Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Batman Comics in the 60’s got a boost in Sales Due To TV Show Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's generally believed that the Batman Comics of the 60's & Comic books in general got a boost in sales due to the tv series which ran during the mid sixties.

My question to the forum : Marvel has had hit movies for over ten years why have the comic books not seen a bump in sales?  
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Batman was a fluke.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Interestingly there is one comic book movie in the last ten years that boosted sales of the comic significantly: Watchmen. 

Even more interesting is the fact that the Watchmen movie was not even a huge hit. It grossed 185 mil. Infinity War last year grossed 2 billion dollars. 

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Because comics are hard to find and impenetrable to new readers?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In the past twenty or so years, most spikes in sales (and typically it's mostly in bask issue sales) due to a movie or a TV show springs from speculation. It's kind of crazy how that works, too. For instance....

A movie is announced featuring some Marvel character who has not previously appeared in a film.

Speculators jump on this by seeking out the earliest appearances and key issues featuring that character, expecting the values to rise on those comics.

They do rise for the short term, mostly because of the speculators themselves all pouncing on the back issues during the same relative timeframe. This causes a situation where these speculators are driving the prices up themselves in a mad race to gather those issues.

The prices top out, the movie is released, and more often than not, within the year after the movie's release the prices subside.

In some instances, interest in the character is higher than it was prior to a film release, but any legitimate and long-term interest in the character in question is typically minimal.

And, yeah, it doesn't help that those comparatively few people out there whose interest in the characters was truly piqued due to a film of TV show, will usually find the actual source material to be nowhere near what they saw and enjoyed on the screen.

New fans are brought into comics because of the occasional movie or TV show. In fact, I just had someone ask me this week about acquiring some comics featuring characters that have been featured in recent films. He and his son want to read up on the comics that inspired the film versions. So, it does happen, and every little bit is welcomed, but it's generally not a substantial increase in selling the comics.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 20 March 2019 at 7:57pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I imagine that if someone new is interested in reading comics featuring a character from movies or TV, they'll probably start with a trade. They can buy it online, they can get the first appearance or the most famous storylines or in fact the storyline in which the film is based (for instance, Dark Phoenix)... I can't see why anyone would start with a monthly comic book today.

Edited by Mario Ribeiro on 20 March 2019 at 8:20pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Because comics cost too much for their value these days?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, someone who enjoyed the Batman TV show and picked up a Batman comic found the same characters presented basically the same way.  For all its faults, the Batman TV show was a pretty faithful adaptation of the Batman comics at the time.

For a big chunk of the MCU's lifespan, Steve Rogers wasn't Captain America (or was a Hydra sleeper agent), Thor wasn't Thor, Tony Stark wasn't Iron Man.  Bruce Banner wasn't a recognizable Hulk.  The Avengers didn't star those characters.  On top of that, you have to go way out of your way to find comics.  So if you did go out of your way and find the comics, you wouldn't see anything recognizable from the movies you enjoyed.

This is double true of the DC movies, which continue to resemble the comics not at all.  Exhibit A:  Aquaman.

Edited by Steve De Young on 20 March 2019 at 8:43pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I still have to imagine that the TV show is helping sales of THE WALKING DEAD.  It's a B&W comic based on zombies approaching its 200th issue selling about 50,000 copies per month, ranked about 30 which beats many household names, and is by far the highest-selling independent.  B&W normally doesn't sell, zombie comics normally don't sell, and independents don't sell that much.  I don't know how many trades it sells, but I do note that bookstores usually give it an entire shelf and always keep all (or most) of the volumes in stock.

I think it comes down to expectations.  Fans of the WATCHMEN movie or the WALKING DEAD show who want more or who want to check out the "real" version of the story, will hunt down the books.  Right now, the "real" version of the Marvel heroes is what we see on the big screen.  Fans of those might go the bookstore and explore some trades of stories 20 or 50 years old, but there's not much in the comic shops for them.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

…will hunt down the books…

••

"Hey! I liked that movie! Where can I buy the comic book?"

"Closest comic shop."

"Where's that?"

"On the other side of town, 20 miles away."

"Oh, well, I didn't like it THAT much!"

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

In 1966 the Batman show was big with kids (for a while, it was very much a fad), and kids saw Batman comics in their local shop, and those comics were very much like the show. Nothing is that simple these days.

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Walmart has been selling the Marvel Digests and DC 100 page books lately.  The Digests sell out as they are placed at the registers for impulse buys.  The DC books languish on the shelves as Walmart has not figured out good placement.  They don't put them in the magazine section or near the register, but rather on the aisle where Pokemon and other collectible cards are kept.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version