Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The breakdown of a la carte programming Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I warned people about this years ago. So did Doug Jones. Some here were adamant that a la carte programming would benefit the consumer by reducing their cost to only that which they wanted to see. Knowing the industry as well as I do, I pushed back but was met with quite a bit of resistance. Half a decade later, the a la carte method has won out but has ultimately resulted in next to zero savings and, in many cases, consumers are paying more to get the same content as if you'd subscribed to cable or satellite and just recorded what you wanted to watch and ignored the rest.

I also saw this happening years ago.
Back to Top profile | search

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I guess my household is unique. We don't watch sports in any capacity and cut the cord a decade ago. The few times we do watch broadcast tv (once or twice a year) we use a digital antenna to capture it OTA. We have netflix and Amazon Prime but I rarely watch Prime video (prime is also reduced because I have student discount).

I pay for internet as I would without streaming video. Any shows that are only on HBO I wait for the library to get on Dvd or Bluray and rent them.

On demand and endless content has made appointment tv pointless for us. We watch what we want when we want and pay 50% less than if we had cable. It works for us.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The more the streaming services split up and get to the point where it's just as expensive as cable the more people they will drive back to cable and satellite providers. As it is I have high speed internet and Netflix and HBO and Prime and commerical free Hulu and CBS All Access cheaper than I could have local cable. But that won't last if they keep splitting up all the content into more streaming services.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not so unique Robin. You described our current configuration exactly, OTA, Netflix and Prime.

Some Canadian networks have open access to recent episodes of current tv shows. It is very convenient for those missed recordings.

I have looked at other streaming services, but I can't work up any enthusiasm for any of them.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

THE LAST STRAW!

Comcast moved TCM to a premium package, Sports Tier, of all the dickish non sensical things to do. Extra $10 a month.

I've cut the cord and subscribed to Sling (Blue). Which carries my local Fox Sports channel, $25 a month ($15 first month). They also have a deal for a free Airtv antenna for your local stations.

F#%K YOU Comcast!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I will actively avoid moving to an area that has only Comcast. They were the only provider to consitently have data caps and overage charges for home Internet connections, which is ridiculous in this day and age. I believe I've read that AT&T is trying to pull the same crap.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Since I last posted in this discussion, we downgraded by dumping all the premium channels and several others. Did this a few days after the Game of Thrones finale. We ended up adding STARZ (just STARZ, not the Encore channels) back.

Also, we've had a second internet router for years, because for some reason the signal would not reach from the living room to the den. Out of the blue a couple of months ago, Comcast said we could no longer use that setup: We'd either have to pay for two separate lines OR buy their booster pods, which cost over $100. Instead, we bought a signal booster off Amazon for around $20 and plugged it up in the dining room. Problem fixed, no thanks for Crapcast.

I can no longer watch The Cooking Channel, Travel Channel, or Paramount Network, among others. Comcast is the only option here, unless you want to go with AT&T or satellite. My aunt in another county  has Spectrum and has never had any problems with them. And if by some miracle Spectrum is ever allowed in my area, I will gladly tell Comcast where they can go and what they can do with their equipment. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Or, you can download all the apps of the channels you want to watch and log in using your aunt's account. It's how I watch HBO and AMC. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Tell your aunt "thanks" by the way. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Nah, I'm good. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login