Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, I thought that, too.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

But wait, there's more!

I saw a description of this elsewhere recently (I don't have the link but I made note of the contents).  The other listing also mentioned another volume that isn't in the Amazon description.

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: BEHIND THE CRISIS
This new title collects THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #1-2, pre-Crisis appearances of the Monitor, behind-the-scenes material and more

It's a shame, though, that this set only includes the existing CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS volumes.  There were three more JLA/JSA crossovers that could make up a new Volume 7.  The last crossover is in this set anyway since it's a CRISIS crossover but it would've been nice to have all the pre-CRISIS JLA/JSA crossovers included here.  There are also two CRISIS on MULTIPLE EARTHS THE TEAM-UPS volumes that aren't included.  These contained the smaller groupings of Earth 1/Earth 2 characters like the classic "Flash of Two Worlds" story. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Anything that professes to be a “history of CRISIS” but doesn’t include “The Flash of Two Worlds”.... hard fail, I’d say!
Back to Top profile | search

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ok, looking at it again, there are actually several volumes not mentioned in the Amazon listing:

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: INFINITY, INC. HC
This new title collects INFINITY, INC. #18-25, INFINITY, INC. ANNUAL #1 and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #244-245

• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: SUPERMAN HC
This new title collects DC COMICS PRESENTS #78, 86-88 and 94-95, SUPERMAN #413-415 and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA ANNUAL #3

• CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: BEHIND THE CRISIS
This new title collects THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #1-2, pre-Crisis appearances of the Monitor, behind-the-scenes material and more

It's included in the DC solicitations here:

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Anything that professes to be a “history of CRISIS” but doesn’t include “The Flash of Two Worlds”.... hard fail, I’d say!

Indeed!  This is several months away so there is still a chance that more stuff could get added.  The contents of Marvel's second FANTASTIC FOUR BY JOHN BYRNE OMNIBUS changed between original solicitation and release to include "The Last Galactus Story" and the early Byrne-drawn (but not written)  FF issues that finished off a long storyline.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If there's a boxed set that people should not buy, this would be it, lovely George Perez pencils aside. (Nice Jerry Ordway inks, too.)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Of course, considering all the damn strangeness that COIE caused, maybe instead of a boxed set, it should Moebius set... if you read it in the right order, and in the right attitude, then at the end of it... everything is back to 1984 status! :D

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ideally, if CRISIS "had" to be done, it should have been done, and then never referred to again.

Many, myself included, don't think it should have been done at all, of course.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I just wish it had been done differently. Merge Earths 1 and 2 together and leave everything else alone.

(And don't bring the Charlton characters into the story when, by definition, they'd never been in a DC comic before!)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

DC started the so-called “Silver Age” with only the slightest nod—Barry Allen reading an old FLASH comic—to what had gone before. That was really all that was needed, and, since they were targeting new readers even that might have been too much.

Especially since it wasn’t long before Barry was visiting Earth 2, and the genii was out of the bottle. The target audience was shifting to older, long time readers.

Which didn’t bother me, since I loved “The Flash of Two Worlds” (my introduction to the concept of parallel universes), and by the time they were seriously committed to digging their own grave, I’d shifted to Marvel.

When snobby fanboys started saying the DC Universe had become “too confusing” for New Readers, and needed to be “cleaned up,” those same fanboys had mostly taken over. The Birth of the Silver Age solution was not considered. “What?? Just stop talking about it??”

Couldn’t be done. So keep digging. But we’re going to switch from shovels to jackhammers!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version