Topic: Dune (2020) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Times someone has taken a concept and improved it
Buffy
Battle star Galactica
--------------------------------
That Matthew guy who bolted on the Nativity story to Mark's Gospel did a neat little trick. And John added all the memorable magic tricks.

The trailer looks OK. I'll stand by my previous take that the casting seems no stronger than the Lynch version. Visually it doesn't seem all that far from the Lynch take. Whether it lives or dies is in the telling of the tale, of course. Not a fan of Chalamet, I have to say, especially after his broody and drab portrayal of Henry V.
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thought it looked competent.

"Dune" is my favorite sci-fi novel and by now I am actually kinda pleased there's no film adaptation remotely making it justice. Go read the book.

I don't think this is going to change with this version (the thing is basically un-filmable) but as I said it looks ok and I think the casting choices are good.

Also how I feel about Villeneuve in general. He's good, but not THAT GOOD. None of his films actually blew my mind but he has good taste and is a competent filmmaker. Same BLADE RUNNER 2049 vibes: it looks good, has its moments, it's not offensive to the original for the most part but was it a necessary addition? Not for me, but it's ok.

Nice to hear Pink Floyd in the soundtrack though! The band was supposed to provide the music for the Jodorowsky version.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

...casting choices are good.

•••

Slender Baron Harkonen, Black female Liet Kynes and, so far as I can tell, NO Arab actors, in this of all movies.

A better Paul, this time. A better Gurney. But is that enough?

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Peter Martin: Visually it doesn't seem all that far from the Lynch take. 

Same thing I was thinking, Peter. To me, it looks like the aesthetic of the Lynch version passed through some kind of generic-sci-fi sterilizer. 

I will say that Chalamet worked pretty well for me as Paul, at least in the very limited framework of the trailer. Though he's about the same age as Kyle McLachlan was when Lynch made the '84 version, he comes off as substantially younger, not to mention more vulnerable and more canny. 

Oh, and Charlotte Rampling as the BG Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam? HELL yeah.

Edited by Ted Downum on 09 September 2020 at 12:56pm

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Stellan Skarsgård says they glued prosthetics to him gain the 300 lbs.
Glimpse in the trailer at about 1:56.  

Also, ornithopters finally.  An element clumsily dodged by both the Lynch version and the Sci-Fi miniseries.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Stellan Skarsgård says they glued prosthetics to him gain the 300 lbs.
Glimpse in the trailer at about 1:56.

•••

Yet the director has stated repeatedly that he wanted a “different” approach to the character.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I honestly don't know if they can make an interesting Dune movie for me.  Lynch's was (in retrospect) visually sumptuous and more comprehendible than it's given credit for - but the story itself doesn't really grab me.  Which is true of the novel, but the novel has so much more going on that it carries me through the plot (which is basically the opening crawl to The Phantom Menace).

I think also a) Paul is a deliberately unlikable protagonist, b) really none of the characters are particularly sympathetic, and c) the hero's journey energy isn't there because - unless this is something he decided later on - Herbert claimed to be writing a critique of messianic leaders, so the author isn't even rooting for his lead to 'win'
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Looked epic... but the lame Pink Floyd cover went and made it that much cheesier.

The visuals are so grand... did they really need song lyrics to help sell it?

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I love the lame Pink Floyd cover. The more crappy Seventies scifi this channels, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

The worms' mouths sure look like buttholes. Is that canonical from the novels?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

... but the story itself doesn't really grab me.

If you just distill it down to just the plot it doesn't sound like much (like most fictional work). I think the incredibly dense world building and the (dare I say it?) philosophy within and its historical parallels are Dune's fortes.

Those things are very hard to translate into film, of course. They are doing two films just for the first novel, let's see how it goes. Probably a mini-series would be the right format but they already tried that too (it's kinda cheap but I mostly liked the SyFy version). Or Jodorowsky's planned 14-hour epic.

Probably nothing could make the novel justice but I'm liking it a bit more the more I watch the trailer. But I even like Lynch's Dune too, as a cultural artifact mostly and companion stuff to the novel while never being able to replace it. 

This new films will probably have the same fate, probably better reviews but I'm not seeing "Dune" becoming the next "Star Wars" or anything. And that's good. The novel influenced the original STAR WARS enough anyway.

Herbert claimed to be writing a critique of messianic leaders, so the author isn't even rooting for his lead to 'win'

In a way, yeah. I think he's right on that one too.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 September 2020 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

One of the great disappointments of my younger days was reading DUNE MESSIAH and finding it began with the Jihad sweeping across the galaxy—the very thing Paul, in DUNE, claimed he wanted to prevent.

If Herbert wanted the work to be “anti-messianic” he did a good job of hiding that fact for the whole first volume. Or should we add DUNE to the list that includes PLANET OF THE APES, STAR WARS and THE MATRIX—one-off properties that could only be extended by tearing down what had come before?

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2020 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If Herbert wanted the work to be “anti-messianic” he did a good job of hiding that fact for the whole first volume. Or should we add DUNE to the list that includes PLANET OF THE APES, STAR WARS and THE MATRIX—one-off properties that could only be extended by tearing down what had come before?

It's been a while since I last read the novels but I think there were enough elements in the first novel for the messianic thing to be at least ambiguous. 

I do generally agree that all of those examples you cited plus DUNE would probably be better off as one-offs with no sequels (regardless of my enjoyment of some of those sequels, especially EMPIRE).

...it began with the Jihad sweeping across the galaxy...

I've also noticed they replaced "Jihad" with "Crusade" on the trailer... that's definitely a lot to unpack.

It would also explain the lack of arabic actors that you mentioned. Too much of a hot topic to make that parallelism so overt I'm guessing.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version