Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 03/27/19 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2019 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's what awaits me at the LCS:

• DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 - Not a title I usually follow, but, hey, it's a milestone issue.
  • HEROES IN CRISIS #7 - Still one of the weirder titles out there
  • TERRIFICS #14 - One of my favorites, although I'm a few issues behind.  Time to binge.
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #18 - Still an interesting title.  I'm glad that the Black Cat is again one of the good guys.
  • MR AND MRS X #9 - Behind on this, the only X title I'm still following.
  • JUGHEAD THE HUNGER #13 - Ready to drop this title.

What are you getting?
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2019 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Action Comics #1009- It feels like this Leviathan story could be pretty good. Probably more of a Brian Bendis specialty than his superhero work.

Batgirl #33- My "under the radar" book. I love the Pelletier art and Batgirl has been really heroic.

Detective Comics #1000- The regular creative team is the reason that I buy this book but this ought to be a fun issue.

Amazing Spider-Man #18- A really good storyline for Spider-Man.

Avengers No Road Home #7- Feels more like the Avengers than the actual Avengers book.

Daredevil #3- The jury is still out on this book. 

Doctor Strange #12- I've enjoyed Waid's run on this one.

Fantastic Four #8- Still trying to find my groove with this one, it's not bad but it just feels like it's almost there for me.

Invaders #3- This feels like a mini to me instead of an ongoing.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE REALM #12 - Still enjoy this one.

SABRINA, THE TEENAGE WITCH #1 - I wish they could've kept the "Chilling Adventures" book going so we'll see what this is like.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2019 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

To those of you picking up DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 -- which cover are you going with?

If I can find it I'm going with the Bernie Wrightson (RIP) cover (a 1991 drawing that, I guess, was never used for anything? Maybe it was a "pin-up" in some other Batman anniversary issue?).

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2019 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There was a selection at my LCS (I was quite surprised) of different Detective 1000s.  I went with the 1940's Joker one (though I was tempted with the Frank Miller Dark Knight Cover).

I can't see the choices lasting more than a day or so.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2019 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Detective Comics #1000 - It's an Anniversary Issue, I haven't read any Batman except for the "Wedding Issue" that came out last year. Ended up getting the Miller cover, almost picked up the Bill Sienkewicz cover...

Transformers #2 - I got the first issue for free, but I came back for the 2nd issue.  If I make it to the 3rd issue I may stick with it...

Fantastic Four #8 - I've liked this book more than I thought I would...

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #30 - Fun book, even with a psychotic version of C3-PO and R2-D2...

Star Wars Vader: Dark Visions #2 - More mythos about Darth Vader, different story and artist but still fun.

From last week that I missed: 

Savage Sword of Conan #3 - I'll stick with this and the main Conan book...

TPB:

He-Man/ThunderCats - The art looks wild and the premise looks interesting, I figure I'll give it a read...

Edited by Robert Kowalewski II on 27 March 2019 at 8:34pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2019 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

SHARKEY BOUNTY HUNTER #2 (OF 6) - If Lobo were a balding middle aged guy..

FIGHT CLUB 3 #3 - Haven't read any of this yet but have loved Chuck Palahniuk since watching Fight Club and then reading Survivor which is my second favorite Palahniuk book after Choke. 

LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: TEMPEST #5 - Only one more issue to go of Alan Moore's last comic and I'm the only one at my LCS getting it. 

ACTION COMICS #1009 - Strictly an art purchase for Steve Epting. Not a fan of Bendis on Marvel or DC characters with the exception of Jessica Jones (though I've heard Naomi is good) but enjoy his creator owned stuff like Powers. 

HEROES IN CRISIS #7 (OF 9) - Main enjoyment of this issue was to see Blue Beetle and Booster Gold back together again. 

SHAZAM #4 - Keep planning to drop this but keep buying it because of the art. 

TERRIFICS #14 - Looks like DC finally raised the price of their new age of heroes line from 3 to 4 dollars. Planned on leaving this title with Lemire but have enjoyed it quite a bit and may give the next writer a chance. This may be the only new age of heroes book that survives. 

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #18 - Pretty fun storyline going on and still enjoying this title a lot. 

FANTASTIC FOUR #8 - As I said in another post, would really like to see Ribic do more than just the covers but this book has been fun and it has been good to see the FF back again after being shunned by Marvel for years. 

INCREDIBLE HULK #181 FACSIMILE EDITION - Had to get this as I doubt I'll ever be able to afford to get the original. My son was shocked at how different Wolverine looks. 

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #3 and 4 - Purchased for my 8 year old son. He loves it and has been a Miles fan since we saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse. He really wants a Spider-Ham comic too. Not sure why Marvel has not put one out. 

Also put DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 (the Wrightson cover, Adam) on hold for next week because this week was incredibly expensive already that a 10 dollar comic needs to wait for a lighter week made worse by the fact I also picked up the NEW X-MEN by GRANT MORRISON omnibus which my LCS had on sale for 65 dollars still in shrink wrap.. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 29 March 2019 at 5:37pm

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I grabbed the Bruce Timm 1940's cover of Detective #1000.

Shane, 
Did you ever read the Peter Porker, Spectacular Spider-Ham comic that Marvel used to publish under their Star Line? I also think they've published a one-shot here and there over the years.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 30 March 2019 at 5:16am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Shawn, I bought them back when they came out but sold them all years ago. Wish I'd held on to them now with some of the prices they are fetching on E-bay. I saw one of the issues at my LCS for 35 dollars. I bet a year ago they could've been found in dollar bins. I think Marvel is about to put out a Spider-Ham one-shot and you can be sure my kid will want it.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 30 March 2019 at 5:31am

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yeah I didn't even think about how much the movie would jack the prices of back issues up! I was probably a tad older than the target age back when the Star line started but I bought the Spider-Ham book for a few issues. I did pick up the 25th Anniversary issue a few years back. 

My 7 year-old daughter isn't into superheroes so I really didn't have much of an interest into the Spider-Verse movie but one of the guys at my LCS wants me to check out his copy. Since a bunch of you folks on here liked it, I think I will be watching it.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Shawn, I just saw where Marvel is collecting all 17 issues of Peter Porker and his first appearance in Marvel Tails #1 in an Epic Collection. Told my son about it and he's really excited so I pre-ordered it for him on Amazon. At 25 bucks it is much more affordable than tracking down those original issues. I loved that Spider-Verse movie even though I'd never been a fan of Miles Morales previously. It really worked for me and it turned my son into an even bigger Spider-Man fan of both Peter Parker and Miles but also Peter Porker. Really fantastic animation too.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Sweet! I'll have to check that collection out!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version