Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Friendliest creator in the industry? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Steve Bissette is a very friendly guy to interact with on Facebook, Tony, though I've never met him in person. Also he does some fantastic movie reviews as Facebook posts.  Also contrary to popular opinion, I've never had anything but positive interactions with John Byrne on this forum.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Cate
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shane - It astounds me how anyone could ever think that an artist that creates a website and forum to interact with his fans and friends could ever be seen as anything but friendly and engaging. JB goes above and beyond. 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 2:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Walt Simonson and his lovely wife Louise Simonson were both super friendly and very patient with me when I met them. Despite me, as a silly kid who didn't know any better at the time, asking them to sign LOADS of comics. (Nowadays I'd be embarrassed to even ask for half as much.)
But they were just sooo nice about it!

Strangely enough I had a really nice interaction with Chris Claremont back then too. It was 1989, when he was at the height of his success on the X-titles, and he appeared at my local Forbidden Planet in Glasgow.
I still remember I was way back in the queue, when Chris asked if there was anyone in the X-men that folks didn't like. And I sort of mumbled 'Psylocke' And he heard me! And suddenly he asks for whoever said it to come up to his table.

So there I am nervous as all heck, as my (at the time) favourite writer, wants to know why I don't like one of the characters he's writing. Now at that moment in time Psylocke had her short lived hooded/armoured purple outfit. Which i didn't like. I'd much preferred her earlier look when she first started appearing in the X-men comic. (The so called 'Cabbage Patch Doll' look as some of it's detractors called it.)

So I started explaining that if that new look was supposed to make her look mysterious, it wasn't working. That it wasn't a good look for her, and that she just feels like the typical token telepath on the team. With nothing interesting about the character to distinguish her from all the other telepaths they'd had.
He took it all in good grace and was happy to sign all my comics as well. (Including the Phoenix Untold Story that he laughed at being asked to sign.) I also had a nice conversation with him at the time, about how he thought Wolverine's origin should never ever be fully explained, and that it was best left up to the reader's imagination.

Anyway, fast forward a bit, and what happens in the books? Psylocke get her revamp where she turns into sexy Asian Ninja girl. Showing lots of skin and a complete reinvention of her character. LOL!

Now I'm guessing since he was so interested in what I had to say there he'd probably already heard a few folk on his tour having similar criticisms of Psylocke. (To be honest I just wanted her to go back to her old look.) But I've always felt a teensy bit guilty that maybe I was the proverbial last straw that broke the camel's back and tipped him over the edge to to completely redo the character!

Other than that I haven't met too many comic creators. I had a not so nice meeting with Peter David at a Babylon 5 convention, that broke my heart a little, as he'd always been one of my favourite writers. Similarly Gary Frank, though he wasn't unfriendly as such, didn't seem like he was much interested in talking to folks when I saw him at a convention.

By contrast Dan Slott was very talkative and friendly with all his fans when I met him a few years back at an event in London. And similarly when I very recently met J.K Woodward and Tony Lee in Birmingham, (the artist and one of the writers behind the Star Trek-Doctor Who crossover,) they had lots of fun stories to tell, and seemed genuinely excited to be talking to their fans.

So yeah, mixed fortunes. But I think I've mostly been quite lucky there. (Though I am sooo envious of you guys who have met JB.)

Sooo...if I had to pick the friendliest, I'd have to go with Walt. He's a class act all the way!

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"At the end of a panel, Miller very kindly drew a kid-friendly Batgirl for a little girl (who probably had no idea who he was)."
------------------------------------------------------------ -

Aww..That's really lovely that he did that for her Eric!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And he did it with a smile and a gentle spirit!

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Julius Schwartz was more than approachable.  One morning at a con, I was sitting outside an event room in one of those big chairs.  Julius just came and sat in the one right next to mine and started talking to me about anything and everything going on that day.

He even said something that every writer needs to hear:  "Write what you know, and finish what you write."

Seriously, it was like talking to my father.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My friend Sandy ran into Jack Kirby in the street. He was over the moon and could not believe the time Jack took to look at and comment on his work. When he apologized to Roz, she told him Jack lived for those moments and she loved watching him with his fans. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian H. - that's a funny Julie Schwartz story. I met him at the Superman con here in Cleveland back in 1988. I asked him for an autograph, and he replied gruffly, "Why?"

After I replied that he was the father of the silver age, we had a great chat (and he gladly gave me the autograph.) He was swell. But upon first  approach... friendly was not the first word I would use to describe him!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I met Claremont, Art Adams, Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore
at a comic con in 1986 at the Birmingham Motorcycle
Museum, all were very pleasant! I met Peter David at a
B5 Con in Blackpool, he was also very pleasant, so maybe
Jason met him on a bad day! ( I will add, that some
cretin set the fire alarms in the hotel off in the early
hours, so maybe a lack of sleep, if it was the same B5
con?)

Edited by Bill Collins on 21 April 2019 at 10:20am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2019 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sal Buscema -- reading or listening to interviews via podcast pegs him as extremely friendly, humble and nice.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2019 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"....that some cretin set the fire alarms in the hotel off in the early hours, so maybe a lack of sleep, if it was the same B5 con?"
------------------------------------------------------------ -------

Hah! Yeah Bill. It was that very one! I still remember being outside that night after the fire alarm went off, and if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, being surrounded by loads of folks in Togas, looking as if they were gathered to murder Julius Caesar! (I'm guessing there must have been some sort of theme party going on.)

But yeah. Maybe that had something to do with it. And the fact that the air conditioning did not seem to be working for the sweltering queues. Though that did lead to a lovely moment where the late great Andreas Katsulas was going around the queue giving people ice cubes. And I got him to sign my B5 cast photo. (He was the last person i needed on it too!) I don't think his assistant was too happy at being made the leaning post for Andreas to sign it on though LOL!

So yeah it was still a good con. Despite Mr David's surliness by the time I saw him. But since then I've been to more conventions and I now know that it's kinda the luck of the draw. If a guest is meeting a 1000 people in day (or more!) Then by the law of averages I guess not all of those can go great!

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2019 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This story is not my favorite, but it bears telling.

At one con, I came across Peter David at a table with some other guys from  Marvel, all the other guys were locked in conversation but Peter was alone.  I had right there in my possession, one of Peter's Photon novels he had written under the pseudonym of David Peters.  He laughed when I showed it to him, but was more than happy to sign it.

We talked like old friends for a good while.  After about twenty minutes into the conversation, he asked me if I wanted to see something really cool.  I nodded and he pulled out some of JB's pages from West Coast Avengers.

Now this was at a point in my life where I did not know how the sausage was made, and was glad for it.  So I had no idea that JB was doing this book.  I had gotten really excited and was looking over the pages, practically drooling. Thank goodness they were copies.

I stopped, and looked at Peter and I said him with total concern:  "Promise me, please promise me that Al Milgrom will not have anything to do with the book here, I can't stand his work."

Peter kinda deflated at that, but just looked down and told me that no, Al was not involved.

I changed subjects then, figuring that they were friends or something and started talking to him about the things he had bought at the con.

A short while into this conversation, the fellow sitting next to Peter got up and walked off.  Peter tilted his head the fellow's way and said  quietly:  "That, that was Al."

I felt smaller than Ant-Man that day. Ugh. 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version