Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: The Quatermass Obsession Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 April 2019 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mine, that is. Just pre-ordered QUATERMASS AND THE PIT (5 MILLION YEARS TO EARTH) on Blu-Ray. I have owned it on Betamax (recorded from TV), VHS (ditto), I think laserdisc, and several different DVD editions, including the original BBC serial.

And when the next version plugs directly into my head, I’ll probably get that too!

Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I wouldn't have really guessed that this was such a favourite of yours JB. What aspect grabs you the most?

I didn't get to see it until a few years ago, and I found it intriguing, but not what I'd expected. But I find any mid-century British drama or sci-fi is worth watching because the acting is almost always first-rate, and often a lack of a decent budget and British Hitchcockian sensibilities mean highly innovative methods are used.

The good news is that this movie was released in Region B (Europe) on Blu-ray a couple of years ago, and that was reportedly of excellent quality. Doubtless the same transfer is being used for the US release.

If you're in any way keen to preview what it looks like on Blu-ray JB, a range of screencaps are provided here.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 23 April 2019 at 4:14am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Good film! Andrew Keir was a great fit for the role. I also enjoyed his performance in Dracula: Prince of Darkness, another Hammer film from roughly the same time (Barbara Shelly being another common point between the films).

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What grabs me?

Well, first up I’m a big fan of both Andrew Keir and James McDonald. I love the subversive plotline. And I dig what they’re able to do with their $1.98 budget.

Also has one of my all-time favorite lines, Nigel Neale dodging potential groans from his audience: “I wonder. A name that was almost worn out before anyone turned up to claim it. Was this a Martian?”

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

James McDonald? A tip of the hat to him, I assume? 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Freudian slip! The actor is James Donald!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Still a small influence, maybe?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

James MacDonald Hudson was named for two Canadian bays and as a salute to the many Canadians of Scots ancestry.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I getcha JB, I'm also a fan of James Donald.

Recently saw The Way Ahead (1944) with James Donald for the first time, and it was interesting seeing him portray a younger, less level-headed character, bordering on angsty at the beginning.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

James Donald was really good in The Vikings and The Great Escape. But I've seen him in a few other things, such as Lust For Life.

Not quite as familiar with Andrew Keir's work, beyond Quatermass and the Pit, Rob Roy, and the Peter Cushing Doctor Who movie he was in.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 2:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian Floyd wrote:
James Donald was really good in The Vikings and The Great Escape. But I've seen him in a few other things, such as Lust For Life.

His role in The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) is of course phenomenal, so if you haven't seen that, it's a must see. The Way Ahead is also worth watching, but hard to find on streaming/rental so it's a purchase option.

Forgot to mention that a surprise face in Quatermass was Julian Glover. Never expected to see him in the movie, and combined with the special effects, in some ways it made me think of Doctor Who.

Just to elaborate why I didn't see this movie until relatively recently, the main reason is that it's described as a Horror movie, especially as it's made by Hammer and I'm not a big fan of horror films. Thrillers, yes but not "horror". So that description put me off, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it a sci-fi thriller rather than a Hammer horror movie.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A very thoughtful sci-fi thriller.

Speaking of KWAI, be sure to find a copy of the six part BBC serial on which PIT was based. It stars André Morell as Quatermass.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Forgot to mention that a surprise face in Quatermass was Julian Glover. Never expected to see him in the movie, and combined with the special effects, in some ways it made me think of Doctor Who.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Julian Glover was great as the villain in City of Death (one of the few Doctor Who serials I own). And it took me almost a full season to realize that was him on Game of Thrones, because I had not seen him in anything since Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which was in 1989.

(Can't believe I forgot to mention Bridge On The River Kwai. But in my defense, I haven't seen that in close to 15 years.)

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

People say that Stephen King's "The Tommyknockers" is directly influenced by this tale.  But don't ask King because the tale isn't apocryphal, he was on so many substances while writing it, he barely remembers the process.

It's still one of my favorite novels by him. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

First time I heard about THE TOMMYKNOCKERS I thought “Yup, QUATERMASS AND THE PIT.”

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Loved that movie since seeing it as a youngster. But the other movies and TV mini series didn't do grab me.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I've seen the three Quatermass movies, with Brian Donlevy in the lead role in the first two, but that's it. And I haven't seen the first two in close to a decade.

Strangely, I liked Andrew Kier better as Professor Quatermass, which is strange because I am a Brian Donlevy fan. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 April 2019 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Donlevy was out of his element, a faded star shoehorned into the role to appeal to American audiences. Keir, on the other hand, was in his best place.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I purchased The Quatermass Experiment, Quatermass II and Quatermass and the Pit two years ago, and STILL haven't gotten round to watching them. The only version I've ever seen is the live telly version with David Tennant.

I must get round to rectifying this!

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Love that movie!  Saw it on TV as a kid, and it stuck with me for years, even not knowing its name.

I have a DVD of rather sketchy providence.  Good to know it's on BD now.  (Or will be... looks end of July release)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version