Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB - Gyrich’s creator Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm seeing a lot of places online attributing the creation for Henry Peter Gyrich to Jim Shooter and George Pérez. However, I know you were the artist who drew the first few issues that character appeared in. As such I am wondering whether George perhaps did the design sketches or something similar for the character, hence being responsible for developing his appearance, or if the various sites have it wrong (with one wrong site presumably being copied by others to spread the disinformation, as is so often the case) and it was yourself who first drew him?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I designed him—if that’s the word for a crewcut and a pair of shades!

The confusion doubtless originates in people who don’t understand how comics are put together. Since George’s cover duplicated my interior splash—on Shooter’s order—and the cover is the first thing the reader sees, George must have drawn the character first. But we were still back in the days when deadlines mattered, and the interior pages were finished before the covers were done.

Stuart Vandal
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thank you for the clarification!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's sort of amusing to look back on those days. One of the surest ways to spot a late book was to look for a pin-up cover! If the cover did not actually reflect the action in the issue, the interior pages were probably not finished when it was done.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've mentioned before that in my last year or so on FF I fell into a habit of turning in the covers before the interiors. Basically, they served as my "plot". I'd tell the editor "I promise this scene will be somewhere in the issue!"

(Back in the "Silver Age" DC often had covers done on spec. A scene would be drawn, then a writer would be assigned to come up with a story to go with it. Looking back on those issues with an adult, professional eye, the results could sometimes be amusing. The cover scene might end up being no more than a couple of panels in the actual story, often unrelated to the rest of the action.)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This was a favorite bit of mine:

I assume credit goes to David Micheline for the dialogue, so I had wondered if you were clued in to what he wanted Gyrich to say before you drew it? 

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

To me it's interesting to note that you missed drawing Yondu in the splash of the Avengers meeting but meticulous Pérez did add him in the cover!

Edited by Manuel Soler on 17 February 2019 at 10:12am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I’ll just assume English is not your first language, and that’s why you phrased your comment as an insult.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's sort of amusing to look back on those days. One of the surest ways to spot a late book was to look for a pin-up cover! If the cover did not actually reflect the action in the issue, the interior pages were probably not finished when it was done. 

Off at a tangent - and I apologise if this it too much thread drift too early - but I have always intrigued in the covers to AF 33 and 34. Despite having Heather / Vindicator with her vizor in the story itself, on the cover she is shown without (and this is despite Mignola including it on the cover of AF 32, when Heather first wears the costume).

I often wondered if the artwork was late, the costume was changed but the covers already done. But that doesn't explain issue 32.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

GGAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The panels with Gyrich remind me that I miss the days when the public (and the government) believed that Iron Man was Tony Stark's employee. 

With everyone knowing that Stark and Iron Man are the same guy, it's impossible to write any more scenes with government officials chewing out Iron Man ("You tell your boss that...!!"). I always liked those.

P. S. I love Mike Mignola's artwork, always have, but the cover with Magneto...I'd happily forgotten about that costume. Ack.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A consideration that seems to elude many artists is drawing costumes that actually look like something the character would wear. Like spaceship design on STAR TREK’s more recent iterations, it’s become all about being “designy”. About “cool”.

The Magneto we meet in (UNCANNY) X-MEN 1 wears a costume as part of the fantasy realm he inhabits—no need to explain why—but that costume is plain and largely unadorned. Like the school uniforms of the X-Men.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version