Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Notre-Dame Cathedral Burns Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Christian God watches child molesters raping children and says, “Boy are you going to be in trouble when you finish!”

Having said that, Notre Dame burning is a shame.  It is rather amazing though that it lasted as long as it did.  The thing was a beautiful giant stone oven with the kindling inside all set to light.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

€600-700 million seems a lot (because it is), & I on initial hearing of this figure, thought about how quickly this was raised versus how quickly we raise money for humanitarian disasters.

However, where do we draw the line when it comes to what people spend their money on & we go ‘tut’?

To us with money, €600-700 million seems a lot & we ask should it be spent on say, cancer?
To the homeless person on the street, us spending £100 on a toy seems excessive & they could ask, shouldn’t we spend it on some food for them?

So I’m not going to complain.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

wrote:
How many medical breakthroughs have exhausted their historical significance, would you say?

I'm sure you understand that by historical significance, I mean the extent to which something is remembered as being significant by the general population, the way Notre Dame seems to be right now.

To illustrate using another example: this past week or so, Einstein's theory of general relativity was again bolstered with a picture of a Black Hole. While Einstein's theory is there in the general consciousness, and may reap great rewards for us in the future, few celebrated its historical significance, media stories focused on the pretty (non)-picture of a black hole, and that was that. Yet many are now whipped into a frenzy by the media to mourn the tremendous loss of a Cathedral, with one article saying Notre Dame's Loss is Too Much to Bear (!).

Peter Martin wrote:
If you have a beef with the three richest families spending their money in such a way, why not drop them an email?

I have a beef with humanity for wasting resources and lives on pointless things, such as idolizing a non-existent deity. I tried sending an email to everyone@humanity.com, but it bounced :)

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Getting closer to a billion dollars now...they can rebuild the cathedral with an added rocket to mars launcher on top...it has to do with tax cuts I believe...Now the French government wants to finish the restauration in less than 5 years, around the next Olympic games...

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I see your point Koroush.
We should celebrate science, give it more credit and take lesson from it.
The fact that some of us are more involved in spreading their beliefs than reversing global warming tells a lot about how we failed as a civilization.

However you don't believe in God. I don't believe in God.
So why should we even put the notion in the equation?
I don't mind God didn't save this building because it doesn't exist! But I care for this building because I love art and I'm really into History.

And I agree. 700 M euros (yes it's 700 now) is a lot of money. We could do a lot for people with it.
But we have to rebuild it anyway because it's not completely destroyed. So...

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Now the French government wants to finish the restauration in less than 5 years, around the next Olympic games...

Well THAT's shocking!

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 4:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And yet I heard a radio interview yesterday in which some sort of expert
opined that this would be a DECADES-long restoration.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Today there are quite a few posts and messages from people comparing the fire at Notre Dame along with the feelings and reactions from the public to animal extinction, environmental disaster and how the feelings and reaction from the public are different. I appreciate the structure for its beauty, but find its purpose lacking. I just don't understand this outpouring of money for a damaged religious building when compared to a seemingly opposite response for damaged ecosystems and the environment.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Peter M. - you're absolutely right that people are free to spend their money as they desire, and if they donate to the restoration of a historic landmark and masterpiece - I get it.

I didn't mention spending money on oneself, though. I meant that there are a lot of good causes that could ALSO make use of 700 M euros. 

I know that I'm a bleeding heart, but what of citizens of France who have no home and no food? Mr. Woodcock noted "spending £100 on a toy seems excessive " to a homeless person, who wants to know why the money can't be spent on food for them. There is a good point there.

The question comes then, why DON'T we spend more money on hungry people? Or on better health care so that people don't go bankrupt from a critical disease*? Or paying people to clean up roads, buildings, etc**?

Is it that it's not high profile enough? Is it that the cause isn't important to those people? I can't answer that; everyone has their own choices and beliefs, and their own consciences to answer to.

But, with no sarcasm intended; God caused that building to burn. Maybe He wants people to be done with it now? Maybe it's a little too blatant for worship to Him? God believers have to ask themselves THAT, too. Why would they challenge His will?

I'm not half smart enough (nor faithful enough) to answer those questions.  But believers in God are. There are two sides to this coin; which one comes up heads?

*At least, that's the case here in the U.S. This question may be irrelevant in reference to a French building.

**This may also be an American problem, not international.

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ah Eric. France is not a perfect place. Far from it. We have many poor people, homeless....

But we have medical care for everyone.

About Notre-Dame, there's a little thing to remind you.

It's a public building so it's a property of the State not the Catholic Church.
Can you imagine french president saying "Let's leave it in ruins, it's God will"?
That would be interesting...

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

well nausea starts to mount around here to see how easy it was for some to instantly raise 3 then 4 then 5 etc hundreds of million euros when so many issues are left uncared for (World hunger, world diseases, illetrism, poverty, refugees drowning by thousands in the  sea you name it) It kind of undermines the president's words about the fact there's no money to solve these problems...

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Sure. Today nurses and other hospital workers made a statement about their terrible work conditions that are only consequences of the lack of money in hospitals...

This billion euros raised in a day makes you think about our leaders priorities, doesn't it?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version