Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Impeachment? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You've got a rare wit there Dick. It's rare that you show any. But I do get a kick out of your attempt at trying to sound like a member of the Rat Pack. You've certainly got the rat part nailed down though.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Re: condescending asshole

You call Richard Dick.

If you take offence at being called a condescending asshole, why not avoid such behaviour?

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 May 2019 at 10:40pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Furthermore, for someone who has complained about ad hominem attacks and just wants to debate policy, why call Richard a rat?

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 May 2019 at 10:44pm

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 2:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I looked up "hypocrite" in the latest online edition of Webster's Dictionary. Unsurprisingly, it has a picture of a Trump supporter telling others to be civil and taking offense at name-calling.

You don't debate with a Trump supporter; you yell facts at them until you get tired, then you walk away and hope Darwinism still works to the benefit of the species.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Koroush, you are one of my favorite currently-living philosophers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks Richard, if I could get you to edit the appropriate Wikipedia article to reflect my status as a top-ranked still-living philosopher, that'd be great.

Still, I don't think Paul Buchanan gets enough credit here. He's been fairly generous in previewing much of his upcoming book Origins of the Specious on this forum.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

...Origin of the Specious...

•••

Top marks!

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks Karoush. I hope my book is thought of as highly as your masterpiece Non-Sense and In-Sensibility.

For the original poster that asked about the question of why you don't see more Trump supporters on the forum, I think the answer is pretty clear from reading the replies. It's an echo chamber here on this topic. A big circle-jerk. A place where opinions are offered as facts. Not by all. There are some intelligent responses to be found. But they're like finding a diamond in a giant pile of pig slop. And they're generally not worth digging into too much in order to find.

I've talked to friends outside of the forum who have expressed the same opinion of it. And this was even in the pre-Trump days. I'm sure they could add a lot to the discussion. But why bother they say. Differing opinions aren't welcome. And the political discussions are by far the worst examples of this. It doesn't bother me, but I understand why others have no desire to trouble themselves with it. 

I enjoy reading other peoples opinions -  at least the occasional well thought out ones. I also like hearing from JB on the topics I feel he's an expert on. Those would generally be comic related, not political. But sorry, I'm not here to join the circle-jerk or kiss anyones ass. I try to be respectful. Not always succeeding - especially with those that don't reciprocate. But I enjoy JB's work enough to keep reading. He did some great work as an artist, and some good work as a writer too. So I listen with interest to his expertise on producing comics. But that sure doesn't make him an expert on political or Constitutional matters. But I'll listen respectfully to his opinions - in spite of being ridiculously called a "supporter of child murder". 

But to the question why so few Trump supporters speaking out.....that answer is obvious.

Edited by Paul Buchanan on 26 May 2019 at 1:34pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Differing opinions aren’t welcome.

•••

True dat! Just check out the sheep mentality seen in other threads about politics... or religion... or Shakespeare... or movies... or, oh yeah, comic books.

As is all too often the case “differing opinions not being welcome” means those presenting them are not immediately hailed as conquering heroes.

(Where are the people from those other threads complaining about being “attacked” when disagreed with?)

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If you think any of the other topics you mentioned have anywhere near the level of disagreement and ugliness as political discussion threads, then I'm not sure we're reading the same forum (save the tired joke please). It's obviously to the point where someone brought it up in this thread, so it's apparent to people other than myself.

No one's looking to be hailed as anything, so that's a fallacious argument. It would be nice though to try to make a political point without being called a nazi, racist, or a supporter of child murder.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

...political discussion threads...

•••

More than one? Discussing politics? (Ever a haven for calm discourse!) So this ISN’T just poor, helpless Trump supporters being meanly attacked?

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

No, it's almost entirely about the Trump supporters. I was talking about the Acting Presidential and Impeachment threads, and their related discussions within (Mueller, Impeachment, N Korea). It's funny but I don't recall anyone posting to the Forum asking why there weren't more Brexit supporters. The gun control issue could also get heated, but you shut that discussion down.

Just because there are other political discussions on the board, their ugliness, name calling and rhetoric pale in comparison to the Trump discussions. I think it's safe to say Trump support is around 50% of the country (give or take). But whatever his support is it's no where near reflected on the JBF. Wonder why? 

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version