Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Once Upon a Time.. In Hollywood (SPOILERS begin Pg 2) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2019 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm coming around to the movie. I keep laughing at the way Brad Pitt's character utterly dismissed the Manson cult:

Cliff Booth wrote:
Perpetrators? They were hippie assholes. Two of ‘em burst through the front door there and, and the guy hippie said he was the devil, and he said, "I’m here to… do some… devil shit." That’s not verbatim.

What do we think of the theory the ending all took place within Cliff's acid trip?

Edited by David Miller on 05 August 2019 at 9:27am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2019 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I certainly felt like I was on an acid trip.  Makes sense to me.
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2019 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't find this film one of QT's worst at all. It is probably my favorite film of his since INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS. That isn't to say I disliked HATEFUL EIGHT or DJANGO, because I liked them both, but I loved ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.

And, yes, David, I loved Cliff's utter dismissal of the Manson family, both at the old ranch where he wasn't in the least bit afraid of them and at the end of the film. 

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2019 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It felt weird that there are still a few people alive
depicted in this movie unlike other real-life persons in
Tarantino's previous films.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2019 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

‘Cliff Booth’ was the best part of the film to me.  An entire movie of Brad Pitt cruising through that character would be fine with me.  I knew he was going to dismiss them the second they stepped into the house.  Hell, he trashed “Bruce Lee”, for God’s sake.  

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Loved it.

It's a strange flick, though. It wasn't what I expected at all. 

It's more of a hangout, laid back film until the last half hour (which is brilliant).

While obviously enjoying it I didn't know quite what to make of it while watching it, but at the end it all came together. QT's done it again.

Tarantino being an LA native and uber film nerd he might never have considered that this tragic event isn't THAT universally known (like, say, World War II). While most people know Charles Manson by name outside of the US, I don't know if everybody in this generation knows the details of the infamous Tate house murders (some of my friends didn't know at all).

And if you don't know that, the movie directly makes no sense. Maybe that's why the film isn't doing that great internationally.

The other kinda strange thing is the Bruce Lee characterization. Lee's daughter and Kareem Abdul Jabbar among others came out and said it was disrespectful and out of character.

I'm a huge Lee fan but I had fun with the scene. It was unexpected, and I thought the actor was great. Lee was kinda cocky, and I could see something like that happening. It's played for laughs, and everybody knows QT worships Lee and his legacy. I think it was a good natured comedy bit, but I understand some people can be sensitive over it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version