Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: MONKEES’ Peter Tork Passed Away Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I could have posted this in the "Music" area of the site, and despite the critics of the TV show and band, the Monkees did play instruments and created a lot of their own music, but they first came together for a TV show.

Anyway, here is the sad news:

May he rest in peace.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I’m sure he will.

Saddened by this news.

Back to Top profile | search

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I loved the Monkees series as a kid and enjoy their music. The album GOOD TIMES they released in 2016 was one of their best. And through that album, my sixteen year old daughter became a fan of the Monkees. We eventually found the series on DVD at our local library. She will be sad.

Rest in peace, Peter. And thanks for the good times!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I saw the Monkees in '86 (I think) and although it was just 3 out of 4 (Mike Nesmith didn't participate on that tour) they still put on a fun show with some great songs. Sad news indeed.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

He was my favourite Monkee when I was a kid and it still seems to me that he was the most naturally funny out of all of them -- and it is sad to hear he's gone.

Edited by Peter Martin on 21 February 2019 at 3:56pm

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I enjoyed watching the The Monkees television show on re-runs during my youth. Later on I re-discovered the music and was surprised how well it had aged.

Saddened to hear that Mr. Tork has caught The Last Train To Clarksville... Rest in peace, sir. You gave the world some great tunes and big laughs.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sad to hear.
My minds eye still sees all of The Monkees very young so there is that momentary shock when I first hear this (like with Davy), still too young to go.

Many of their songs had good "hooks", I'm going to break out my compilation CD (yes I still have CD's) in his honor.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

By far the best musician of the Monkees, and a great songwriter! His vocals on "I Was Not Born to Follow" are hauntingly awesome too!

I wanted to meet Peter and buy a CD from him in Michigan one year, but by the time he got to his table, I was busy at mine, and the line was too long later...

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

RIP.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am a fan of The Monkees, both the show and the unlikely sprawling nature of them as a band, so the loss of Peter Tork was a very sad moment for me.

The articles that I think best capture Tork were by Randy Lewis in the  Los Angeles Times:

... and Rob Sheffield’s loving tribute in Rolling Stone:

Peter Tork was a musician first, and the one true hippie of the bunch.  I’m glad to see his musical legacy get the proper context above, but I also loved him as a comedic actor.  Earlier this year, we also lost James Frawley, whose first directing jobs were the lion's share of MONKEES episodes.  He was a natural to direct because he was new and experimanetal, and he spent two to three months teaching the four Monkees improv comedy before they started shooting the show.  This isn’t talked about a lot, but it’s a defining aspect to why the show was so good - they really did develop great comic timing through working with Frawley.  It’s amazing to see how well Tork took his innocent Folkie act and used improv techniques to get real laughs on the show.  

When I learned of his death this week, I broke out my DVDs of the TV show and watched some episodes that had commentary by Frawley and Tork - “Monkees Vs. Machine,” “The Devil and Peter Tork,” and “Royal Flush.”  They both recall the improv classes, with Peter even remembering the moment he froze on stage during a workshop.  Interesting he would remember that so many years later - it was probably memorable because it is the stuff of nightmares for performers.

Frawley brought the spark of improv to TV, and Bob Raffleson and Bert Schneider’s post-production team brought the comedic pacing (and sound effects) from Warner Bros cartoons, the Three Stooges, and the Marx Brothers.  The comedy on the show still holds up.  

From a musical standpoint, Tork contributed a favorite song of mine - “For Pete’s Sake,” which is from the landmark HEADQUARTERS album and was used as the closing credits for the second season of the show (and all of the syndicated shows).  It’s a great song, with Dolenz giving a wonderful vocal - of all Tork’s gifts, singing lead was not one of them!  But the message and musicianship are impeccable, and great legacy to leave behind.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

James Frawley, left, appears in the introduction to “Monkees in Paris” - the gag is that the band is tired of the show’s formula, so they leave for Paris. 

Frawley would also play comedic characters through the series.  One of my favorites - he is the voice of the computer harassing Peter Tork in “Monkee Vs. Machine.”

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

L-R:  Davey Jones, Micky Dolenz, Mr. Schneider, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith.  While Tork’s relationship with the show and the band were complicated to say the least, this is the way I like to remember him - smiling in the center of the band.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

How is this show not available on iTunes?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 February 2019 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

It should be on either Netflix or Hulu as well, Bob - it's a natural for streaming!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 27 February 2019 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I sent Tim a link to an article the minute I read that Peter Tork had passed away.  I've been a Monkees fan for longer than I've been a fan of comic books, so damn near my entire life.  I have loved their music for as long as I can remember and not in a "guilty pleasure" kind of way, but in a way that I think they were true artists despite their origins.  I will blast their music in my car and reference them freely in conversation without feeling an iota of guilt or shame.  I think they are that terrific.  

Just two left.  Incredibly sad.  My childhood is passing away much more swiftly than I ever anticipated.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 February 2019 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I refer again to working on NEW VISIONS, and strictly for amusement looking up the various actors who appeared on TOS. Repeatedly the result was dead, dead, dead.

Not surprising in a show that’s fifty years old, and tended to use actors in their 30s and 40s, but still a depressing reminder of my own approaching exit.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 February 2019 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I found out about his passing from your link, Matt - even though I knew he had health issues, I was shocked.

I do like that towards the end of his life he found joy in touring with the band that made him famous.  For a group of people who were swept into instant stardom and crushing failure at a young age, Tork, Nesmith and Dolenz have been active to this day.  They entered a wonderful stage where they found enough common ground to play music together again for some wonderful live shows.  When Michael Nesmith and members of his band started touring again with Tork and Dolenz, they were just fantastic.  I missed Tork’s last tour, but I did catch Nesmith and Dolenz at The Orpheum last summer - they played “For Pete’s Sake,” dedicating it to Tork.  In retrospect, they likely knew he was sick as they acknowledged his absence.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version