Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: God Exists... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...and this ESSAY attempts to offer proof.

Now, setting aside the fact that proving God exists is contrary to the most intrinsic concepts of faith, this writer makes the standard mistakes. She looks at the world and the universe as we find them, notes that they are fine tuned to support our existence (actually they’re not) and sees in this the hand of a Creator. But this is what I call “looking thru the wrong end of the telescope.” The “finished” universe supports us so nicely because this is where we evolved. It is we who are fine tuned to the world, not the other way ‘round.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A list of evidence proving God exists.

Part of number 1, that old chestnut, the eye. Anyone stating complex organisms prove intelligent design does not understand the mechanics of evolution.

Number 3, uniform laws of nature are proof of God's existence. How? What if we discovered a part of the universe where the laws of nature are not uniform? Would that be evidence against God's existence? Let me guess, it would be a miracle and proof of God's existence...

And number 6, Jesus. Wonderful evidence. So did those miracles he did actually happen? Don't they contradict number 3?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Noah and Jesus stand as rather damning evidence that God didn’t get it right the first time—or the second. Odd, for a perfect, infallible being.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
Richard Feynman, a Nobel Prize winner for quantum electrodynamics, said, "Why nature is mathematical is a mystery...The fact that there are rules at all is a kind of miracle."

Stuff we can't explain yet.

Jesus Christ. QED.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Feynman quote did seem particularly stripped of its context. I doubt he was arguing this was proof of God.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Christians love to do that. Einstein says something approximating “God does not play dice with the Universe” and they grasp it as proof that he believed in God. Context—the evidence of the rest of his life—is ignored.

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

To be fair, the site does acknowledge that "EveryStudent.com was started by and continues to be directed by a former atheist who is with a nonprofit Christian organization named Cru. Cru is a interdenominational organization partnering with many Christian church denominations and Christian organizations throughout the world. Its goal is to help many people know Jesus Christ in a personal way."

So I doubt their mission is really to explore the science behind it.  It would be more shocking if they DID have a well researched paper!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Mention "God" in any context and believers will jump to conclude that it's proof of belief (or believe that it's proof).

Metaphorical statements are lost on those whose beliefs were originally built upon metaphor but became literal... and fossilized.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

To be fair...

•••

How was I UNfair?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
I was an atheist at one time. And like many atheists, the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?! What causes us to do that? When I was an atheist, I attributed my intentions as caring for those poor, delusional people...to help them realize their hope was completely ill-founded.

Right.

I'm constantly getting atheists knocking on my door, handing out atheist literature.

And on TV there always seems to be some channel out there featuring a preaching atheist.

God, why are they so BOTHERED...?!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I guess the study of most sciences over the generations has been a prolonged effort to " refute" religion. 

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm saying that "to be fair" - you went to a Christian website, and found an essay that says that they believe in God.  It would be like going into an Apple store and asking the guy which computer is best.  He's probably going to say Apple.

I can't honestly believe that you would think that a Christian website that promotes Christianity on every page is going to have an essay that doesn't prove God.  I mean come on.

I can't take it anymore.  Have a nice life everyone. 

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version