Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: My Byrne, a question about heroes killing bad guys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Do heroes kill? That's a question that I'll wager has plagued writers and editors since the 40s. Likely, there are several factors involved....

ITEM: Do we kill? For 70 years, we have known of real murderers, kidnappers, arsonists, etc. in the real world. We do not go out to kill them, although certainly it would make a kind of sense; if you want to keep yourself, your family, your neighborhood safe, you make sure that these people cannot harm you.

But we don't do that. Be it morals, religious restrictions, or just fear, we don't arm ourselves and go out killing "villains" (although if they wore colorful costumes and had notorious gimmicks, that would make it easier.) We have designates to achieve this - police, sheriffs, federal marshals, etc. They have been empowered, and have both the responsibility and authority to act against these evil people on our behalf.

This has been pretty strongly reflected in comics. There aren't a lot of citizens who go hunting for revenge or preventative action. It's the police, and our super heroes.

ITEM: What would it be like for heroes' reputations to be known as killers? If Superman or Daredevil were murderers, who could trust them? True, it would likely cut down on crime; but perhaps in the wrong way. Further, mistakes happen, and we trust* that our guardians who kill someone are doing so for the right reasons and for our protection. But wrongful deaths occur, identities are mistaken, and who would want to take the chance of going outside on the chance that they might make a mistake and get killed by Captain America or Batgirl?

*At least, that's the plan. For this discussion, I take this as a given... unless it is a specific plot point, and those are far and few between.

ITEM: There's a matter of degree of response. Robbing a bank or picking a pocket probably isn't worth killing the perpetrators. Most super heroes aren't in mortal danger enough to justify killing a mugger or dirty union boss' thugs. A carjacking, stealing from a museum, etc. just don't seem to be the type of actions that deserve killing.

ITEM: There are laws and courts that decide such things, and it's probably better for comic sales to assume that such have been effected after a criminal is incarcerated. It doesn't often seem that the super heroes are in a situation where they know they must kill or the crook will be back at it soon. Yes, it does happen, surely, but killing the bad guys seems extreme as far as super heroes are involved.

ITEM: There are times that letting a bad guy die - or, to be frank, killing them - is called for. Any war comic. Most western comics. Sword and sorcery comics. If it's a "the only way to save her is to kill me" scenario, or a similar choice situation.

But let's be honest; this is COMIC BOOKS. The idiom shouldn't lend itself to killers, I think - even though they've become the vogue, it seems. For the past few generations, the target audience wasn't one that should see super killers wandering around. Recently, it's changed; but there was a long tradition of "Bring 'em back alive." That also makes for a more exciting story, I think.

I think that comic books just shouldn't have super heroes who kill. We do not go around killing each other wantonly - even if horrific events occur far more regularly than we want. I want comic book super heroes to be something to aspire to, not to descend to.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And Snyder really doesn't get it if he thinks Superman and Batman reflect the real world. They exist in a somewhat realistic milieu, but they themselves are fantastic, heroic, beyond the normal. Not only do they do not have to be dragged down to the grubby morals of the real world, what makes them distinct and interesting is that they are not dragged down that way.

Batman existing as a paragon of justice in crime-riddled Gotham is the interesting contrast. A morally-compromised Batman knocking around in a morally-compromised Gotham is less interesting I think, almost banal.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THIS tidbit is VERY interesting to me:
An important point in DKR--which Frank confirmed for me, but which almost everyone seemed to miss--was that Bruce had retired, and thus betrayed his oath. THAT was why he was off the deep end.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB wrote:
...An important point in DKR--which Frank confirmed for me, but which almost everyone seemed to miss--was that Bruce had retired, and thus betrayed his oath. THAT was why he was off the deep end...

Sadly, it seems Frank Miller forgot this himself. For instance, his take on Batman in "All Star Batman and Robin" is a man who already is off the deep end.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Should heroes kill? Not if they can avoid it. That's part of what makes them a hero. Police officers might be trained to kill, but their intent is supposed to be about keeping the peace, protecting innocents, and bringing criminals to justice. The same is supposed to apply to a super hero. Anti-heroes like Punisher explore another avenue of thinking and storytelling, but that's what makes him and his ilk "anti-heroes."

That noted...

Eric Sofer wrote:
...But let's be honest; this is COMIC BOOKS. The idiom shouldn't lend itself to killers...

I get what you're saying, and I realize you likely are referring to just mainstream super-hero comics, but I feel the need to stress that comic books can tell any kind of story. Again, I agree that as a rule super-heroes shouldn't kill. However, I would stop short of saying they shouldn't kill because the stories are told in the comic book medium.

For me, they shouldn't kill because most mainstream super-heroes were created for a young or all-ages audience. However, I also believe that comic book storytelling is as legitimate as any other storytelling medium. Comics are pictures grouped most of the time with text, and therefore any story can be told in the medium. So, it's not that the heroes shouldn't kill because it's a comic book, but because it isn't appropriate for the audience for that particular comic book character.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 26 March 2019 at 12:25pm

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Matt's years of selling comics is showing. He is a smart guy. There are lots of comic book types and they have their respective reader demographic. Many are aimed specifically at adults that address death. If we are restricting our conversation to the American Super Hero comics then I would agree with Eric Sofer in that those heroes should not kill.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Superheroes like Superman and Batman are the best of the
best, they are an ideal, they do not kill, they find
another way. Wether their not killing a villain, allows
that villain to kill in the future is a dilemma that
drives stories and provides food for thought.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In the early days when Batman killed villains -- with a gun, no less -- he was basically a Shadow rip-off. He wasn't BATMAN yet.

And no, Zack Snyder, Batman doesn't kill -- he doesn't need to because he's just that skilled a fighter, and yes, it breaks his moral code, and because although he does basically a policeman's job he's not actually a policeman.

He's not the Shadow, he's not the Punisher, etc. 

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think the question has be reframed when we start talking about SUPER-heroes specifically. It's a lot more forgivable for someone like James Bond to kill his enemies, because James Bond is always outnumbered and outgunned, and his enemies are actively trying to kill him. As suave as he is, 007 is always the underdog.

Super-heroes start from a position of power. The strongest among them are essentially gods. For them to use their nearly limitless abilities to exterminate their enemies should never be done casually. It seems self-evident to me that Superman would never have cause to murder Lex Luthor, for example.

Anyone tasked with writing these characters should be inventive enough to find more elegant of dispatching the bad guys than simple homicide.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Snyder's movies only work with a panel-for-panel recreation. He doesn't actually get the characters and he is a terrible writer. He has a legacy of failure with the DC movies because of it.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2019 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Was having this conversation with someone just a couple hours ago, and I echoed JB's point (paraphrasing) that these heroes should be something we ASPIRE to, not IDENTIFY with.  So no, they shouldn't kill.  If someone writes a story where they are put in a position where they "have to", that simply means the writer wanted to write a story in which they would kill, rather than (heroically!) find another alternative.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2019 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

One aspect that never sat right with me was The Hulk killing enemies (and it has happened a number of times)>

One thing some writers seemed to get more than others(Wein and Stern) being the main ones, is that even though The Hulk is a destructive character, his morals are made up by the fact that Bruce Banner is not a killer and is a good person. Too many later, and some previous, writers forgot this.

The people behind the 1977 TV Show got this as well. Never better illustrated than in the episodes "Dark Side" and "The First" where it was clearly shown that as David Banner was not an evil person, by extension neither was his Hulk.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version