Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB Val Kilmer as Batman Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2019 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mr. Byrne, what was your opinion of the casting of Val Kilmer as the Cape Crusader?  Appearance, and production photos and what you saw of him in the movie Batman Forever?  Was he an improvement to Michael Keaton and do you feel he should've played the character again in a sequel?  
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 April 2019 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Simply put, I didnít really care for any big screen interpretation of Batman/Bruce Wayne until Christian Bale, and sadly, that went south quickly.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2019 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I felt that in an actually not-shitty movie, George Clooney could have been a great Batman.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2019 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I felt that in an actually not-shitty movie, George Clooney could have been a great Batman.

IMO, Clooney would make a better Wonder Man than Batman.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Val Kilmer was not that movie's biggest problem, but he didn't help. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Kilmer acted like all of his scenes were shot at 3am with only 90 minutes of sleep.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Kilmer acted like all of his scenes were shot at 3am with only 90 minutes of sleep.
------------------------------------------------

With the exception of Tombstone, this could be equally posted in a thread about every movie he's ever been in.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

-------------------------------------
I disagree.  Clooney today has expanded on his actual acting chops since then, but he's still a better producer than actor.  At the time he was in Batman and Robin, he was playing the smirky, lovable action hero in pretty much everything.  Schumacher pretty clearly saw his movie as a bigger budget version of the Adam West TV show.  And to play Adam West's Batman, Clooney of that era was a fairly inspired pick.  His Batman fit into that movie perfectly.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"From Dusk Til Dawn" proved to me that George Clooney has the chops to play Batman. He wasn't all smirky or lovable, and that was in the same era as "Batman and Robin." I also think he was great in "O' Brother, Where Art Thou." 

The studio, script, and Schumacher are why "Batman and Robin" failed. The actors pretty much did as they were directed. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Val Kilmer never was right for the role of Batman,  but even though Keaton did a better a thing job, he wasn't right, either.

About Kilmer, here is a fun scene from "Life's Too Short" with Warrick Davis, and him playing Batman:

Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"Kilmer acted like all of his scenes were shot at 3am
with only 90 minutes of sleep"

Wasn`t that Clooney`s excuse, as he was filming ER
during the day and Batman at night?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The one thing I will say in Batman Forever's favour is that it did try to delve in to Bruce Wayne / Batman more rather than focus on the villains, as Burton did.

The Batman Forever novel uses the Batchler's original script as it's basis before being re-written by Akiva Goldsman, and there is much more involving Bruce / Batman in that novel.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I've long felt that the lower half of Kilmer's face was too minimal and pointed to effectively convey a sense of "Batman" being in that cowl. There were frequently scenes wherein he and Chris O'Donnell's Robin appeared to be of similar ages. I read a review recently that said that there is a lot more Jim Carrey in that movie than you may recall, and I'm reluctant to revisit it for that reason, among others.

My favorite line made at the film's expense comes from Peter David who said that Tommy Lee Jones pulled off the remarkable trick of making Two-Face one-note.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Wow, you jogged my memory of being excited to hear that Tommy Lee Jones was going to play Two-Face. "Disappointment" is an understatement.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"I've long felt that the lower half of Kilmer's face was too minimal and pointed to effectively convey a sense of "Batman" being in that cowl."

Jon Hamm and his square jaw was made for a superhero movie. What a missed opportunity.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Didn't like the news of Kilmer's casting way back when, but he gave an acceptable performance -- as Petter said, the movie had much bigger problems. Tommy Lee Jones seemed to think he should play Two-Face as if he was some kind of derivative of the Joker, laughing maniacally at everything. Jim Carrey's choice of how to play the Riddler was quintessential 90s Jim Carrey... Totally over the top without any ounce of restraint and more Jim Carrey than Edward Nygma. Batman/Bruce Wayne in comparison was pretty good, as was Nicole Kidman as Chase Meridian. But those villains ruined it. The villains in the Burton films unbalanced things, but at least the villains were interesting to watch! Two-Face and the Riddler were truly terrible in Batman Forever.

