Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Dune (2020) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2020 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Jodorowsky's failed production did give us a full storyboard by Moebius, so at least there's some good that came out of it.  And Giger stuff, if you're a fan (I'm not, but I recognize the skill).

Jodorowsky recruited Giger and Dan O' Bannon (who met there) among many other extremely talented folk for DUNE.

If that hadn't happened we wouldn't have ALIEN as we know it, among other stuff.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 September 2020 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Moebius’ DUNE illustrations are typically amazing, but the have virtually nothing to do with DUNE.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2020 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB, if Marvel had approached you about doing the DUNE adaptation back in the day would you have been interested?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2020 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have not read DUNE or seen any of the movies.

Nothing about that trailer makes me want to do either.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2020 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

When I saw this thread, I thought I'd finally give DUNE another attempt. I could never get into the book as a youth. I was introduced to it in 1984, and had an awful time trying to just accept the world it was depicting. Thanks to JB, I know I don't have to read the series, just the first book as JB noted that the sequels undo the ending of the first novel. 

One of the problems I had with the story is its use of familiar terms that make no sense in a non-Earth setting. The passage of time on Earth is related to Earth's revolutions, lunar orbit, and Earth's orbit of the sun. So when several years pass in DUNE, just how much time is it? Are Arrakis and Caladan twins of Earth with variations in water content? With multiple moons, I don't get that for Arrakis. 

Another thing that kind of leaps out at me is the use of metric measurements like kilometers, centimeters, and so on. Those are the standards of science on Earth, but DUNE has no link to Earth. 

Also, the use of traditional English names like Paul, Duncan, and others beg the question how did these names come into being in this universe?

These types of questions plague me in other non-Earth stories, such as Star Wars. I know it's overthinking, and the book was first published in 1965, but it does take me out of the story for some reason. Still, I found an audiobook version read by a cast, so hopefully I'll at least get through it this time. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2020 at 2:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Earth is mentioned in Dune.  See appendix II, "The Religion of Dune."  
"Old Earth" became neutral ground after the Butlerian Jihad. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 October 2020 at 4:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Another thing that kind of leaps out at me is the use of metric measurements like kilometers, centimeters, and so on. Those are the standards of science on Earth, but DUNE has no link to Earth.

•••

I wondered if Frank Herbert really understood the metric system. There’s an early scene that refers to a dagger as a meter long. That’s more than three feet!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 November 2020 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB, if Marvel had approached you about doing the DUNE adaptation back in the day would you have been interested?

••

Sorry I missed this.

Short answer, no. I was so burned out on "adaptations" after the nightmare of working on SPACE: 1999, I swore off them "forever". Or thirty years, whichever came first.

Unfortunately, this stance meant passing on THE LAST STARFIGHTER, which might have been fun.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version