Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: DC Just Makes Me Sad, Sometimes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I see it, over at the Comicbook.com site linked to at the article above. The articles make it confusing by posting the image seen above. Apparently,  the cover in question is a painted cover variant,  and on that cover it is more definitely a Wonder Woman outfit. I can understand that painted cover skirting copyright more than the line art cover posted in this thread.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Here’s a link to the one causing the commotion. 

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's the one Brian.

Seeing it again, it's not really the movie one as it is more softer material without all the leather straps etc.

But still clearly Wonder Woman
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks, Brian. I hadn't seen that one. That's far more egregious.

Matt, DC let Hyperion go back in 1969 when the Squadron appeared to be a one-shot and the precedents regarding copyright were not so onerous. When Marvel became more aggressively plagiaristic doubling the Squadron into two teams and using both on a routine basis, DC editorial offered a limp pastiche of the Avengers to counter the offense, limiting whatever legal response they might have been able to mount at that time. 

When Gruenwald decidedly to happily wade shoulder-deep into the waters of intellectual property theft with his Squadron Supreme mini-series, too much time had gone by since the initial offense for DC to respond. Marvel's legal department, however, insisted that Gruenwald change the nature of the villains he had oh-so-cleverly concocted for his story line (Wildcard to Remnant, Puffin to Pinball, and so on) because those would have been new transgressions and therefore subject to legal action. 

Sentry and Supreme do not contain enough visual or story similarity to Superman to warrant a Cease and Desist, or at least did not at the time of their inception. 

Devil's Due is clearly trading on DC's copyrighted and trademarked property in the same marketplace and format that DC markets Wonder Woman in order to sell their product. DC can not allow that to stand lest they lose the ability to protect themselves and their licensing of the WW visual in the future. Believe me, I wish they had shut down the Squadron Sinister back when Roy Thomas was slapping his knee and endangering his employers with the idea back in '69. 

Had Devil's Due gone with a Carol Danvers pastiche for their cover and Marvel had issued the letter, would we still be having this discussion, or is this just more DC-bashing here at the JBF?

Edited by Brian Hague on 19 May 2019 at 11:43am

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Isn’t there also the angle of wanting to dissociate themselves from a comic that directly endorses a politician?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Quite possibly, but again, the legal concerns wouldn't allow them much choice in the matter. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
...Had Devil's Due gone with a Carol Danvers pastiche for their cover and Marvel had issued the letter, would we still be having this discussion, or is this just more DC-bashing here at the JBF?...

Who is bashing DC here?? Are we not allowed to criticize a company for going after a parody cover? And for the record,  I, and others here were led to believe that DC was objecting to the line art cover. That cover is clearly parody. The painted cover is more questionable,  which I acknowledged above.

And, yes, I would have the same questions and issues if it were Marvel, or any other publisher.

Curious, Brian, who here do you think was posting simply to bash DC?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nothing specific aside from the thread title, Matt, and the general tone of the forum.

Also, the f*cking Fox News article linked to in JB's initial post is what gave me the idea that it was the line art version that was in question. Which is what I deserve for getting "news" from Fox.

Rich Johnston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It is clearly covered by parody. Remember, DC published MAD Magazine which does far worse. However, the costs of defending even such a simple clear cut case against Warners may be more than a New York comic store can rustle up.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version