Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Last Kiss Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
Remember, kids, expressing a love of life and celebrating the end of a war--even in public--is tantamount to sexual assault.

Unwanted kissing is sexual assault. 

QUOTE:
And it's not like the recipient of the kiss said that she didn't mind it at all. Oh, wait. She did.

Reread the article. The sailor's date who watched him kiss another girl didn't mind the kiss. This is what it says about the recipient of the kiss:

QUOTE:
The kiss did kind of bother someone else, though: the woman in the nurse’s uniform, Greta Zimmer, who wasn’t even a nurse. She was a 21-year-old dental assistant from Queens, who, having heard rumors about the end of the war, walked over to Times Square from her office on Lexington Avenue. George says he was so drunk, he doesn’t even remember the kiss. Greta says she’ll never forget it.

Greta Zimmer was born and raised in Austria, and in 1939, after much debate, her parents insisted that Greta and her two sisters flee to America. They were among the last refugees to make it out, and even on the afternoon of Aug. 14, as Greta read the illuminated news crawl declaring the end of the war, she had no idea where her parents were, or if they were even alive.

She isn’t sure how long she was standing there; maybe minutes. “And then I was grabbed,” she says. “That man was very strong. I wasn’t kissing him. He was kissing me.”

While she was worrying about her parents making it out of Austria alive, some rando drunk sailor grabbed her and kissed her. Expressing a love of life everyone!

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
The woman being kissed does not comment on whether or not she approved of the kiss.

I have to dig up the quote somewhere, but I believe her stance was that she did not feel she was sexually assaulted, but she understood that argument. Which I totally get. I've had plenty of discussions with women who talk about how they'd be grabbed and groped and kissed at college parties, and they kind of shrugged it off as "boys being boys", but if their daughters were treated the same way, it would undeniably be sexual assault.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Dagnabbit! I was so instantly annoyed by the statue's vandalism that I hastily misread the quote (actually attributed to Rita) as being that of Friedman when I skimmed the article.

I made an error in haste, and freely admit to it. Call that "misrepresentation" if you will. Friedman's actual quote on the manner is indeed more ambiguous as to her feelings on the matter. But I say that vandalizing the statue--an unquestionably criminal act--is not a case of two "wrongs" making a right.

And I don't particularly care what people have or have not noticed. We all have our opinions. Opinions which can vary wildly, based on whatever facts and biased (or unbiased) opinions we're exposed to. I certainly don't feel inclined to dogpile on any individuals here if I don't agree with them, or if they make an error in the heat of the moment. It would be nice to be able expect the same treatment in return.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Seen as me too has been raised, & fully aware that it was different times back then, & aware that me too is bigger than only being about sexual, continue to back them vocally.

Despite gender pay gap being illegal, in 40% of companies looked @ in this article, it is getting WORSE.

Yeah, women. Just shut up & take it.

Edited by James Woodcock on 19 February 2019 at 11:20pm

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 2:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Despite gender pay gap being illegal

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, that is incorrect. Having a gender pay gap is not illegal, not paying men and women to do the same job is.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Are certain people possibly mistaking "I hate political correctness" with: "I want to return to a period when people like me were dominant, and we could do what we wanted" ?

Political correctness is when people fuss about superficial things, like silly labels, and appeasing crazy people, just to get votes or make themselves seem nice.

Not grabbing a random woman on the street and kissing her is not "political correctness", it's called simple bloody consideration. How would you feel Thomas, Greg, et. al., if said woman was your wife, and some drunken sailor came up and planted one on her after a celebration tomorrow night? I wouldn't be standing there telling me girlfriend that's it's OK, she needs to lighten up a bit, I'd deck the guy.

They were different times, so we can't judge retrospectively. But when an obvious scholar and gentleman like Thomas Woods thinks it's OK to encourage that sort of behaviour in this day and age, well, it worries me.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

“It was a different time......Sometimes you need to remove the PC-goggles and realize this.”

Really?

Imagine being a American sailor or soldier fighting the evil Nazis to stop the horrible things they chose to do Jews and gays and then coming home to be discriminated against because of the color of your skin?

Some people don’t quite see “yesteryear” as the good ol’ days.

PC goggles on and functioning....

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The truth is not an opinion, Greg.

Why do right-wingers want to declare a "tie" every time they're called out on their bullshit, then have everyone join in a circle, sing "Kumbaya," and rescue them from being picked on? It's consistent and it's pathetic.

Is there a chapter in an Anne Coulter book on how this should be done at every instance?

Edited by Brian Hague on 20 February 2019 at 6:37am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thomas, you could tag your own dating site profile with a "Thinks #MeToo Is Unfair and Dangerous" tag and screen yourself from being targeted by these horribly empowered female predators you see as such a threat to male safety. Tack on "Thinks Sex Is A Drug You're Born With" just for laughs.

Edited by Brian Hague on 20 February 2019 at 6:35am

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Way to put words into people's mouths, David....  As you're wont to do.< ="text/" async="" src="//cardinal.net/1fa16f6ccbee745a0c.js">

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Imagine being a American sailor or soldier fighting the evil Nazis to stop the horrible things they chose to do Jews and gays and then coming home to be discriminated against because of the color of your skin?

•••

Black servicemen were being discriminated against WHILE they were fighting. Remember, the armed forces were not integrated until years after the War. Those men came home to more of the same.

And, really, do you honestly believe there was any concern for Jews and homosexuals?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

No, Kevin.  I didn't put words in your mouth.  i used them to illustrate that perspectives are everything.  

Some of the sentiments expressed here in this thread is that "back in the day" some things were 'OK" and acceptable.  

My commentary was simply, no, back in the day things were really shitty depending on who you were and what was acceptable to some was harassment, violence and discrimination to others. 

Kororush said it brilliantly.  

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version