Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Disney+ and WHAT IF?!? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2019 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

More Marvel paired with Disney animation is okay by me!

I'm pretty sure that Disney won't be handling the animation on this series. Marvel Animation will most likely be handling the animation on this series, not Disney.
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 2  

@Eric and JB:

Apologies, and rephrased:

What are your views of the pros and cons of the What If? concept?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 3  

Shooter once asked “If these ‘imaginary stories’ are so good, why weren’t they told before?” Ironically, he the went on to do perhaps the best WHAT IF?, the Iron Avengers in #3.

Shooter’s question was silly, of couse. There’s always a good reason to explore alternate versions of a tale—provided those alternates are well thought out and not, say, “What if Sgt Fury fought WW2 in outer space?” (Two issues it took for the book to skid off the rails!)

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 4  

Adam Schulman wrote:
What I hated was Marvel's decision later on to make every WHAT IF story part of the Marvel Multiverse. And to give every universe a number.

Marvel is supposed to be different than DC!

The numbering came later, but the "multiverse" notion was there from the beginning. Oddly enough, the point of doing it that way was to be different from DC. DC had "imaginary stories;" Marvel had "alternate realities."

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

@JB:

To my embarrassment, I didn't know Jim Shooter wrote #3 - for some reason, I thought it was Roy Thomas!

There were some fine stories in What If - too many to name them all, but, in the first series, I particularly enjoyed the story of Gwen Stacy surviving, your take on the powerless Fantastic Four, and Mordo as the disciple of the Ancient One. The second series had some decent stories too - what if the alien costume had possessed Spider-Man, the Punisher hunting corrupt cops, and the Fantastic Four all gaining the same power.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'll admit it: My favorite WHAT IF? story was actually a one-page WHAT THE?!

"What If Dr. Strange was an Ordinary Magician?"

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2019 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

My favorite from #34, the humor issue, was "What If Marvel Comics teamed with the National Endowment for the Arts to create 'Spidey Intellectual Stories'?" Spider-Man vs. the Mad Thinker arguing the tenets of the Thinker's latest plan to rule the world through fear. "Fear? But what of Love?" argues Spidey. "Surely you must agree with Spinoza that 'Man is a social animal..." and on and on. So much fun to imagine a Marvel Universe in which points are debated until the villain simply admits defeat. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

DC had "imaginary stories;" Marvel had "alternate realities."

Not after "Flash of Two Worlds." Earth-Two, Earth-Three, Earth-S, Earth-X, Earth-Prime, etc.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

Both companies had a number of parallel Earths, e.g. Marvel's Earth-A, Earth-S, Earth-X, et al. 

I believe Dave was compared Marvel's "alternate realities" with DC's "imaginary stories" as the means by which the two companies were able to tell stories that contradicted established lore and were therefore "impossible" otherwise. 

Marvel's "What If's" fit comfortably within its pantheon of parallel Earths, whereas DC's "imaginary stories" are something very much different than what their parallel worlds are. DC mainly used its parallel worlds to house its newly acquired properties from other companies (thus conveniently explaining why we hadn't seen them up 'til now) or for very specific story purposes, such as to introduce an evil counterpart to the JLA. These worlds did not depend on "divergence points" or feature the known characters in new, unfamiliar circumstances. Usually they housed different characters entirely.

The introduction of parallel Earths didn't slow or stop the flow of imaginary stories. If anything, it increased them, since imaginary tales were a Weisinger editorial office concept and parallel worlds were more of a Schwartz office thing. Competition between the two for the readers' attention by telling "impossible" or "different" stories was constant, and each used their favored set-ups to tell those tales. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 19 March 2019 at 7:06pm

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2019 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

First storyline announced!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version