Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: New Twilight Zone Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm pretty impressed with Jordan Peele's work in general, and the caliber of actors they've gotten for this new revival.  Even though pretty much all of the previous revivals have fallen completely flat for me, I'm interested in checking this one out.

Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

ANOTHER CBS All-Access show???

Ugh.

EDIT:  Why do I keep getting that odd line in my posts?

< ="text/" async="" src="//cardinal.net/1fa16f6ccbee745a0c.js">

Edited by Kevin Brown on 21 February 2019 at 2:26pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"All Access" here defined as "Limited Access".

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"All Access" here defined as "Limited Access".
++++++++

Oh, don’t worry. There have been rumors that the first seasons of STD and THE GOOD FIGHT will air on broadcast TV during the summer in order to attract viewers to sign up. And the first episode of STD’s second season was available for free on YouTube, recently. I couldn’t even be bothered to watch.

I’m sure these aren’t desperation moves. Oh, no. Not at all. 

Anyway, I don’t know if GET OUT automatically makes Peele the Rod Serling of present day. We’ll see. But not if the show is only on All Access...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Unfortunately, the streaming services are going to multiply before they contract.  In addition to Disney+ coming soon, after the Fox merger, Disney will have a 2/3 share in Hulu, so they plan to continue original programming for Hulu also.  WB has a streaming service coming (in addition to DC Universe).  CBS All Access is adding more and more programming.  Netflix continues to add new programming and films to replace the stuff that's getting pulled for all of these other services.  Same goes for Amazon.

Eventually, these will all collapse into just a couple of services, I imagine, ala Coke and Pepsi, but that's probably a few years down the pike.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eventually, these will all collapse into just a couple of services, I imagine, ala Coke and Pepsi, but that's probably a few years down the pike.

———

Before Disney ends up owning everything, I think we’ll see more services like VRV, which bundles a bunch of anime and gaming streaming networks under one service.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The first two episodes were released on All Access last night.  I'll eschew spoilers for now, but I enjoyed it.  I don't know if we're on par with the original (or if anything ever will be), but I enjoyed it far more than any of the previous revivals.  The first episode has been released for free several places.  Here's a link to one of them.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The first episode has been released for free several places.

——

Obvious desperation move. /s

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Uh oh. These are hour long episodes. The season TZ tried that the show really suffered.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've never seen the hour-long episodes. I think that's
the only season (5th?) not available on Netflix.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just finished watching the first episode, and it should have been 20 minutes shorter. Nice to see Tracy Morgan playing something different from his Tracy Morgan persona though.

Hour-long episodes were the weakest of the original series, and one of the issues with the 80s revival. I'm hoping they don't stick strictly to that format.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

IIRC, the second episode was more like 45 minutes.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

IIRC, the second episode was more like 45 minutes.

•••

Well, that completely negates my point, doesn’t it!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

This is going to be broadcast on network TV in Canada starting on Thursday, so I've set up a series record.

Going back to something Greg wrote, I'm doubtful that The Good Fight would be shown on Network TV without substantial cuts. I think it's one of the very best shows on TV (I get it as part of my cable package, on Canada's 'W Network' of all places, which otherwise tends to show Hallmark movies),  but it has non-Networky levels of nudity and swearing. It's quirky, intelligent and compelling.

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Second one was 37 minutes, actually. Looks like it's going to be the standard streaming series thing where each episode is as long as they feel it should be, for better or worse.

I watched the 2nd one and liked it, have yet to watch the 1st one but heard it's pretty poor. Jordan Peele's voice (his literal voice) will take some getting used to, but I'm aboard. As with most anthology shows, I'm sure the quality will vary greatly from episode to episode.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I hear “as long as they feel it should be” and it says “decompression” to me.

Which is not good.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 April 2019 at 11:44pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Where I hear "sometimes a story needs to breathe"!  Different strokes.

That said, I agree that the hour-long eps of the original TZ (Season 4, not the final Season 5) were not the greatest, but so too did some of the half-hours eps (Seasons 1-3 & 5) suffer from being an anthology.  Some were great (classics, actually).  Some, not so much.  I really don't think it's a case of these kinds of stories can only be told in a half-hour format, but that it depends on whether or not a story can carry a shorter or longer runtime. 

I come at this from being a long-time TZ fan, someone who arduously recorded on VHS every single episode, has read biographies on Serling, owns the series on multiple formats and has two dog-eared copies of Marc Scott Zicree's comprehensive breakdown of all TZ episodes.  TZ is as important to me as TOS. 

It's a tough hill to climb to measure up to the original.  I just hope they're up to the challenge.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2019 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I hear “as long as they feel it should be” and it says “decompression” to me.

Which is not good.

One of the major problems with most (not all) superhero, sci-fi,fantasy,and horror streaming shows is that the episodes are way too long and decompressed. One of the reasons why I like Amazon Prime's live action The Tick show is because each episode is only 22 to 25 minutes long and gets straight to the point.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2019 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I think that Twilight Zone episodes will work best as they did; 20 minutes (more or less) per story. Now, three stories per episode would be another matter; but on something like CBS All Access, I can't see why to do it that way.

Some creators - maybe a lot - need limits to make their stories better. Given 23 minutes or pages, and no ongoing continued stories means that the stories have to be tighter and have the excess cut out.  Of course, some writers tell the story in as much space as they need - and don't overflow with unnecessary content (our host being one of those.)

I have Netflix, and I'm on the fence about keeping that; we aren't watching enough TV to get everything we could from it and our standard cable. I grant that we don't watch a lot of procedural shows, and we are VERY reluctant to pick up a new show.

So you can imagine that the idea of paying more on top of our cable/Netflix fees isn't going over very well. Maybe the Disney channel (Disney Plus, is it?) that'll have the Marvel content on it, because I'm a sucker for super hero product. But Hulu, YouTube Prime (or whatever it is), and those others do not come across in any good manner to me. CBS All Access is at the bottom of the heap.

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2019 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Caught the first episode now, "The Comedian" and...yeah. It's pretty weak. Definitely too long---would have made a pretty crackerjack half-hour tale, but instead was stretched out to an interminable near-hour. It's too bad, because I liked the premise and Kumail Nanjiani was really good as the lead. Should have trimmed all the fat off this one.

Anybody else catch that both episodes had visual nods to classic TZ episodes as Easter eggs? And the "Nightmare" episode even seemed to have a reference to the "Comedian" one.

I'm intrigued enough to keep going. The show looks beautiful, although like Star Trek: Discovery the lighting can be kind of harsh at times. I have to admit that at the risk of sounding like a fuddy-duddy and even though I'm someone who uses the f-word all the time in real life, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the language on this new Twilight Zone.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2019 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Anybody else catch that both episodes had visual nods to classic TZ episodes as Easter eggs? 

-----

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

That's really cool, thanks!

I *thought* the David Copperfield reference was kind of a strange one...that explains it!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

That original episode and the "Talky Tina" episode give me the chills more than most. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2019 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I haven't watched the new TWILIGHT ZONE and may never do so but I admit I never expected that Jordan PeelE would change from a comedian (in KEY AND PEELE) to a horror movie/suspense series kind of guy. Maybe it doesn't always work but I give him credit for trying to "stretch."

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2019 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I watched The Comedian the other day and Terror at 30,000 Feet yesterday. Both OK. Didn't blow my socks off. The pacing probably could do with tightening up, but they are crafted with a suitable eeriness.

Curious that they have not used Marius Konstant's iconic guitar theme.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version