Of course, Batman and Robin makes the film look like a masterpiece in comparison.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I maintain that Batman Forever does have the best Jim Carrey line ever when he says, "If knowledge is power... THEN A... GOD... AM... I!!!"  and then follows it up with, "Was that over the top? I'm never sure."

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

BATMAN FOREVER is only movie of those four that I rarely ever watch. I've seen it *maybe* 5 times total. (BATMAN RETURNS is the one I've watched the most.)

Tommy Lee Jones was a waste as Two-Face, and must've either paid off a favor or really needed the check. They should have stuck with Billy Dee Williams.

Jim Carrey was completely wrong for the Riddler, and would've been a better choice for one of Batman's more insane villains. Riddler isn't really crazy other than having a fixation on riddles and puzzles. The costumes didn't help, either. Why the red hair and makeup mask instead of an actual mask? And the less said about the outfit he wore at the end, the better....

Joel Schumacher wasn't a great choice for director, either. I'm a fan of some of his other work, but didn't care for him on either Batman film, though I think he did a better job directing BATMAN AND ROBIN.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

------------------------------------------------

With the exception of Tombstone, this could be equally posted in a thread about every movie he's ever been in.

Arguably Tombstone was the one role that he needed to look like he had only had 90 minutes of sleep.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote: "Jim Carrey was completely wrong for the Riddler, and would've been a better choice for one of Batman's more insane villains. Riddler isn't really crazy other than having a fixation on riddles and puzzles."

Have you not seen Frank Gorshin in the role? I put in a Batman disc once just to freak out my then-17-year old nephew with the wildness of Gorshin's performance. Mission accomplished.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

After Caesar Romero's Joker, Gorshin's Riddler is my second favorite villain from the 60's show. Julia Newmar's Catwoman would be up there with them had she stuck around and not been replaced by Earha Kitt. (And I'd like to forget John Astin took over as the Riddler for a story.)

Gorshin's Riddler was more evil than outright crazy, other than that laugh. Jim Carrey's Riddler was too over the top, and most definitely nuts.

Also, on the Kilmer front, he has done a few good films: TOMBSTONE, THE SAINT, TOP GUN, THE REAL MCCOY.....(And TOP SECRET is a guilty pleasure.)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I agree that Carrey took it too far and that the script was not on the character's side at all. Gorshin's Riddler still seems vaguely crazed to me. Something about that guy is just not right.

Julie Newmar is unquestionably a force of nature poured into an agreeably shaped catsuit, but I liked what Eartha Kitt did with the role as well. That voice of her's was like nothing else and absolutely perfect for a cat-themed villainess. 

Where I most keenly feel the absence of Julie Newmar is in the Batman film. Lee Meriwether is fine, but there is nothing intrinsically catlike about her character or performance, unlike the other two. She feels like a generic placeholder keeping Newmar's spot in line open for her.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

IMO, Clooney would make a better Wonder Man than Batman.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Just got to step in and defend Lee Meriwether's performance as Catwoman in the 1966 Bat-movie. Lee deserves far better than to be described as a placeholder for Julie Newmar.  I thought Lee was terrific and more than held her own in a room with Gorshin, Meredith and Romero. Now, Julie Newmar will most likely always be my favourite Catwoman, but she was not as good an actress as Meriwether, and I don't think she would have pulled off the dual role of Miss Kitka quite so well. I actually tend to think it was just as well Julie was unavailable for the picture. If you don't think there is anything intrinsically cat-like about Lee's performance as Catwoman then you need to go and watch the movie again (not hardship as far as I'm concerned, it's still my favourite Batman film). Julie was my favourite TV Catwoman but Lee was absolutely my favourite movie Catwoman.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

You and I will have to disagree on Newmar's acting ability and ability to play a dual role, but it has been a while since I sat down to watch the Batman film. I'll try to get it sometime soon and let you know if doing so alters my opinion.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version