Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Why is it so hard to get Hawkman right Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Simonson wrote HAWKGIRL with Chaykin on art for a little while about 10 or so years ago. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Starlin did a memorable issue of DC Comics Presents (#37) featuring Hawkwoman and Superman in which she rescues him from a red sun in a heavy-gravity dimension. 

Brian, I remember seeing those and marveling at the art. I should seek those out.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There's something about Hawkman that seems to inspire some writers to get silly. Often to lose the core of the character.

Consider: a while back I inked a short story illustrated by Sergio Aragones. It was a parody of Wonder Woman, whose book I was drawing at the time, and it featured a one-panel appearance by the current Hawkman on the last page. Sergio drew the character in his own style, of course, but, being Sergio, he drew him accurately. As I inked the figure I was struck by all the pouches and flanges and flaps that had been added to the costume--the very antithesis of the sleek, smooth lines of a flying character.

And, of course, there was that time when Fred Hembeck used one of his strips to joke that the only way Hawkman would ever sell is if his wife wore his costume. Didn't take long for DC to do just that--tho, of course, the straps were "adjusted" to cover the breasts of the female Hawk, and she apparently had titanium implants to keep them from being squashed flat by the weight of the wings.

Andrew Cate
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I did enjoy the more recently Death of Hawkman mini series by Marc Andreyko and Aaron Lopresti. When he teams up with Adam Strange it makes for a good read. Six issues, worth picking up the trade. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

ITEM: Hawkman was once one of the biggest hitters at All-American Comics. He pretty much split time with the Flash on the cover of Flash Comics. He has the signal honor of being the only hero to appear in every JSA issue of All-Star Comics (although I'm sure it wasn't intentional.) His story was easy; reincarnated Egyptian prince Khufu, dating* his reincarnated Egyptian princess - Carter Hall and Shiera Sanders. She became Hawkgirl, and they were another male/female team - it worked fine in the Golden Age.

*Eventually they married, but I don't recall that it was ever shown "on screen" as it were.

ITEM: The Silver Age Hawkman, Katar Hol, was a police officer on Thanagar, with his wife Shayera. They followed the Thanagarian criminal Byth to Earth, where they became interested in Terran police procedures. They decided to stay and learn - but not using most of their Thanagarian advanced equipment*. They were curators of the Midway City Museum.

*They used their Thanagarian hawk-police wings and uniforms, and on their space craft, they used the Absorbascon intermittently - including to learn about Terran history so that they could become curators, general Terran customs so they wouldn't stick out, and the language of birds - and they didn't have to kill a dragon either.

Confused yet? No? You're about to be.

Hawkman and Hawkwoman were two rather prominent victims of the Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Golden Age Earth-2 version was easy enough to understand. The Silver/Bronze Age Earth-1 version was easy enough to understand.

But when COIE merged them... it all went to hell. That's likely the biggest problem about Hawkman. As previously noted... Katar Hol was a drug addicted rich boy. His father came to Earth and was the JSA's Hawkman and was long lived enough to be a viable hero with the JLA too. Oh, no; Prince Khufu was reincarnated into the Hawkman on Thanagar. Whoops, wait; he was incarnated a LOT of times.

It seemed that every writer had his own, "I'll show you how to fix Hawkman!" story - which fixed nothing.

I haven't read Hawkman since he became a savage, which matches neither Carter Hall nor Katar Hol - but hey, he's Wolverine with wings, so that must work okay, yeah? Maybe the current Hawkman is somewhat recognizable, or at least close to the original character.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Factor in how DC mucked up Thanagar—and Rann while they were at it.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I prefer the Golden Age Hawkman, with the Egyprian reincarnation motif. 

Katar Hol, Silver Age or otherwise, is boring in comparison, and merging both versions made no sense.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The problem with Hawkman started with Truman's Hawkworld. Until then, the golden-age and silver-age Hawks were different people and the similarities of their names and professions was just ignored as the JSA Hawks were sent off to fight Ragnarok with the rest of the JSA and the space cops were involved in their own "Shadow War" that was repositioning the characters.

Truman's mini-series and series came out well after Crisis and in-between there were appearances of the silver-age Hawks in various books. However, Hawkworld was a complete reboot of the characters and incompatible with stories published just months prior. This lead to various retcon patches such as establishing that the Hawks that had appeared in the JLA were actually the golden-age characters (never mind that they don't have the spaceship or technology to help build the satellite & teleporters). This also didn't explain who the Hawks were in the more recent appearances while the GA Hawks were off in limbo... so the patch needed another patch. Somewhere along the way, someone decided to also explain the underlying similarities between the Hawk versions, so an ancestor of Katar worked with Khufu in ancient Egypt to develop the nth metal. Later it got more complicated after the JSA were rescued. It was revealed that various bird-themed characters through the ages (Silent Knight, Nighthawk) were avatars of a Hawk-god and were being killed by Vandal Savage. Johns tweaked that by dumping the Hawk-god aspect and making them all actual reincarnations of the golden-age Hawkman and Hawkgirl, fated to die at the hands of the reincarnating Hath-set. The current series decided to expand that further to the point that he is also reincarnating across time and space and so the Thanagarian Hawkman is actually a reincarnate of the golden-age one and presumably the Thanagarian that actually founded the hawk based police force is also an incarnation.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Truman originally planned for Hawkworld to be set in the past like Year One or MOS. DC editorial wanted it to be contemporary, and that's where the problems began. 

Andrew Cate
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I will also add that Nth metal confuses the heck out of me. 

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'll say this, DC left John Ostrander and Geoff Johns with a real mess with Hawkman. Both of them struggled to pull the character back together.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Question is, WHY "put the character back together"? Why not let the character just fade away?

Hawkman is a rather quaint character, as is demonstrated every time they make another false start to make him tougher, meaner, darker and more "relevant". He belongs to an age when a big bird swooping down on a bank robber was COOL.

Let him go.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version