Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Q for JB: Space 1999 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I’ll confess, I didn’t “get” Barbara Bain. That she was only ten years younger than my mother might have been a contributing factor.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I could have stuck with INDIANA JONES for years, easily.

The nit-pickiness on the Indiana Jones titles cost Paramount and Marvel more than a writer-artist; once JB left, I did too. I'm sure many other JB fans did, too.

Yeah, me too!

That would have been amazing, JB, especially after seeing all you've been able to do with STAR TREK the last few years.

I remember reading how Muhammad Ali's people kept giving Neal Adams notes on the big ALI VS. SUPERMAN book.  Possibly the same thing happened with the MR. T comic (I can't remember exactly on that one).  I wonder how they all felt seeing later versions with lesser artists barely getting any of the likeness right.  ("Sorry, Neal Adams, you're not doing a good enough job.")  Or I wonder if the INDIANA JONES people ever realized what a big mistake they'd made.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I’ve learned there is a standard rule when drawing likenesses actors have to approve: DRAW THEM AS THEY LOOKED IN COLLEGE.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes have approval rights of their likeness for any TNG artwork, so they get to review all comic artwork before publication. Frakes apparently never gives comments, but Stewart would often comment "Less hair."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There were a couple of actors I didn’t use in NEW VISIONS even tho they were on the approved list. Why? Because they required approval of their likenesses.

But these were photographs, you’ll say. Sure. But we must remember mirrors don’t work the same way for actors as for the rest of us!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2019 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I wonder if the Anderson people drove Joe Staton or Gray Morrow as batty with the scrutiny? I've read an interview with Mike Noble who did the Look-In British magazine Space:1999 where he mentioned getting details on the Eagle wrong that because they did get published he would take criticism long afterwards from fans. I guess one good thing about Planet Of The Apes would be that half of the cast or more wouldn't want to have input. :^)

Charlton had The Bionic Man and Woman, Emergency, and the Hanna-Barbera line... for awhile it must've looked like they were fully in the big time with JB, Staton, Morrow, Don Newton (on The Phantom), Tom Sutton... by the late '70s they were almost all reprints (though I love the Ditko reprints).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 15 June 2019 at 11:50am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version