Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Game of Thrones Final Season Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2019 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A suitably monumental episode.

Sometimes when a show tries to go epic, the emotional investiture gets lost in the mix, especially if you're looking at CGI constructs, but dang, if I didn't care about the well being of those dragons as much as anything else! Really got a little tense when the dead were piling on Daenerys' dragon.
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The most expensive battle scene ever put on film and what we saw was... mostly darkness, smash cut editing and shaky cam? The director dropped the ball on this one. They should've gotten Neil Marshall ("Battle of the Bastards" director) for this one.

Plot-wise, I thought it was really fan-service stuff like it has always been since they advanced from the books. Not one really important character dies (Jorah and Theon were dead men walking three seasons ago already and Lady Mormont is tertiary) and deus ex machinas all over the place.

Still, the connection I feel with these characters is so strong that I still obviously enjoyed it (go Arya!).

Also, what's next? Battle Cersei for the Iron Throne? Feels like small potatoes compared to the White Walker/Certain Doom scenario we just had.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I thought it was a great episode,  and I was happy with the results.  Pretty much everyone who I expected to die did, and who I thought would save the day did, too. 

I found it kind of funny that the showrunners thought thought they had successfully threw off viewers about who would take out the Night King,  because to me it was obvious how it would happen as this episode progressed. I wasn't disappointed,  as it was who I wanted it to be, as well. But some online reviewers said they were surprised, so I guess not everyone picked up on the hints there.

I thought Jon was going to live, but get blasted with fire proving his heritage when he survived.

Anyway, the final three episodes should be interesting . 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Rodrigo wrote:
...what's next? Battle Cersei for the Iron Throne...

Naturally.  Isn't that what the Game of Thrones is all about,  the Iron Throne?
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Arya Stark

Tony Stark

Coincidence?  I think not!

Arya is clearly The First Avenger!

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 5:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have a lot of trouble imagining that this battle turned out the way GRRM outlined it.  Even the show wasted a ton of time establishing various prophecies and what-not concerning Jon.  The books even more so.  All for a misdirection? 

Only Jorah's death really made me feel anything.  The Sansa/Tyrion scene actually made me angry.  What was the point of building Sansa up as a Cersei rival only to see her crumble in the face of death.  (Think about Cersei's intentions as Stannis was attacking King's Landing). 

I guess the one comforting thing is that it's pretty clear that the books probably aren't really spoiled by the show. 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
...mostly darkness, smash cut editing and shaky cam...

Agreed. Did not make it enjoyable, even if the "night-fog" made sense.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Waiting for The Hound vs The Mountain

Arya possibly pregnant with a Baratheon baby.

Edited by Craig Markley on 29 April 2019 at 6:59am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That was incredibly brutal. Definitely some odd scene choices and moments throughout but really an intense ride. Half an hour in it felt like it'd been an hour. An hour in it felt like two. It was just relentless.

The thing that struck me at the start is how poorly they had things all planned out. I get they were trying to defend the castle but just sending the Dothraki out seemed dumb. Not having better lighting out into the open areas seemed really dumb.

I get they only had so much time to prepare but it really looked like they hadn't really sorted out all the best options. It all worked out in the end but what a tough stretch getting there.

I expected a few more deaths to be honest. I'm kind of amazed they didn't go with a totally bleak outcome. But we lost a decent number of people. Plot armor kept the ones that you'd expect to live around.

I'm really curious how they end the show now. We have one more major struggle left. Somehow that gets bashed out and then what? Three extra long episodes will tell us. I wouldn't count Cersei out. Not by a long shot.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I had the same issue with this episode that I had with several in the last season.  Once the show got past GRRM's text, it became a lot less ruthless.  A huge number of scenes that tease the death of a major character, only to have that character saved at the last second.  And a lot of major battles that you would think no one should survive, and whole armies get annihilated, but all of our main characters walk away intact.

That said, the Arya swerve kind of saved it for me.  Or at least blindsided me enough that on the whole, I was okay with the episode.  But based on the overall tenor, I have a feeling that this is going to turn into a sort of generic 'good guys' vs. 'bad guys' thing where the good guys win in the end and reign happily ever after.  Which isn't what I started watching GoT for or what I've enjoyed about the show.

Now, if it takes a different tack, where the good guys take out Cersei and her forces and then all turn on each and battle it out to the death, I'll be pulled right back.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Naturally.  Isn't that what the Game of Thrones is all about,  the Iron Throne?

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------

Yeah, I'm aware the word "Thrones" is in the title of the show (not the book series though).

Why introduce the White Walker threat then, though? From the first scene of the pilot, build it up for 8 seasons, clearly establishing this is a bigger threat than the petty humans conspiracies for the throne (even Cersei seems to be on board with this at some point) and then with a single Arya stab it's all over and back to the usual business?

Seems pretty pointless to me, but I hope the show has some real surprises yet to come.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Seems pretty pointless to me, 
-------------------------------------

That part I pretty well get.  As was pointed out in this very thread, the Night King wasn't really a character, we knew little about him.  He was more of a force of nature.  Sort of the long winter personified.  So his purpose in the story wasn't to be the villain.  He was there as this force, clearly a threat to all life in Westeros, which many characters would consider more important than their petty squabbles, but which other characters would be willing to try to use opportunistically.

So, in a lot of ways, in episode 3, Cersei won.  She took a gamble that the other combined forces at Winterfell would be able to hold off the dead but be decimated in the process, making them easy picking for her much smaller army.  And that's exactly what happened.

Martin has said in interviews that the difference between his world and Tolkien's is that Middle Earth has very clearly defined good and evil, virtue and vice.  So the conflicts are external, between forces of good and evil.  In Westeros the conflicts are internal, because everyone has certain virtues, sometimes to a fault, while also having their fair share of foibles and flaws that pit them against each other.  Having the Night King just become the 'big bad' that unites everyone would fundamentally transform the GoT universe into something it was never intended to be.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version