Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Impeachment? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I am well aware of the Electoral College system. But as one analyst commented right after the last election "Losing the popular vote by 2.9 million votes but winning the electoral college because of the way around 60,000 swing voters voted around the Great Lakes is not a strategy anybody should plan to repeat."

And whoever Hillary's pollster was should still be in a dungeon somewhere for polling the Great Lakes states so inaccurately.
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Peter,

Not only did she must have poll the Great Lake and Rust Belt states inaccurately - she barely bothered to visit some of them and did not visit others AT ALL!

If we weren't saddled with someone like TRUMP, it would be very easy to say she DESERVED to lose!

Marc

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Agreed. I know candidates of both parties will focus in the final months on swing states where the polling is close. But if you are campaigning to be President of all 50 states, shouldn't you visit them all at least once during either the nomination or the Presidential campaign?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Funny how the Electoral College controversy never becomes an issue for either party till AFTER the elections. I guess candidates never think it'll be an issue to them... until it is.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Charles,

Very true!! And DAMN the candidates without half a brain stem that don't think it will be an issue for them!!!

Marc

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Candidates don't complain during the campaign because the have no choice but to play within the system. Many politicians have decried the system though. Of course, it's becoming a partisan issue now, with Republicans liking it and Democrats hating it.

It's hard to say how an actual popular election would turn out, because certainly voters in swing states have more incentive to vote than those in the heavily partisan states.

Currently, the Dems main strategy is to flip 3 states! That's all they need to bother a campaign concerning. And Trump needs to hold onto those states. I can't imagine him picking up any others.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Steven,

NO NO NO!!! It would be a HUGE mistake to ASSUME all the Democrats need to do is flip THREE states - the Electoral College system is an CONSTANTLY-MOVING jigsaw puzzle.  Flip those three (Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan) and suddenly Trump puts TWO or even THREE others in play!!  He only lost New Hampshire and Minnesota by the skin of his teeth!

Marc

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hey, I said it's their main strategy, not that they need do nothing else! I wouldn't put it past any candidate screwing up and losing everything.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Steven,

Please forgive my overly passionate response - I didn't mean to imply you were ignorant of the complexities and intricacies of the Electoral College.  

Marc

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Robert, there are certainly those who support Mr. Trump who have stated so on this forum. But IT SEEMS that those people feel that they are being ganged up on, or insulted, or ignored, or being dismissed as fools.

••

You mean, disagreed with?

Paul Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Robert, there are certainly those who support Mr. Trump who have stated so on this forum. But IT SEEMS that those people feel that they are being ganged up on, or insulted, or ignored, or being dismissed as fools.

••

You mean, disagreed with?

I'd call its little more than just "disagreed with".

I, a Trump supporter, have personally been chastised by a moderator for choosing to post on Trump topics (as if it's any of his business), sworn at by a moderator, and "mysteriously" had my account blocked (albeit temporarily) during a Trump discussion. I'm sure that was just a technical glitch though. And of course add to that being called racist, nazi, etc. 

I'd love to have a good, reasonable discussion of Trump's policies on here. There are legitimate arguments to be made on all sides. And there are a few on the forum that do that. But they're the rare exception. It's almost universally the same people that end up resorting back to the same old ugly narratives. 

But if you think the forum is a bad place for Trump supporters, try being pro 2nd Amendment. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Pro child murder? That doesn’t sound healthy.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version