Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Disney Takeover of Fox Begins Next Week Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The road perpendicular to Pico heading south off the lot is Motor Avenue.
Motor Avenue, from what a studio old-timer once told me, was the thoroughfare established as a direct route between Fox Studios and the old MGM studios (what is now SONY).  Why was it called Motor?  Because it was used primarily in the early days of movies as the passage way for lights, backdrops and other heavy equipment (including cameras!) to be shuttled back and forth via heavy truck and automobile between those two fledgling studios as needed for a particular production.  Apparently there was a lot more cooperation back then!  It's still easily the most efficient route to Century City (Fox) from Culver City (Sony). 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Peter, thanks for the info. Reading your post, I now recall I read about that deal in the past but I forgot then details of it.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I wonder if this has any effect on shows like THE ORVILLE.

(edit: muh english)

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 14 March 2019 at 1:28pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We can imagine Disney would be less interested in “loss leaders”.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

At the least, it would mean the Orville switching to ABC and no more 'presented with limited commercials'. As JB says, I doubt Disney is interested in having loss leaders on ABC. However, Disney is very interested in building Disney+, its streaming equivalent to Netflix, and it probably would be happier to have a loss leader there while attracting subscribers to the new venture.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks for that history, Rick - I use Motor Avenue all the time.  It’s a great route.  Except when it is jammed with traffic, as it’s a two lane road with a web of dead-end side streets between Culver City and Pico - if you are in a jam, you are pretty much stuck with no options.

But when you can fly up Motor, it’s a dream!  

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Great picture! In the 1990's I lived a few blocks off Pico, a few miles from the Fox lot. I be curious to see what happens to the lot and the Fox Studio gate on Pico. 

I knew that Century City was made up of Fox's original backlot, interesting to see what it looked like in yesteryear. Thanks for sharing!

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

At the least, it would mean the Orville switching to ABC and no more 'presented with limited commercials'. .....However, Disney is very interested in building Disney+, its streaming equivalent to Netflix, and it probably would be happier to have a loss leader there while attracting subscribers to the new venture.

Disney owns a staggering amount of IP.  If they didn't produce a single new show it's still going to dwarf Netflix. Netflix for the most part doesn't own what they stream. Two years after next season of Jessica Jones the Marvel shows all go back to Disney. 

Then factor in after the merger Disney owns 60% of HULU it will be interesting to see how HULU shakes out of this as well does Disney want 2 streaming services or do the sell off their part and take their content w them? 

I cant see Orville landing either on ABC or the Disney new service here this Star Trek-ish show right next to their new Star Wars and Marvel shows. 

Orville is doing CW type numbers slightly above Supernatural this season that and I would imagine the costs are higher than say a drama Fox ( television) also has  WWE this fall (they paid a fortune for) so that's two hours of programming gone. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2019 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I don't want 5000 people to lose their jobs. Even if it means we might eventually see a good Fantastic Four movie in a few years.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Los Angeles Times:  "The Fox lot is one asset Rupert Murdoch wouldn’t sell to Disney — with good reason":

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John Harrison wrote:
it will be interesting to see how HULU shakes out of this as well does Disney want 2 streaming services or do the sell off their part and take their content w them?

Hulu still plays a big factor in what Disney produced (past tense) and produces (present tense).  It will more than likely be the home of the more adult content Disney produced under the Touchstone banner as well as series from stations it now owns like FX and FXX as well as the series it will own that aired on Netflix.  Disney+ will be home to a treasure trove of family fare the studio has produced for nearly a hundred years, a much broader audience.  They benefit from a 60% stake in Hulu, something negotiated and not just thrown into the mix with 20th Century.  

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Like a lot of fans, I'm very much intrigued to see what Marvel Studios is able to do with the X-Men and Fantastic Four, going forward.  You just know they're not going to be extremely faithful to the original material, but anything has got to be better than the last 19 years of Fox films... right?

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version