Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne Says/Draws (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

Eric Sofer wrote:
why would you think we're not getting such here?

Eric, I'm saying we get extraordinary access here at the JBF and John has been extremely generous. What I meant was that JB has been so generous in the last year that I would be willing to pay for what he routinely shared as I see done on Patreon. In the last year we have sat ringside to one hell of a development process. It's been very cool and it's hard to believe some people can find fault in it unless they have an ax to grind, but JB brings up a point I had not considered.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

So I’m being faulted for NOT charging for this?

That’s some fuctup thinking.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

There is an Internet myth that the JBF is some kind of gulag, where my most rabid fans band together against anyone who dares express a dissenting opinion, and where legions of otherwise innocent souls have been banned “just” for disagreeing with me.

So, rather than consider the truth maybe, possibly being something else, there are people who will eagerly gobble up the lies and unfounded rumors served by other sites.

And as we see, this includes presenting baseless speculation as fact.

JB, maybe you should star a thread with the title "Feel Free To Disagree With Me" or "The Official Disagree With John Byrne" thread as a social experiment to see how your haters and critics would react.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

Or those haters could just man up and post disagreements in regular threads here, but respectfully and logically. In the past, I've disagreed with JB over everything from atheism to the fact that I prefer his older art style (e.g. see my post at the bottom of this page). I was respectful, he was open and honest, and while we may still disagree, I didn't run off crying about JB being mean to me, vowing vengeance.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 08 June 2019 at 5:14pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

Bloody Australians.....

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm not faulting you for anything, JB. I'm saying you gave everyone access to an artistic process that others would charge for and in the face of that generosity some people still find the need to deride.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

The gulag is but a small corner here, but from it no one escapes :)

The amazing thing is that the forum is an open, true and honest place where we enter discourse under the spotlights of our real names, taking responsibility for what we say... and generally we seem to be the better for it.

There are those, however, for which that is not comfortable. And they therefore run to darkened corners of the internet and mutter about that which they have seen and heard beneath the bright lights.

Edited by Peter Martin on 08 June 2019 at 9:27pm

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

John Byrne wrote:
Bloody Australians....

Uh oh... I can see the local news headlines tomorrow:

Dark Phoenix Creator Insults Australia
Calls for movie boycott as John Byrne lets loose tirade against nation

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 9  

Be careful Australia. Remember what he did to the
Asparagus people.

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 10  

Also remember what he did to Tarnak IV, the Skrull Throneworld!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 11  

The amazing thing is that the forum is an open, true and honest place where we enter discourse under the spotlights of our real names, taking responsibility for what we say... and generally we seem to be the better for it.

There are those, however, for which that is not comfortable. And they therefore run to darkened corners of the internet and mutter about that which they have seen and heard beneath the bright lights.

•••

When I was originally establishing a presence online I was amused by the ability to create whimsical pseudonyms. Some may recall that for a (very) short time I frequented AOL chat rooms as “JON 2000”.

But I quickly saw the basic problem. Screen names allowed people to create “secret identities”, and for some—many—that rapidly transformed them into Crusaders, fighting the Good Fight again whatever ills they perceived—even if they were strictly in their own minds.

For all I know, half the names on the JBF are fake, but our Real Names Only rule at least forces even imposters to behave themselves, and for those who don’t, the Mods and I have a handy NUKE option.

(One of the odder things I’ve seen online is people bragging about posting here “for years” under false names and “fooling everyone”. As if a fake name is some kind of brilliant disguise. The point seems to be missed that having survived so long means they, too, must be behaving themselves!)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 12  

Tangent: When I was board administrator for the Captain Comics board (a fine endeavor), I insisted that members use their real  names. I just feel that if someone has a mask to hide behind, and that mask is the only representation that others get, they gain the power of anonymity to make outrageous and unreasonable statements.

I had, and have, no problem with folks posting their opinions - but with their own names, so that they can feel accountable. That cuts down on some of the trash pretty quickly. (And no, I don't mean pistachio ice cream.)

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version