Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: The Mueller Report Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yesterday, 4-18, Att'y Gen'l William Barr released his version of the Mueller Report, redacted like crazy - I read that nearly half of it was blacked out.

Nonetheless, it seems somewhat damning to the current administration (and ex-members now occupying rooms with barred doors.) Several people seem to have concluded that a negative has proved a positive; that because the president specifically wasn't proved guilty, then he must be innocent. Others are concluding the opposite; that while he wasn't shown specifically to be colluding and violating election law, the available information in the report proves that he committed crimes, and that a legal body should look into it.

M'self, I have a few predictions...

1) The full, unredacted report, may well end Mr. Trump's term in office, and he really may be well and truly f***ed.

2) That when Mr. Mueller starts to chat on the hill with Congress, or when a clean version of the report appears, all hell's gonna break loose and the excrement will hit the oscillating wind machine.

3) Within the next six to eight weeks, we will hear that the 25th amendment is being invoked, and Mr. Trump will be "taking a short break due to exhaustion" and Mr. Pence will be running things.

4) Mr. Barr will be impeached and it will be a new ballgame... again. I mean, Trump's cabinet and personnel change so fast, even a scorecard wouldn't help.

The president said that this is done. I think it's just beginning.

(edited for subject -- Tim)

Edited by Tim O Neill on 19 April 2019 at 12:27pm
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

About 10% of it was redacted.
Mueller and his team worked with Barr on the redactions.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

No matter how much anybody digs, this report is not going to bring Trump down. Brace for another six years, with him even more emboldened by this "victory".

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Way too optimistic, Eric. If we had two functioning governing parties, maybe. But McConnell and the whole of the Republican Party will protect Trump, no matter what. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Mueller's testimony to Congress should be interesting.

It is pretty clear that Mueller thought a sitting president could not be indicted and that it is up to Congress to impeach and remove a president if there was sufficient evidence of "high crimes and misdemeanors."

His report provides a road map for Congress to investigate or prosecute the 10 instances of attempted obstruction.

Even if Trump is not impeached (Mitch McConnell-led Senate wouldn't allow it.) this wouldn't be a good look going into the 2020 election.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

No way this brings him down in the next six to eight weeks. There is no smoking gun. With Watergate there was a mountain of evidence against Nixon, but it was only when the Senate finally got the tape with his own damning words recorded on it proving he had obstructed the FBI that the walls came closing in. And Nixon had already at that point fired his special prosecutor. Trump avoided removing his special counsel thanks to Don McGahn having some wits about him.

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"Even if Trump is not impeached (Mitch McConnell-led Senate wouldn't allow it.) this wouldn't be a good look going into the 2020 election."
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------

McConnell (or anyone else in the Senate) can't stop him from being impeached. That is up to the House. Impeachment is not removal from office. It is the instigation, by the House, of a trial conducted by the Senate.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

What JB said.

Marc

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The house impeaches, the Senate does not get 2/3rds majority (even if there is a possibility of an (R) Senator or two).  Trump says, "See?  I was tried and FOUND INNOCENT".

I don't see much of an upside.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Nothing says "Complete Exoneration" quite like...

Mueller Report wrote:
…the Office determined that the government would not be likely to obtain and sustain conviction for two other reasons: first, the Office did not obtain admissible evidence likely to meet the government's burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that these individuals acted 'willfully,' i.e., with general knowledge of the illegality of their conduct; and, second, the government would likely encounter difficulty in proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the value of the promised information exceeded the threshold for a criminal violation...

It's less the poetry of unalloyed vindication than a prosecutorial take on the No Contest plea.

Edited by David Miller on 19 April 2019 at 6:45pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"Even if Trump is not impeached (Mitch McConnell-led Senate wouldn't allow it.) this wouldn't be a good look going into the 2020 election."
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
McConnell (or anyone else in the Senate) can't stop him from being impeached. That is up to the House. Impeachment is not removal from office. It is the instigation, by the House, of a trial conducted by the Senate.

Excuse me, I wasn't being clear... I meant that if Trump was impeached, the Senate would never follow thru and remove Trump from office. Still, I'd say Trump isn't in the clear yet. Dems should want
Mueller's testimony to fully explain his findings and why Trump isn't off the hook.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thanks for the clarification, Charles V.  My intent wasn't to argue about predictions, although some of mine may differ from yours and others. It was just to clarify terms for discussion. Sorry if I was sounding like a stickler. 

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version