Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Conversion into comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We all know that a lot of non-comic book originated properties have been brought in... Star Trek, Star Wars, Tarzan, etc. Gold Key/Western Publishing certainly did its share of it during the 60s.

Let's fast forward to today. I've a question and a proposition.

PROPOSITION: What non-comic book property, old or new, would you like to see brought into comics? Please note that I am not specifying that it be done by Mr. Byrne (although who would say no to such a property?) The only restriction is that you leave out the most popular properties that have already hit the comic market (e.g., those noted below - Star Trek or Star Wars.)

The difference is that, as noted, Gold Key brought a LOT of properties into one or two issue series. If you're a fan of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" or "Gilligan's Island", bring 'em up. Even though they did have their extremely short runs, those are fine.

For myself, I think it's low hanging fruit - but I'd love a treatment of "The Orville." I would want Mr. McFarlane involved, even if he's not writing every (or any) issue.

QUESTION: What property has had the most different publishers? I know that Tarzan has been around, as has Star Trek, but I'm not sure which has been offered by the most different publishers. I suspect it's Star Trek, but I'd love to see discussion on this topic.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

About properties that have had the most publishers: Good question! I suspect it is likely Tarzan of Star Trek, as you mention. Dracula in various forms has been published by many companies, too.

As for what non-comic book property I'd want to see adapted to comics... I think most of what I would want to see has been adapted at one point or another. Still, I just thought of one that might be interesting: "The Goonies." There's several fun adventures the kids could get wrapped up in for a regular series.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If a property has *only* had a movie adaptation done,
never any original stories/series, is it still hands-
off? Nothing in mind yet, just a wrinkle that occurred
to me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Trevor, I figure that something that has already had a long treatment, or a number of treatments, is probably hands off; so, as noted, if you were to suggest Star Wars, I'd say that was kinda redundant.

If you were to select something less handled, that'd be fine; as noted, there've been a LOT of properties that were pretty short runs.

So if you liked Disney's "Atlantis" or "I, Frankenstein", go for it. But go ahead and mention what you like. I'm easy. I make single digit addition look difficult. ;)

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd like another IDW Godzilla series. Drawn by Matt Frank, because that's his area of expertise.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Goonies!, that's a goodin' Matt!

I'm thinking Flash Gordon has probably been around the block with a few publishers.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My answer to both is DOC SAVAGE!

He's been published by Marvel, DC, numerous small publishers, Golden Age publishers...but he's never really been done right!

Well, I was just given the SHOWCASE PRESENTS edition (that I didn't even know existed) for my birthday, where DC reprints the entire 8-issue run of the B&W magazine Marvel produced in the 70's (which I knew existed but never saw).  I see that John Buscema did the first issue (which seems just about perfect!), inked by Tony DeZuniga, who did the full art on most of the rest (and he's not bad himself).

Such a classic and important character--you'd think there would be long runs done by top talent--like Neal Adams (who did ONE pin-up in my volume).  Rich Buckler would have been perfect too, but he only did a couple of covers of the color comic (though apparently he did layouts for the final issue--which I need to track down).  A John Byrne version would be great!  Or Perez or Alan Davis or...quite a few other masters!  Chaykin (of the 70's) would have worked for me too!

THE SHADOW has fared somewhat better, often under Chaykin, but we also have the Kaluta version (which was about as perfect as perfect can be).  And Sienkiewicz, Baker, and (one issue?) Marshall Rogers all got their shot.  I even liked Frank Robbins' version (that sort of alternated with Kaluta's at the time).  Dynamite is mostly going the "messy noir" route right now with him, and even that seems not too bad (at least it's a a good try), but I wouldn't mind some "names" on the book.

Referencing another thread, I would LOVE to see Jerry Ordway do a run on Doc...and even the Shadow too!

But I look forward to reading my DOC SAVAGE birthday present.  That one 50-page mini-graphic novel by Doug Moench, John Buscema, and Tony DeZuniga may be the only really good comic book version of Doc I ever get.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 23 April 2019 at 7:44pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 11:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I wonder if a Marvel take on DC's "Batman '66" and "Wonder Woman '77" titles might work; "The Incredible Hulk '78" featuring David Banner's travels across the U.S. and possibly in foreign countries, seeking out the top researchers into gamma radiation and mutation, trying to find a cure for "the raging spirit that dwells within him." As a bonus, he could team up with other Marvel properties as they were portrayed at the time; Steve Rogers Jr. in his scramble van, living the life of a beach bum as he occasionally takes on a government mission as the FLAG-serum empowered Captain America; light-hearted, curly-topped hospital psychologist Stephen Strange in his new role as Earth's Sorcerer Supreme; Earnest and kind-hearted Peter Parker, who gained his powers in his early twenties and is constantly beset by savvy, smart-ass female reporters determined to prove he's really Spider-Man; blind attorney Matt Murdock in his black bodystocking; nerdy doctor Don Blake who is able to summon the spirit of a dead Viking warrior whenever he shouts the word, "Odin!" and so on. 

And we could just invent other versions of how our Marvel favorites would have looked had they appeared on 70's era television. How would TV have treated Tony Stark and Iron Man? (Automan, anyone?) Machine Man? The Eternals? We could negotiate some of those nifty-keen crossovers with Dynamite and other publishers to have David team up with Steve Austin, Jamie Somers, and maybe even fight Bigfoot... He could slip into a parallel reality where he must fight alongside the rebels looking to take down the reptilian aliens who have taken over the Earth in another Kenneth Johnson series, "V!" 

That would be a fun title to conjure with on a monthly basis... 

Could he team up with schoolteacher Ralph Hinkley/Hanley and FBI agent Bill Maxwell? We might have to get an independent comic featuring Cannell's "Greatest American Hero" going first, and then cross over with it, but that could be a good time and a worthwhile effort as well.

Edited by Brian Hague on 23 April 2019 at 11:58pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 3:33am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

How about THE ORVILLE?

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Stranger Things and Eerie Indiana.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Wallace S. - I think that's an excellent idea!

Brian H. - I like it. The Hulk's TV show was different enough from the regular comic (or even Rampaging Hulk) that it could be a lot of fun! And I'm still interested in the next team up that never occurred. After Daredevil and Thor, the Green Goliath was supposed to appear with his cousin Jennifer - the Savage She-Hulk!

And the Hulk and the Greatest American Hero? You ain't well - I love the idea! Just the thought of Bill Maxwell dealing with Jack McGee brings a smile to my face - and how to keep Mr. McGee off Ralph's trail as well!

Eric J. - Doc Savage has seen a lot of action, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a good comic treatment. But quite frankly, I'd rather see him in a good TV or movie treatment. I think he got one movie, and I wasn't impressed.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'd like to read a comic featuring characters from the "Sucker of Souls" episode
of LOVE, DEATH & ROBOTS.

SPOILER ALERT

It would probably need to take place before that particular outing though.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version