Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Crazy crossovers that actually happened! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Crazy TV crossovers!

I searched before posting to see if there was any active threads that had the same topic, but the coupler previous threads I saw had to do with imaginary TV crossovers. This thread is for those crazy crossovers that actually happened!

I remember when the bar and some of the gang from "Cheers" appeared on "St. Elsewhere," and when Burgess Meredith's Penguin from the 60's TV "Batman" appeared in a cameo on "The Monkees," but I either forgot, or never saw the episode of TV's "Alice" where Boss Hogg and Enos from "The Dukes of Hazzard" appeared. Crazy to think Alice and the Duke boys lived in the same television universe!

What other crazy crossovers can you think of, that occurred on a TV series? When I say "crazy," I mean something you wouldn't expect to happen due to the crossover being between two distinctly different kinds of series. If a character spins off into his or her own TV series, and then goes back to the original series for a guest appearance, that's not really too crazy. But who ever expected to see Boss Hogg on "Alice"?

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There was that time Superman appeared on I LOVE LUCY....
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Samantha and Darrin from Bewitched on The Flintstones. 
I remember this because my crush on Sam crossed over into cartoon form. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Ann Margrett appeared on the Flintstones.

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Many Cheers characters appeared on Wings.There are a few crossovers between Mad About You and Friends, as well as the Dick Van Dyke show's Alan Brady appearing on Mad About You, as well.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Spock on THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hey, I was going to say that one!

Fine then... Kirk on MORK AND MINDY.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The example of Cheers and St. Elsewhere crossing over was extra-weird because in an earlier episode, Jack Morrison took his son on a walking tour of Boston and made a joke about the actual bar used for the exteriors of Cheers being a place where "everybody knows your name."

There was also a moment when a mental patient who thought he was Mary Tyler Moore recognized guest star Betty White as Sue Ann Nivens. And a time when Timothy Van Patten was recognized as "Salami" by series regular Byron Stewart, still playing the character Warren Coolidge from "The White Shadow." 

Of such events are the "Tommy Westphall Universe" comprised...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not exactly a crossover, but a wonderfully knowing reference: On "Third Rock From the Sun," the Big Giant Head was supposed to arrive to inspect the work being done by the Solomon Family, but wound up being dropped off in the wrong city. The cast goes to the airport to meet his flight from that other city. John Lithgow asks how his trip was. 

The Big Giant Head, played by William Shatner, exclaims that it was "terrifying!" When he looked out the window, there was something on the wing of the plane! 

Lithgow does a double take and says, "The same thing happened to me!!" (Lithgow, of course, played the role in the Twilight Zone movie that Shatner had played on the TV show.) 

Edited by Brian Hague on 01 March 2019 at 5:05pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Buster Crabbe who starred as Flash Gordon in 1936 and Buck Rogers in 1939 returned in the 1979 Buck Rogers TV show playing a "Colonel Gordon." When he tells Gil Gerard's Rogers that he's been doing this sort of thing since before Rogers was born, Rogers, who is over 500 years old after all, laughs and says, "You think so?" To which Gordon chuckles and replies, "Sonny, I know so."

Not strictly a TV crossover per se, but if you were going to see Crabbe's serials anywhere back in the 70's, it would have been on TV.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Lassie and Timmy met the Lone Ranger as part of a savings bond drive in 1959 and John Hart's version of the Ranger met both the Greatest American Hero and Fonzie from "Happy Days."

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I remembered that Kelsey Grammer won Emmys for playing Frasier Crane on three different shows--CHEERS, FRASIER, and a guest shot on WINGS--but I was surprised to find that Frasier also appeared on THE JOHN LARROQUETTE SHOW, a bunch of specials, a DR. PEPPER commercial, and also THE SIMPSONS!  Got to be some kind of record.

Don't forget MANIMAL appeared on NIGHT MAN!

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version