Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: US- SPOILERS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Have any of you seen Jordan Peele's new film, Us?

I saw it in a crowded theater which was perfect. People laughed, squealed, gasped and overall had a helluva good time at the movies.

I'd like to get a conversation going on the meaning of the film. I saw it on Saturday and it kept coming up in my thinking all day Sunday.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thereís no way I could watch this without taking a 10mg Xanax before going in. 
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm a bit torn about the film. The scares and creep factor were effective. No complaints there. I think Peele sacrifices some plot logic for allegory. While I thought that worked in GET OUT, I don't think it was as effective here.

I guessed the ending 10 minutes into the film, and I was kind of confused that it was meant to be a "twist". I was expecting it to be revealed much earlier.

The message of the movie is not as clear as GET OUT, but there are a lot of layers there, so it'd be interesting to discuss.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was initially disappointed in the "twist" but the more it worked on me over the day I realized that the twist actually helps explain a lot, especially in the ways that the main character especially behaves.
I thought that this article was compelling

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was entertained. It's fun, funny, and haunting imho. 

One word of advice, if you plan on seeing the film, I recommend leaving your logic hammer at home!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, I wasn't especially enamored with it.  The home invasion aspects were pretty standard and not suspenseful and as more and more was revealed, I found it less and less compelling. 

The final twist was really the only one that had to go with but it didn't make an inordinate amount of sense or add much darkness as a reveal.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2019 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I liked the parallels: the well-off, but not rich, black family who still doesn't have quite the same stuff as their peers despite presumably having the same kinds of jobs-- their vacation home was a little shabbier, their boat was a lot cheaper...  and the tunnel dwellers who were forced to live a "shadow life" rising up to take their fair share.

I wish they hadn't explained so much of the origins of the tethered, because it just doesn't work.  Even pairing up identical subjects at the beginning, the following generations aren't going to identical.  I wish they had left the possibility of some supernatural explanation rather than an abandoned government conspiracy.

And the twist ending bugged me because I didn't see that reflected in the emotional dynamic of the rest of the movie.  The protagonist doesn't show any signs (that I saw) that she was guilty, had been caught, or was paying a price for something she herself had done to someone else.  And why the heck, later in her life, would she have agreed to getting a vacation house anywhere near that beach (unless it was inherited, I suppose...).

And really, why couldn't the other girl simply walk out of the underground just like her double did?

A lot of good ideas in this movie, a lot of good moments, but it really doesn't hold up for me.

Edited by Craig Bogart on 28 March 2019 at 7:10am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2019 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, the visuals were very nice, the characters seemed real and the whole situation they were put in was tense and twisty. I thought Jordan Peele did a great job once again commenting on race and class in his own way and his use of symbolism and foreshadowing was well done. I look forward to whatever his next project is.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2019 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
The protagonist doesn't show any signs (that I saw) that she was guilty, had been caught, or was paying a price for something she herself had done to someone else.

Pretty sure that was the point. Like the central theme of the movie.

QUOTE:
And why the heck, later in her life, would she have agreed to getting a vacation house anywhere near that beach (unless it was inherited, I suppose...).

It was inherited. There was mention of it belonging to her grandmother or her kidsí grandmother, I donít recall which.

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2019 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There were some logic issues, but I really enjoyed the film.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2019 at 1:56am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yep, I also guessed the twist within the first 10 mns of
the movie.
But enjoyed it none the less.

But the logic in some characters actions... oh my..

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2019 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

" I didn't see that reflected in the emotional dynamic of the rest of the movie.  The protagonist doesn't show any signs (that I saw) that she was guilty, had been caught, or was paying a price for something she herself had done to someone else. "

Hmm... I read this all differently upon reflection.

Her upset about being followed is amplified BECAUSE she knows what she did I think. She is also scared but much less surprised than the rest of the family when she sees her doppleganger and doppleganger family. 
It also explains why she is so vehement about killing their dupes I think. She KNOWs that they're on a revenge path.

I don't mind a little "mysteriousness" or even some wonky logic about the experiment, I can accept a little of that in an allegorical sci-fi piece.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2019 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I still want to see this just so I can have an opinion on it.

I loved GET OUT. Maybe not everything Peele does will turn out well. But I appreciate his ambition.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2019 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Craig: And why the heck, later in her life, would she have agreed to getting a vacation house anywhere near that beach (unless it was inherited, I suppose...).

ó

It was. Thatís why Red knew where the hidden key was ó and why when she first walked into the living room, she took a long look at the painting on the wall. 

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2019 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Saw tonight. Creepy, well made, but a big Twilight Zone episode and a bit overrated. Goes a long way with a lot of ambitious ideas, but sort of phones it in at the end with the Bond villain explaining everything to wrap things up. Still, better than the usual horror drivel.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2019 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I liked the teenage daughter. Her creepy face was awesome. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version