Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Accents Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Head up to Cape Breton. You will not hear a typical 'Canadian' accent.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nova Scotians even have a different way of saying 'yeah'. They inhale when they say it.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Peter H.: Speaking only from my own limited experience, I'd say that Canadian English speakers from around the Great Lakes (who make up probably 90% of the Canadians I have ever known) have a faint but noticeable nasal "twang" to their speech, a trait they share with many Americans from the same region--Chicagoans, Wisconsinites, Michiganders, and so on.

I traveled to the Canadian West Coast for the first time a few years back (Victoria, Vancouver Island), and I didn't hear that same twang. The speech of people out there seemed much more accent-neutral, not really different than what you hear in the U.S. Pacific Northwest.

Again, though, that's only one Yank's opinion!

Edited by Ted Downum on 26 April 2019 at 8:56am

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Out of pure nosiness: does anyone have a weird accent simply because they grew up in one state and moved to another or just moved around a lot?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I work with a guy from the Black Country. People (Americans) often ask if he's from Australia! I think I confused him once by speaking in a Scots accent. Not sure if it was good enough to make him think I was a Scot or so bad he had not idea what was going on. 

My mother is from Tennessee and my friends always commented on her accent. I might of had a southern accent when we moved to California when I was 13. Someone asked me if I was an "Okie". Which I'm sure they meant as a insult. 

When I was college I worked at theme park as a ticket taker. Saw lots of people with many accents. The only one that threw me for  a second was an Asian woman who spoke with a very Southern accent. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Watching CBXFT, the French channel, in Canada (mostly for the naked ladies in the movies) I would find myself sometimes surprised by Black people speaking French.

Well, OF COURSE there are Black people who speak French, but I had been so thoroughly conditioned by American movies and TV that this perfectly natural phenomenon was a reality disconnect.

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There was an article with a map graphic in a National Geographic several years ago (well probably more than 10), that showed the dominant accents and groupings in different parts of the US. It was fascinating to see how many different accents there were. 7 or 8 southern accents etc, multiple New England, or even the Chicago and St. Louis being very close.

Interesting that as you headed west there was no dominant/distinct accent in the western half of the country. 

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It is comical to hear someone with a thick Bostonian accent try to talk to someone with a thick southern one.  I walked into that conversation once.

It was back in 1984, I went into a Gas Station to prepay for the gas I needed to pump.  The mechanic there (Gas stations had actual garages back then where they worked on cars) was on the phone with a very perplexed look on his face.

“ Yew wanna whut for yer whut?  A whut for yer whut?”

He looked at me and in a fit of desperation, he asked as he handed the receiver over to me:

“Can you tell what this fella wants?  I can’t understand a werd he’s sayin, he mustbe Chinese or sumthin’.”

I took the receiver up to my ear.

“uh, yeah, what is it that you need?”

The voice on the other end came out with a thick Bostonian accent.

“ I said, I would like to purchase a tya, for my caa!”

I laughed, and told the mechanic  “Oh, he just wants a tarr fer his carr”.

The mechanic had that “shoulda had a V8” look on his face.  “Tar fer his car?  Well, why’n he jus say so?”

Edited by Brian Hughes on 26 April 2019 at 2:44pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not an accent issue as much as it is a stupidity issue, but....

Once ran into some tourists who asked us (was with my parents at the time) if we know how to get to `Pig eon for gay'. We were stumped, as we had no clue.

Later realized they were talking about Pigeon Forge...which is pronounced exactly as its spelled.

And no, they were NOT from another country. The man who asked had what sounded like a midwestern accent.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version