Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Notre-Dame Cathedral Burns Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 2:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Koroush, I understand you have a stong opinion about this.

But this archbishop lives in Australia, not France. He does not know the few following facts.

- there were indeed fires in french churches those past few years but exactly for the same reasons Notre-Dame burnt: accidents during renovation works. It was not criminal arsons due to some atheist activists.

- François-Henri Pinault who is a french billionaire (and Salma Hayek husband) spends a lot in arts and opened a foundation in Venice. If you dig modern art it's an amazing museum to visit. I don't deny he could be motivated by catholic faith but he's known as a art lover not as a catholic.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

David Schmidt, your English is fine. I wanted to be sure that we were good on our discussion. Written text is hard to use to convey feelings.

You never said that I am an ignorant American... that was MY admission. Some of us in the USA really are dumb about things outside our country. I try to keep up a little, but I'm certainly not very smart about such things.

And I do mourn the loss of this building. I hate to lose any history.

P.S. We are not sure how our Electoral College system works any more either. :) When people were farther apart and communications were not good, and some people just didn't know literally ANYTHING about the government, it made some sense to have representatives to pick the president (the whole idea of the Electoral College.) But the time when that was necessary is long past.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 18 April 2019 at 9:08am

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Like the right to bear Arms I guess...

Another thing we have difficulties to understand here.

Thanks for my English Eric, you're too kind.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

David S., a lot of our customs that are hard to understand were created back in the 1770s, when our country - our world - was a lot different. They made sense THEN; but the United States changed. Our founding fathers intended to let things change. The Constitution is supposed to be a "living" document, to change when the country changes so that it makes sense.

However, we haven't made enough changes - like the second amendment that you mention. But it seems harder and harder to find people willing to understand that we need to change the Constitution to fit our modern lives. 

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What amazes me is the fact that it seems ok to live in such a dangerous environment for no valid reason...

Hey, didn't we drift radically from the topic??

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BILLIONAIRE DONATIONS

Why not??

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Not so much of a thread drift, really. Antiquated beliefs are antiquated beliefs!

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Why not??

You mean... why should they not get tax breaks?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

You mean... why should they not get tax breaks?

••

Seriously? The headline asks if they should. I ask why not? What could be more clear?

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm sorry... I was a little bit confused after reading the article.

You must we're living troubled times in France. There is a contestation movement that started in november and it's targeting the government and the rich families which are accused to avoid taxes by all means.

As soon as Mr Pinault, Mr Arnault and Mr Dassault talked about these huge donations, they were instantly criticized because of tax breaks in a country where you hear everyday that you don't have enough money to resolve problems.

Obviously they tried to ease things down with the announcement  that they won't get tax breaks.

French Government just announced that they will make adopt a new law just to rule the donation campaign for Notre-Dame.

So should they? Apparently they made their choice... if it was not influenced by the government.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

David Schmidt wrote:
Koroush, I understand you have a stong opinion about this.

But this archbishop lives in Australia, not France. He does not know the few following facts.

I understand. But dubious arson claims aside, I think you'll find that the Australian Bishop is merely voicing what many around the world are thinking but not necessarily saying: that Notre Dame represents "Christian values", and it must be resurrected as quickly as possible.

Allow me to illustrate, using the crass British tabloid The Sun:

Let the ghastly Notre Dame fire act as a spark to relight pride in Europe’s Christian values

Ironically, the mythical Jesus of the Bible would no doubt be disgusted that so much money is being poured into rebuilding a monument to God, rather than helping the poor.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If a big mosque burned down, nobody on the French left would dare criticize big donations to get it built back up ASAP. The Right on the other hand .... 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version