Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Umbrella Academy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2019 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Netflix show was a really awesome surprise as I hadn’t read the comic.  Lots of X-Men and Doom Patrol DNA in here.  And pretty much every superhero comic trope ever.  Well-paced, and not all of the plot turns were predictable.
Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2019 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I started it over the weekend....but I made the mistake of having my iPad in my lap while "watching".

I'll need to get back to it with more focus.

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2019 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Binged the whole thing this weekend and loved it. I agree with Steve about the familiar DNA, but it stands on its own merits easily as well. I knew nothing of the comics it's adapted from, so I had no preconceptions going in. Really hope the series gets multiple seasons, especially since it ended with one whale of a cliff-hanger.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The only thing I have ever binge watched, ever.  Really well done.  Loved how they folded standard comics elements into the “real world.”  Chimp butlers and android moms?  Perfectly normal. 

Story was a bit predictable.  Several major beats were seen coming early on. But the characters kept me coming back, even if I knew where most of them were going. 

Can’t wait for season 2!

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just finished this last night. I also had not read the Dark Horse comic it was based on and of course being a day late to the party Diamond is sold out so I can't offer it to my customers.

The casting and acting were fantastic! Less predictable than a marvel movie. The music was perfect too. What a great surprise!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Agreed with everything said here -- never was even aware of the comic, but the series was awesome.

Makes me feel a bit bad for DC, because their new Doom Patrol series seems interesting, but UA hit on ALL the right notes for something like the Doom Patrol or Challengers of the Unknown (or X-Men, or . . .), so I have a hard time imagining that DC's Doom Patrol will be able to even hold an unlit candle to this.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Binged the whole season. What I like is how it uses the trope of the failed, dysfunctional superhero without pissing all over the genre. The dysfunction stems from how they were raised, not because there is a problem with being a superhero.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I read the two volumes of the Umbrella Academy back in the day and I loved it! I was happy to watch the show. As good as it was, the comic was even better! If you haven't read it, I'd advise picking it up.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I thought the first episode was weak and dragged a bit, which wasn't helped by what I thought was very flat, wooden acting on Ellen Page's part.

Thankfully, that was just a case of pilot-itis.   Everything that came after was brilliant (and Page's performance now makes perfect sense in context).

This was yet another TV show/film shot in the GTHA, so for me there's an extra layer of entertainment in spotting various locations and groaning when they use places that have now become overused.   One location in particular, the former Imperial Cotton Compnay wharehouses that are a few blocks north of where I live in Hamilton are basically the new equivalent to the Vasquez Rocks!

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't know if it is because I am only able to watch 1/2 hour a day and am missing out on a better viewing experience, but I am having a challenge with this series. I am up to episode 5 (I think) and am bored somewhat. Some of the visuals are nice, but I guess I was expecting something different since I am not familiar with the comic series it is based on.

One thing that I do enjoy, as short as it is, is the end credits song! here is the complete version:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/umbrella-academy-title-track-s oundtrack-netflix

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2019 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Loved it! Can't wait for season 2.

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

okay, I just finished watching the last few episodes all in one sitting in their entirety and that makes a difference! I really enjoyed how it went and also am looking forward to season 2.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version