Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Fan fiction and What If stories are now the norm. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What I see in Hulkverines is a gimmick. And I can't recall very many of those doing at all well. Gimmicks in publishing, gimmicking creators, or gimmick characters - none seem popular enough to sponsor a boost in sales that they were designed for.

This is not an idea of creating a new character from two existing ones; it seems more to be the idea of amalgamating two of the most popular characters to gimmick up a new character who will also be popular (i.e., sales heavy.)

It seems that it is having a current turn at Marvel, e.g., Dr. Doom/Iron Man, Falcon/Captain America, Jane Foster/Thor, and probably others. Are they engendering consistently good sales? Are they avoiding the gimmick trap?

Hey, if the kids buy it, and it's suitable for comic books, great. But one flash in the pan is not enough to keep the fires burning. Gimmicks are exactly those flashes; and Marvel needs concepts and stories that will draw and keep readers.

This seems to be contrary to the idea that just because a thing can be done doesn't mean it should be done. Of course, if it sells.... then it was a great idea, and we can probably expect to see Captain Spider anytime now.
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As far as what they sold through Diamond not being the total number, I think whatever difference there is is offset by those numbers being what comic shops bought, not what customers actually bought.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nothing is sacred nowadays in comics.  I just saw an announcement for an upcoming APOCALYPSE (the X-MEN villain) as the new CAPTAIN AMERICA over at Marvel... with an evil little "BUCKY" to boot!

The inmates are truly in control of the asylum.

Marc

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Visually, characters such as the Super-Skrull, Adaptoid, and Mimic depend upon exactly the same Composite-Superman style melding of existing characters and concepts as Hulkverine. But you only want examples who've headlined in their own books... Like Spider-Gwen and Gwenpool or Victor Von Doom's turn as Iron Man, all of which have done well enough apparently that Marvel thinks it could do more with the idea.

Taking existing character aesthetics and melding them to new ones (the much-dithered-over concept of "de-uniquing" as it is fretted over here) has existed since the beginning of comic books. Marvel took less than 20 years after FF #1 to begin doing so in earnest, (Spider-Woman #1, 1978, a mere 16 years after Amazing Fantasy #15) less time than DC did to start doing the same with Superman (Superboy #1, 1949, 21 years after Superman's debut,) and that's not counting their forays into parallel and Counter Earths with multiple Reeds, Bens, and Dooms.

Brian, with the exception of the early issues of Spider-Gwen (who was from an alternate Earth) those series weren't that successful.

Just because superhero comics have been "de-uniquing" characters since the beginning of the genre, still doesn't make it a good idea. As for the creation of Spider-Woman, Marvel only created her to secure the copyright and trademark on the name "Spider-Woman" and prevent Filmation studios from using and owning the name "Spider-Woman" (which was the name they were originally going to give their superhero character Web Woman). Also, alternate Earth/timeline versions of characters are not the same thing that we are talking about here.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

“Sell-thru” became a matter of concern several decades ago. Initial numbers told us what the shops had bought, and it was those numbers the publishers trumpeted when they declared a book had “sold out”.

Of course it had. Only as many had been printed as had been ordered.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

To emphasize, it sold 38,477 copies through Diamond. Nobody outside of Marvel knows what the actual total sales are. Creators have been complaining for years that fan-calculated sales charts paint an incomplete and misleading picture, creating ignorant "buzz" that sabotages momentum.

Extrapolating from the 2011 circulation statements, the last year Marvel still published them in their books (I think), total circulation can be from forty to more than fifty percent higher than the Diamond totals. Still low compared to the epic returnable newsstand print runs of our comparative youth, but not quite the holocaust implied by the direct sales numbers alone.

David, I am quite aware that those sales figures aren't completely accurate and that they don't include sales through other venues. I should also point out that those sales on the Diamond chart are sales to comic book shops and not to actual in store customers. And while the actual sales to comic shops could be hire then those estimates, they could also be much less.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As long as "Hulkverine" (talk about a concept that must've been a deliberate joke at inception) doesn't appear in any other Marvel titles, I don't care if it exists or not. 

