Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Social Media Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In my encounters with John Byrne, my sense is that he does not do social media. I think this page and forum is the rare exception. I am jealous that he has managed to stay off Twitter and the likes and was never into such self promotion. No offense, but most of us don't care what John thought of a movie he didn't write or get his political views. We just love his art. I also think it's a smart to avoid controversy because everyone has an opinion. I was just hoping to get clarification on the subject. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

AVOID controversy?!?

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Let me clarify... when one posts anything, people interpret it however they want. My meaning was - you seem to be smart to limit what you post to conversations you can monitor and respond to directly... such as this.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Uhm.....

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Internet was a more pleasant place before social media. Even with YouTube comments and such. Twitter, in particular, is a cesspool and should be outlawed.

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well.. we can't outlaw free speech but surely people make opinions based on things that may have no merit. All I am saying is that I understand why John Byrne chooses to guard his messages and to reply to the things he chooses to respond to. Too many times at cons I hear people say things about other artists, writers and editors and I would have more respect for them if they said - "My experience was this..." Not so and so is a this or that based on something they may have read or heard somewhere.

I don't much like Twitter and Facebook should be used to find people you lost touch with or get a commision or whatever. I dislike all the negativity that seems to be swirling around in the so-called information age. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Having an app/Internet site "dissolved" doesn't harm anyone's free speech. It's not like it always existed anyway. It's not a newspaper or a magazine or a news program or a political party or what have you. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The have yet to join Facebook or Twitter or any of that stuff. I really have no real desire to. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

…people make opinions based on things that may have no merit.

••

One of the strangest concepts I encountered when I first came online was "It's my opinion--and opinions can't be wrong!"

Uhm....no. Opinions that are not wrong are called "facts".

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Having an app/Internet site "dissolved" doesn't harm anyone's free speech
------------------------------------------------
You said you wanted Twitter outlawed. Presumably it's not the technology or the corporate structure that irks you. You want it outlawed because you don't like what the people say on Twitter. You consider what they are saying to be a cesspool.They therefore should be silenced because you liken them to a hole filled with shit. Sure sounds like you want to constrain their ability to speak freely.

As for 'it's not like it always existed anyway'. Television news has not always existed either. Would it be OK to outlaw that? Or only if you, or some other judging body, dislikes like the content?

Twitter is a messy and frequently judgemental and nasty place. It should be regulated to control certain behaviours that shouldn't be protected by free speech; things like bullying, for example. Beyond the issue of trying to constrain or quash free speech, 'Outlawing' Twitter would be futile anyway, unless you were to go so far as to try and outlaw all social media and cripple the internet.

Edited by Peter Martin on 18 March 2019 at 8:23am

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Peter,

Gimme a break.

If Twitter goes out of business will you cry "no, no, this constrains our freedom of speech"?

People get banned from Twitter. It's a private corporation. It can do that. Does that hurt their freedom of speech?

You make me sound a like a totalitarian. Come the f*ck on, man... you've got your freedom of speech right here, unless JB bans you for some reason. And even that doesn't hurt your freedom of speech -- you can go on Medium and tell a Bad Byrne Story. 

And "cripple the Internet"? How is that even possible? The Internet existed before social media -- I'm sure it could exist without it.

I think Twitter, like much social media, is poisonous -- it encourages people to be awful towards each other. And it's a great way to spread disinformation. Exhibit A: virtually anything Trump tweets. It's...how to say this...bad for America. 

Trump's head would explode if Twitter died. Reason enough to treat it like asbestos and kick it to the curb.

Scott Good
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm not much into social media period. I did find out my dad died on facebook 10 years ago...that was nice. But I really appreciate being able to (or at least witness) observe JB's thoughts. Most of his opinions I strangely agree with. I really appreciate when he post pictures of his studio, ect. It blows me away, how he's still a fan. I guess that's all of us on this site. You can say what you want, on twitter, facebook, snapchat, or whatever, but comics are by far the most expressive form of art...period.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version