Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Game of Thrones Final Season Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Seasons 3 and 4 I first watched on Blu-ray and they did look amazing for it.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

InTheDark

Wow.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wow indeed.

I rest my case.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There was such a huge build up to this episode, the potential for an anticlimax could have been realized in many ways, and those could be fairly debated (and some have been already).

But this was just too dark. I have a brand new television and I know how to calibrate it accurately. The episode was incredibly difficult to watch.

Whatever else about it may be arguable, for me, the lighting was simply a failure.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Fair enough.  I disagree.  Worked for me.  I'll take it every single time over "day for night" shooting that has always looked off to me in all the wrong ways.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I didn't mind the darkness at the beginning of the episode. I thought that was actually quite brilliant and beautifully shot with the swords on fire and all that. It was once the winter foggy stuff rolled in with the Night King and the dragon fights that things got really hard to make out what the hell was going on. It was still an utterly gripping episode.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Watching the flames of the Dothraki blades being snuffed out one by one off in the murky distance was chilling AF! 

I will continue to openly laugh at those complaining about the lighting of that episode.  The darkness...the fog...THE SOUNDS....It brought you into the battlefield and made you a participant (mostly with your ears) instead of a detached spectator (like how you usually are when 'watching' TV.

Loved every second.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Reek is finally dead. That makes me happy. 

Arya was fucking awesome. 

The Daenerys/ Jon Snow dynamic is gonna be really interesting from here on out. 

(How odd is it that my iPhone spell check wants to change “fuck” to “duck” every time I type it, but it will correct “Daenerys” if I misspell it?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
Reek is finally dead. That makes me happy.

Interesting.  His death didn't elicit the same reaction in me.  I was sorry to see him go even though I knew it was inevitable.  His arc was one of the most compelling in the series for me.  

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2019 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Reek ‘died’ long before Theon did.

His redemption arc was quite satisfying to me.  

“What Is Dead May Never Die.”

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2019 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was ready for him to be dead years ago. What he did to the Stark family was unforgivable. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Unforgivable?

The Starks didn’t seem to think so.....

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The Theon to Reek to Theon arc is an acting dream. Roles like that are so rarely written that audience viewpoints tend to differ in the extreme. The life of that character was a roller coaster for any viewer and I don't begrudge anyone's opinion. I think that character is a great achievement and would point out that nobody seems to think that the character was implausible. People just differ on how they view the redemption.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Game of Thrones is all about taking seemingly unredeemable characters and giving them redemption. Jaime pushed Bran out of the window and crippled him in the first episode and other than being more honorable than most of Lannisters was basically a villain in the first season. Yet the season where he lost his hand and befriended Brienne he redeemed himself and became a genuinely good character. Same with Theon for many of us. I absolutely hated him when he betrayed the Starks, even though he didn't have much choice since he was basically cowardly and his father cowed him into it. But the whole Reek story line when he got turned into a pitiful creature by Ramsay made you feel sorry for him and then later when he helped rescue Sansa and then later rescued his sister, it chugged at the old heart strings. And then at the end he dies defending Bran. That's a great freaking story arc. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Jaime didn’t grow up with the Starks. Theon did. He was a brother to them in all but blood. You don’t betray family.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Unless your family is bad, of course. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Theon seemed to get wrapped up in what everyone else thought of him. When he turned on the Starks, it was to please his father, yet, as I recall, when he first saw the bodies he believed to be that of Bran and his brother, Theon had this look on his face that made it clear to me that he wasn't exactly happy with the outcome. He made horrible choices and did horrible things, but I think a lot of what he did was because of his confusion as to whom he really was

I think Theon was more redeemable than Jaimie, who seems to get a pass on attempted and intentional child murder, and other horrible acts, because he was nice to Brienne and because of his looks.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I think Theon was more redeemable than Jaimie, who seems to get a pass on attempted and intentional child murder, and other horrible acts, because he was nice to Brienne and because of his looks.

-----

I think it's more than that. Hearing the whole story about his murder of Aerys Targaryen recontextualized him a lot. He saved the entire city from going up in wildfire, and for that, he was rewarded by everyone looking down on him as the Kingslayer. You understand why he embraced being a callous asshole, because that's what everyone expected of him. Having Tywin for a father was no help either.

He tried to kill Bran and was a dick about it, but it's also true that if Robert found out about the affair, he'd probably have Cersei killed. He was trying to protect his lover and his sister. The same goes for his attack on Ned Stark.

In addition to Brienne, his relationship with Tyrion shows that he can be a caring person.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Good points,  Michael. 

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I enjoyed the darkness, I think it helped to show the horror of what such a
battle would really be like.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I'm in the "It was hugely disappointing" camp.  This battle should have been better than "Blackwater" but it failed in almost every way.  It is not entertaining to try to decipher what is going on when you are a TV viewer straining at a 4K image of murk.  That Variety article posted above was a ridiculous doubling down on a poor choice.

I'm convinced the Arya stuff was created solely to sell t-shirts.  (There are hundreds of different ones in ad-streams on social media as I type this that offer variants on flying Arya, Not Today, etc).  Even the show version of the story has plenty of prophecies, and the rationalizations that I've heard, such as all of those prophecies were seeded 1000s of years ago as a bluff to make the Night's King relax his guard, are ridiculous.

Unlike Blackwater, nothing in The Long Night (including the title) makes any sense.  Things that are done for dramatic effect (example, Arya's blood drip being louder than her moving around?) or ludicrous battle tactics and action that exists only to thin out the troops for the inevitable confrontation with the drunk woman who apparently is the big boss of this TV series.  

Arya loses her ninja abilities when she gets a head bump, and spends 20 minutes sneaking around the library at Winterfell, which apparently survived the castle being burnt TWICE.  She gets her powers back after a pep talk from Melisandre whose conversation about eyes is a FAKE callback because the earlier eyes conversation was all about Arya's "list" and nothing else. 

Even fanfic makes more sense at this point. 

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

only to thin out the troops for the inevitable confrontation with the drunk
woman who apparently is the big boss of this TV series.
_________
I haven't seen every bit of GOT but I've watched a fair amount, who the heck is
the drunk woman? If it's Cersei I must've missed a lot

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I enjoyed tonight's episode.  Looks like things are about to get real between Dany and Cersei!

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Good episode. I prefer the "scheming" episodes over the "battle" episodes evidently.

I was almost sure Tyrion was gonna croak in that final scene. Felt like that was what the story was asking for. I'm glad he didn't though, as I obviously love him and the fan uproar would've been outrageous.

I like Jon a lot too from the very beginning but he's suffering from "too much earnestness" syndrome. Don't see "King Material" there.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 05 May 2019 at 10:51pm

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The sheer amount of contrivance since the writers ran out of book material boggles the mind.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version