I'm more annoyed at the infinite number of WAR OF THE REALMS crossovers and related mini-series. Marvel just refuses to stop with this. Every damn year. And there's already some X-Men-related "almost every character except Cyclops and Wolverine has been thrown into an alternate universe and here's their three-issue mini-series" gimmick going on.

Who the hell can afford to buy all these comics? JB is right, and has been for years: taking comics off of newsstands was an awful idea. The direct market just encourages this sort of thing. 

At least as of late DC's "event" series are mostly self-contained, with very few "tie-in" issues from "regular" series (see: HEROES IN CRISIS, which is awful), and sometimes those "event" series are even fun to read (see: METAL).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nothing is sacred nowadays in comics.  I just saw an announcement for an upcoming APOCALYPSE (the X-MEN villain) as the new CAPTAIN AMERICA over at Marvel... with an evil little "BUCKY" to boot!

The inmates are truly in control of the asylum.

Marc
++++++++

This is what I’ve been saying for quite some time, now, in regards to both Marvel and any number of franchises which I’ve loved for decades.

Puppeteered corpses are what we’re being presented with, not organic stories about the characters we love. Gimmicks and crossovers and stunts galore. Recons and reboots and reimaginings instead of stories being told about the characters as we’ve known them, in ways consistent with their established personalities and the established lore.

It’s over. All that’s left is for the numbers to dwindle, and the books to cease publication. The characters will live on in other media, at least for a while, but, as the comic versions become more and more unrecognizable, and are used more and more as marketing tools instead of characters, then the fire will slowly burn out.

I was killing time, the other day, and wandered into a comic shop for the first time in a long time. Leafed through a current Spider-Man story for a minute. The first few pages featured (a living) Kraven the Hunter in a direct homage/reference/rip-off to the opening pages of DeMatteis and Zeck’s “Fearful Symmetry”, and the rest of the issue featured “meh” art, simplistic dialogue, and characters I didn’t recognize as on-model.

The people in charge of the asylum seem to not understand professionalism, good writing, or marketing. It really is just fan-fiction, what-if stories, and constant rehashes/references/reimagining/trashings of older, better work by people who were actually creative. 

Back in the day, you might have seen “Hulkverine” as a one-off joke, or a single-issue lark. Now, it’s like kids mashing action figures to together to desperately try and maintain interest. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This is on the cover to #1 of Hulkverines.  Doesn't that pretty much mean that they know that it's terrible?
+++++++++

Hanging a lampshade on it in an attempt to be cute ain’t gonna convince people.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Not to give Marvel anymore bad ideas, but as I was thinking about the whole nonsense of making a Wolverine-Hulk hybrid, I suddenly remembered that as a child, when I was 12-years-old, I had a somewhat similar concept, but instead of the Hulk, I combined Wolverine with Colossus. Heh.

Hey, even as a kid I realized at best this sort of thing should be a "What If" story, and not in actual continuity.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mario Ribeiro wrote:
...Let the kids have him. Hope they have fun....

If Hulkverine really brought in a notable amount of young readers, I'd be okay with it. Most of the buyers these days are adults, and I doubt Hulkverine will change that, if that was even the intent behind his creation (which I doubt).

It really seems to me to be a case of fanfic becoming "real", as the thread suggests, rather than the editors or writers actively pursuing a younger audience. It's more about a gimmick than solid storytelling aimed to appeal to a wider audience. I could be wrong, but I suspect I'm not.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 22 March 2019 at 3:46pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Greg Kirkman wrote:
... It really is just fan-fiction, what-if stories, and constant rehashes/references/reimagining/trashings of older, better work by people who were actually creative...

Even more than just flat-out stupid ideas used as gimmicks to temporarily promote sales, I despise the practice of taking older stories and doing the whole "everything you thought you knew was wrong" storylines. I may not be a fan of new stories that take the characters in what I see as a wrongheaded direction, but I loathe the current writers mucking with the past for what seems to be an all-too-frequent thing anymore. Let the past stories be.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version