, bad breath, everything." Aging would come in just as handy as bad breath when passing for human.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version