Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Conversion into comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A two-issue mini-series for "The Orville" titled "The Orville: New Beginnings" is solicited in the current Previews catalog. Published by Dark Horse. Written by David A. Goodman(Executive Producer on the show) and art by David Cabeza and Michael Atiyeh.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The recent large format book that presented Jack Kirby's take on The Prisoner has left me hungry for a comic based on Patrick McGoohan's cult television series. Now, you might say, DC and Titan have both published Prisoner mini-series, but both were sequels* with different Number 6's to the one we saw on the telly box. I would love to see a comic set within the timeline of the show and with the 'real' Number 6 as played by McGoohan.

*Sequels to The Prisoner really don't work as, love it or loathe it, the ending of the television series doesn't allow for them... I won't say more as I would not wish to spoil that ending for anyone who has not seen it.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'll second Eric Jansen on Doc Savage....if the character is handled properly. 

None of that weird crap like when the Shadow was a costumed superhero under MLJ or had a robot body under DC, for example. I want a straight up, recognizable Doc, 5 assistants, and Pat. And any writer who even thinks about so much as hinting to a romantic relationship between Doc and Pat can go suck eggs.

(I need to find a better copy of Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life. I own the paperback published by Playboy in the early 1980's. I know an updated, revised version was released in 2013.)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Deleted because I realised there are comics for the property I suggested...

Edited by Peter Martin on 24 April 2019 at 9:03pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's strange that there are really so few high quality adaptations of books and movies.  Usually, they're assigned to people with either no names or little talent.  The days of somebody like Roy Thomas and John Buscema (and sometimes Neal Adams) adapting CONAN THE BARBARIAN for hundreds of issues or MARVEL SUPER SPECIAL with multiple adaptations of movies (the great Gene Colan did the METEOR adaptation, for goodness sake!) are long behind us.  (Besides the old CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED, First Comics did their own very nice series for a while.  A while ago.)

But if they ever come back, I would love some high quality adaptations of the SHERLOCK HOLMES and PHILIP MARLOWE short stories and books!

And how come there's not ONE really solid ROBIN HOOD or KING ARTHUR straight adaptation to point to?

I think people like Neal Adams, Gene Colan, maybe Mark Schultz and a few others may have missed some good (self) publishing opportunities.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

How about the Mack Bolan: The Executioner book series?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Eric J. - perhaps one might consider "Camelot 3000" as a decent King Arthur adaptation? I enjoyed it.

And the Shining Knight, a DC character, lived in the era of King Arthur, as did the Demon. Still, I can't recall any of those stories particularly treating Arthur and the Knights too terribly well.

Peter M. - I'm playing fast and loose (that's how I roll... fast and loose, baby!) So if you had some property and it hasn't been done to death, suggest it! I created this for chat and discussion, not restriction.

However, Star Trek and Star Wars and Tarzan have indeed had a lot of representation in comics, is all I'm sayin'.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This is a great question, Eric.

Given that it might never return in moving-picture form, I'd like to see a return of Blake's 7 in comic form.

I'd love to see something inspired by the massive high-fantasy novels of Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont, the Malazan Book of the Fallen and related series. A gigantic cast of visually distinctive characters; epic storylines rife with magic and large-scale warfare and dragons and flying cities and undead cavemen...the right creators would have the ingredients for some really amazing comics. 

Brian Hague: I wonder if a Marvel take on DC's "Batman '66" and "Wonder Woman '77" titles might work...

Brian, I would LOVE that book!

Edited by Ted Downum on 25 April 2019 at 10:33am

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There is a truly bizarre Taiwanese movie called Inframan that I would love to see become a comic.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

perhaps one might consider "Camelot 3000" as a decent King Arthur adaptation?

Hey Eric S - Yeah, CAMELOT 3000 was great, but that's why I specifically said "straight adaptation."  That was definitely a sequel!

If they even want to tackle an old classic, everybody wants to do an ALTERNATIVE version--a sequel or a "What If" or maybe a side story--like SHINING KNIGHT or THE DEMON.

P. Craig Russell has done a great job adapting things like JUNGLE BOOK, RING OF THE NIBELUNG, ELRIC, operas, and a bunch of Neil Gaiman works.  I'd love to see his take on the core KING ARTHUR story.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version