Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Game of Thrones Final Season Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Mountain was more or less Friday the 13th Part 6 Jason Voorhees.

There have been signs that something wasn't quite right with Dany for several seasons.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

We may have had reason to worry when Dany got super turned-on as Khal Drogo gave his enthusiastic litany of what he was going to do to Westeros for trying to kill his Khaleesi 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Dany has long been steely and fearsome, but I do not agree that she has been unhinged for a long time. In my opinion, that is something they have pulled out of their arse this season. And for my money, this was one of the worst episodes yet.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What I had a problem with was the soldiers attacking innocent people in the city. The Dothraki I can understand doing it. But the soldiers from the North, no.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't think she was unhinged for a long time, but in retrospect it has been growing (as noted by the show runners) for a long time. She has been betrayed by almost everyone she knew and most of the people who loved her at some point, and this is central to her arc.  How many people have died to further her "right" to the throne? As a character, she was made easy to like because she's pretty and personable and has suffered, and her violence was thus easier to defend because of course there were always extenuating circumstances. 

The whole subtext of the show has been leading to this. I don't think it would have made any sense had she not snapped, had *everything* not snapped.

Technical aside, the cinematography was beyond stunning.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian>>The Dothraki I can understand doing it. But the soldiers from the North, no.<<

"There is a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."  --Jorah Mormont.

I find it unreasonable that an army conquering a city could be swayed by reason or ethics.  Jon tried, and had to kill people while doing it...

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Another problem with her is that since she reached Westeros proper, she's been acting more entitled. Last week she was upset that everyone else was talking and connecting while ignoring her. What she didn't realize is that she has done exactly nothing to gain anyone's respect or trust there. You can't just walk around acting like you own the place and ruling through `divine right' and power, if you want to endear yourself to people.

I think her madness was rushed, but there have been subtle hints at it coming. After what she did this episode, she might as well commit suicide. No way she sits on the throne for long, if at all. She proved herself worse than Cersei.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I find it unreasonable that an army conquering a city could be swayed by reason or ethics
-------------------------------------------
A city would have no reason to cede to a siege if all inside would be put to the sword either way. The whole medieval idea of 'guilty in defence' hinges on mercy being given if you open your gates. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Lots of negative reviews and fan reactions around, but I was mostly Ok with it.

It was filmed beautifully IMHO, surprisingly by the same director that botched the battle of Winterfell.

Daenerys' rampage was totally in character for me, she already decided she was going to burn the city to the ground a long time ago no matter what her counselors said. More like ex counselors. The only ones she fully trusted were Missandei and Jorah and they're both dead. Varys is (more than justifiably) dead by her own hand and Tyrion is over. She gave Jon one more chance and he once again handled it with very little intelligence. She's alone. Let it burn.

Seeing the Unsullied, Dothraki and even the northeners butcher an army that had surrendered and innocent people was hard to watch, but not without logic. War is hell, there are no good guys, everyone loses. If your queen goes on a rampage you follow her. Not a lot of love for King's Landing and what it represents from everyone involved. Even Jon was reluctantly killing a-plenty.

Jamie and Cersei had an okay ending, in their own terms and with Cersei even showing some humanity. I prefer that than to have Arya kill her or whatever. I was never very invested in Clegane Bowl but I guess it was Ok too.

On the inconsistencies front Euron teleported once again to Jamie and met his stupid end for his stupid character (where's Yara by the way? Just chilling in the Iron Islands?). Last week Rhaegar was the most vulnerable creature on earth and the Iron Fleet were the most accurate dragon shooters ever, getting three hits out of three and one dragon down. This week Drogon is an unstoppable killing machine that deals with the same fleet and the crossbows in the city in less than a minute. Ok... it's just useless to complain now, one more episode to go!

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well...so much for my theory.  My crow sandwich is delicious....

And with that said I was left wondering how Drogon could decimate an entire navy and city laden with the weapons that easily took out his brother?  Suddenly nobody can load a scorpion quick enough.  Nobody can aim well enough.  Maybe the scorpion only works if a dragon doesnít know its being targeted?  Dany diving out of the sun was a clever tactic however.  Well played, Mother of Dragons.  Drogonís plot armor showed itís strength.  

Dany went Sith Lord on us.  
She is a true Targaryen.  And she currently rules a pile of ashes.  I wonder how this news plays in Winterfell?  There is no love lost between the north and Kings Landing, but thousands of innocent people are nothing more than charcoal.  Sansa has her work cut out for her.

I applauded Euronís apparent demise at a level I thought Iíd reserve for winning a modest lottery jackpot.  Worst character ever.

I thought they were going to have the audacity to kill the best character on the show with this episode.  I was relived to see Arya alive.  Looks like death rides a pale horse back to Winterfell.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was not on board with Mad Queen Dany, but I was OK with her heel turn in this episode. While it was a horrible, impulsive decision, I understood the logic behind it. The people of Westeros would never love her the way the North loves Jon Snow. The people of King's Landing did not stand up against Cersei the way that the people of Slavers' Bay stood up against their former masters. Her choices were heartless and cruel, but they weren't completely irrational.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

David Allen Perrin wrote:
Drogonís plot armor showed itís strength.

I saw that stuff as more about Euron's fleet losing the plot armor that protected them last week. (It's a shame Yara couldn't have gotten in on the action, though.) There's an argument to be made that King's Landing went down a little too easily, but OTOH the argument has been for awhile that Daenerys' forces could destroy the place in a heartbeat. It's just that nice queens try to avoid collateral damage.   

Anyway, hamfisted foreshadowing this season aside, Daenerys has generally seen people as being in one of two groups: a) faithful subjects and b) barbeque. So her "turn" this week was hardly unexpected. I just would have preferred a more direct and immediate inciting event than her apparent distaste for bells.

It wouldn't have to be much. It could be as dramatic as one last Scorpion being fired from the bell tower while the bells were ringing or as mild as a civilian throwing something at Grey Worm. Just... something to transition us from "focus the attack on the troops and armaments" to "screw it, we're burning it all".

As for the rest of the episode, I liked it. Lots of long awaited casualties this time and I was generally good with the way they went out.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version