Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: THESE ARE THE VOYAGES, Vol. 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2019 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Received the latest volume in Marc Cushman’s making-of book series, today. While the previous volumes were full of instances where the author was attempting to craft a narrative rather than collate and report facts and quotes, the raw data and interviews contained within were very impressive. That being said, these books should be taken with a more than a few grains of salt and seen as pieces of a bigger picture, rather than the end-all, be-all of TOS making-of books. 

And this site is an invaluable reference in debunking many of Cushman’s biased assertions and fallacies:

Anyway, Vol. 4 covers 1970-1975, which means the rise of the grassroots TREK fandom and conventions, THE ANIMATED SERIES, Roddenberry’s post-TOS projects, etc. The next volume will cover PHASE II and THE MOTION PICTURE, although no making-of tome covering that film could possibly top RETURN TO TOMORROW: THE FILMING OF STAR TREK- THE MOTION PICTURE. Even if you’re not a fan of the film, the book is an amazing, comprehensive look into that incredibly rushed and troubled production. I do wonder what Cushman’s will bring to the table which could possibly compete.

In regards to this current volume, I have a particular fascination with the post-TOS era, since that was when NBC’s cancelled sci-fi show became an immortal legend which fandom simply refused to let die. So many tropes of nerd culture (good and bad) which are now taken for granted developed during this period, and I find it all quite sociologically fascinating. 

Dunno when I’ll get a chance to actually sit down and read the book, but I am looking forward to it. I may put it on top of my very large reading pile after I finish my current reading projects.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 April 2019 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I skipped the volume covering the third season, so I expect I'll be giving this one a pass, too.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I got Volume 4 a few weeks ago, but have not cracked it open yet. It looks thicker than the previous 3 books, but for Star Trek proper, it only covers the animated series. I wonder if Cushman is trying to milk out the value of every last memo now that he is near the end of material, or if there was simply more documents preserved in the 70s once Gene and his secretary knew what a cultural phenomenon Star Trek was?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 April 2019 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Little bit of both?

Frankly, aside from the few I already know, I cannot imagine there are stories about TAS that would much interest me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version