Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Once Upon a Time.. In Hollywood (SPOILERS begin Pg 2) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2019 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Dying to go see this. Waiting on a kid free night.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2019 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shouldn't this thread have a SPOILERS warning attached, since at this point I can reasonably determine the climax of the film and the outcome based on what's posted here?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 31 July 2019 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thanks, Brian - I removed the posts.

Please note that this thread contains story

SPOILERS

from this point forward

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2019 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What a dumbass movie.

Great performances all around...trapped in a two and a half hour trip to absolutely nowhere.

Seriously.  Nothing of consequence happens until the last 10 minutes...and as satisfying as it was to see SOMETHING that mattered...at the very end you are STILL left in the lurch.

A tragic disappointment.  

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2019 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

David, there is an arc for DiCaprio's character. We see him go from has-been to what may be the start of a new career, as he once again has faith in himself and starts a new life with his new bride. We also get to see Pitt's character go from being a man (wrongly?) accused of killing his wife, to proving himself a hero in the end.

It's not my favorite Tarantino movie, it may even be towards the lower half, but it does go somewhere.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2019 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I recognized both journeys, Matt.  But the nearly 3 hours it took to get there was very unsatisfying.  

Shave about 40 minutes off this puppy (less Rick Daltonís western movie shoot for example) and give me a bit tighter connection to the Manson family and Cliff Booth (because the tension between them was a solid part of the movie) and I might feel differently.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 01 August 2019 at 6:58pm

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2019 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The movie was long, but it sure zipped by quickly.  I couldn't believe it had been going for nearly three hours when it ended.  After the applause in the theater died down, nobody got up and left until the lights came up.  I didn't even know there were credits scenes until they rolled.

The TV western shoot is the pivotal sequence for Rick Dalton in the whole movie, I don't really see how you could cut it. 

Maybe I'm the only person who was amused by this:  There's a bunch of establishing shots of the Playboy Mansion and Tarantino makes it seem like he's going to avoid showing "Steve McQueen's" face.  There's a looping shot that moves around his back.  Then there's a tight closeup of Damian Lewis as McQueen.  This is a micro version of what the whole movie does by carefully setting up the Tate-Lobianco murders and then going for a swerve instead. 

I think this movie is about has happy-go-lucky as Tarantino can get.  I'm glad we didn't just get a graphic depiction of Sharon Tate and her baby being knifed to death, I think everyone in the world thought that was exactly what we were going to get when this movie was announced. 

I am going to see it again and watch it a bit more carefully the second time, but I liked it a lot. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2019 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I credit Tarantino for basically daring people to criticize him for not portraying the brutal murder of a pregnant woman. Classic attempt at not giving the audience what it thinks it wants.

This was probably my least favorite QT joint to date, but I'm pondering a second viewing so I couldn't have disliked it too much.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2019 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

David Miller wrote:
...Classic attempt at not giving the audience what it thinks it wants...

I didn't want to see a reenactment of those horrible murders. In fact, the thought that event may have been shown in the movie made me hesitant to see it. This is one of the few times I didn't mind being somewhat spoiled on something in a movie (I had heard the ending was "revisionist" and realized it was likely going to be similar to what we saw in "Inglorious Basterds").

The ending we got is an ending I wanted, on film, and in reality.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 02 August 2019 at 2:31pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2019 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sounds like a classic case of Red Sweater Syndrome, Matt.  Youíre speaking for the maybe dozens who for some reason went into the movie hoping to see Tarantino avoid portraying the Manson murders. 

Edited by David Miller on 02 August 2019 at 5:40pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2019 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Saw it last night and liked it quite a bit. It's hard to put in any sort of category, which is something I like about it. Loved the fight between Brad Pitt's Cliff and Bruce Lee. I find the meta mix of reality and fiction very appealing and glad it swerved at the end and deviated so much from history ala Inglourious Basterds. 

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2019 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I saw the movie for a THIRD time today; it gets better each screening. I disagree with those who don't like it or say it's QT's worst film. I could be the anomaly but I'm of the opinion most of his recent films have been overrated and too much. This was a scaled down, softer, more personal film and being a person of a certain age, growing up in Los Angeles, it was wonderful. I don't expect folks around the country, of different ages, to have the same connection I did but growing up in the San Fernando Valley, knowing the freeways, the on ramps, the Chatsworth area, eating at the restaurants, going to the Van Nuys Drive-In, etc., it couldn't be a better film about the period. The ending is the ONLY one that would be acceptable to me. I don't need to watch Sharon Tate float happily through two plus hours only to be butchered. Fantastic all around and for sure an Oscar nomination for Leo (my favorite work of his) and potentially Brad as well (same, not a big fan of either actor even though admittedly they've turned in solid performances over the years). If you don't get it that much, maybe you need to be 50+ years old and have been born in LA.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version