Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: JB, what do you think of Neal Adams coming back to Xmen? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 1  

JB, what do you think of Neal Adams coming back to Xmen?
(For a short 8-pager, but still..)
I belive that you are kinda fond of Neal as an artist, and you both revitalized the title on two different occations, which is kinda telling.
 (Was that a reason for you to do X-men by the way, or did it just happen?)

Think it will be any good?

( While on the subject, I hope Neal ain't writing is... Wolverine quote:
"One of us is walking out of here DEAD".
Uhmm, no, I dont think so)

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 2  

Looking forward to it. Been a while since I could say
that about anything coming from M*****.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 3  

This is great news!  I recently returned to UNCANNY X-MEN because of Alan Davis, and it would be great if Marvel could get Neal Adams to come on board as the regular artist on the other main X-MEN title.  Then they'd have great artists on both books.  At the very least it would be nice to see Adams do the non-Davis issues of UNCANNY... That way I wouldn't have these annoying gaps in the storyline...

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 4  

Wallace Sellars wrote:
This is great news!  I recently returned to UNCANNY X-MEN because of Alan Davis.

Me too. Really excited that Claremont and Davis are bringing the real (I hope)Captain Britain back in an upcoming issue. Now if only Marvel would cancel all those other X-Traneous X-Titles and returned to just one or two titles a month. (I also read Astonishing X-Men)

Sadly I think that Neal Adams pencilling one of them is too much to hope for though.

Back to Top profile | search

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Any chance of a link to find out more about the new Adams X-Men?

Be interested to know which Captain Britain is the 'real' Captain Britain, since I think it would have been established after I finished reading about the character!  I have heard good things about the Alan Davis version (was it scripted by Claremont?  I know it was in Excalibur, but in the CB comic itself I mean)  The version I remember went through a few different incarnations from a Spider-Man clone, to a participant in a Tolkienesque fantasy, but I lost track then...read one or two Excalibur issues but found the humour wearing, despite the undeniable beauty of the artwork

Ruth Knoll
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 6  

Ian Evans wrote:

Any chance of a link to find out more about the new Adams X-Men?

Be interested to know which Captain Britain is the 'real' Captain Britain, since I think it would have been established after I finished reading about the character!  I have heard good things about the Alan Davis version (was it scripted by Claremont?  I know it was in Excalibur, but in the CB comic itself I mean)  The version I remember went through a few different incarnations from a Spider-Man clone, to a participant in a Tolkienesque fantasy, but I lost track then...read one or two Excalibur issues but found the humour wearing, despite the undeniable beauty of the artwork

The Alan Davis stories were first scripted by Dave thorpe. After the two of them had a falling-out over the direction of the strip Thorpe was replaced by Alan Moore, who together wth Davis crafted the "classic" Cap stories with James Jaspers and the Fury. After Moore left, Cap got his second shot at a series 8the previous stories having appeared in different anthology titles), written by newcomer Jamie Delano and drawn by Alan Davis who apparently had a lot to do with the plotting. A few years after the series was over, the character became part of Excalibur.

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

(With apologies for helping drift this thread away from the wonderful Neal Adams)

I recommend any of Alan Davis' Captain Britain/Excalibur work. The stuff with Alan Moore (Don't be put off if like me your not usually a fan of his) and Davis' 2nd run on Excalibur (where Davis was also the writer) especially.

Here's a preview of the cover (I think) of the upcoming Uncanny X-Men # 462...

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

What is the reason behind Neal Adams returning to the X-Men?  Is it some kind of anniversary issue?

I'm not sure how to feel about it.  When he put out his version of the Batman, I wasn't that impressed.  I would probably prefer to see him do Green Lantern/Green Arrow instead.  That's when I really blew me away.

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

I would probably prefer to see him do Green Lantern/Green Arrow instead.  That's when I really blew me away.

That's when he blew us all away! Prior to his stint on GL/GA, Neal had been mostly toeing the line, working within the "house style" of DC. There were moments when we saw what was to come -- DEADMAN especially -- but it was with GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW that the stops really came out. I can still remember -- still practically feel the HOLY SH*T!! reaction I had when I saw the splash page of his first issue.

(Denny O'Neil has often told the tale of how he, too, was surprised when he saw the art. He had no idea who would be drawing the story when he wrote it -- he'd sort of assumed it would be Gil Kane -- and was awestruck by the visualization of his story by Neal.)

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

I picked up the Special Edition reprints of that GL/GA run off eBay a while back and to my shame have still not read most of them. (In my defence I am currently working my way through the first 5 volumes of Titan Books new Dan Dare collections and that material predates GL/GA by 25 years.)

Reminds me, I must aquire the Special Edition reprints DC put out of Neals Batman work. (A lot cheaper than the originals or the new hardback collections.)

James Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

I might check this out. Since JB mentioned he was influenced by Adams ,I picked up X-Men visionaries and enjoyed it so much. Also G L and GA  collection which has issues 76-82. Damn good read.I'll be after his Avengers run soon, via essentials of course.

Edited by James Stewart on 24 April 2005 at 2:24pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

JB:

(Denny O'Neil has often told the tale of how he, too, was surprised when he saw the art. He had no idea who would be drawing the story when he wrote it -- he'd sort of assumed it would be Gil Kane -- and was awestruck by the visualization of his story by Neal.)

I first saw that story in a reprint when I was just a bit too young to understand it.  That first splash page, however, blew me away.  I flipped through the pages, barely reading it, just admiring the pretty pictures.

When I was a couple years older I re-read it, getting it this time.  As soon as I could, I went out and bought the GL/GA trades.  Great stories, great art, you name it.

I will say that it might have been cool to see Gil Kane drawing that story.  He's always been a favorite of mine.  I can just picture Ollie preaching to Hal in the foreground while we see a close-up on Ollie's face in the background, my favorite Kane-ism.

Edited by Eric Kleefeld on 24 April 2005 at 2:32pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version