Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Unlimited Experiment Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2019 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Let me know if this should be in another thread, but I am using Marvel Unlimited to catch up on as much of the Marvel Universe as possible. I am reading each title I can from the mid-'80s to current and I have run into some wild snags.

I started with just reading Incredible Hulk and was able to get to 2008 before becoming completely lost as crossover moments are no longer annotated in each issue with an editor's footnote.

The other inflection point I have decided on is to read each series until 1996, skip Heroes Reborn and then start over with 1998 Heroes Return once I have completed all series up to 1996.

This has been a wild experience because I had essentially stopped reading Marvel (an comics in general) in the mid-'90s.

Has anyone else tried this? If so any thoughts or advice?

RT

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2019 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There are plenty of 'reading order' websites for Marvel books. One I use a lot is based about the collected editions but should enable you to search Marvel Unlimited for the books, so here's the Hulk page:

https://crushingkrisis.com/collecting-avengers-comic-books-a s-graphic-novels-a-definitive-guide/collecting-hulk-comic-bo oks-as-graphic-novels/
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2019 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Right there is one of the problems with modern comics. Having to go to an outside source to understand what you are reading drives me nuts. An editor's foot note is such an easy thing to include. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2019 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Editor's foot notes should be mandatory when referring to past events - it's not that hard to do and recognises new readers. 

However, what you will find Robin, is that in many of the newer (ha, I say newer but these are over a decade old now) crossovers, there isn't a foot note because what happened in one crossover, didn't happen in the other version of the crossover.

A classic example of this would be House of M. The Spider-Man mini-series that went with that story could not happen during that event, and yet they published something like 5 issues of it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2019 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thanks for the heads up guys and special thanks to Leigh for info.

This is a fascinating journey as I rediscover things I had forgotten about, like how beautifully weird Alan Davis's Excalibur was. I am learning new things, an example of which is that around 95-96, virtually all of Marvel's books art quality took a drastic dive, even on high profile titles.

RT

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 February 2019 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Editor's foot notes should be mandatory when referring to past events - it's not that hard to do and recognises new readers

•••

OR, recognize those new readers by minimizing references to past events.

When I was a kid, reading comics purely as a fan, references to past events came down to “The last time we fought the Joker/Luthor/Doctor Doom,” with nary a specific in sight—nor any reason to seek out those previous stories in order to understand what was currently being read.

The almost fetishized use of footnotes came later—and in many cases took the form of thinly disguised plugs for other books.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2019 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think you hit the nail on head JB because the amount of unreferenced cross-pollination that starts in the mid 00's presumes readers are reading everything being published. If you haven't, it becomes confusing extremely quickly as critical events occur in other books and are referenced obliquely.

RT

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2019 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marvel Unlimited is a great deal but I'll never enjoy reading comics on a screen as much as I do reading one in my hand. I wonder too how much the creators are given as far as royalties go when Marvel comics are read this way.

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2019 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

When I started reading comics in the 1970’s the most common foot note read “*last issue!”

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

So this has been pretty wild as an ongoing thing. The next complication I have experienced is cross-over related as well. I have moved into the X-men books and related books and I now have moved into reading the comics by the year instead of by title as the X-books are deeply interconnected. I suspect I will have to do the same thing with the Spider-man titles down the road.

RT

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I Have seven DVD ROM collections of several Marvel series to re-read my favorite books from my youth.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

OR, recognize those new readers by minimizing references to past events. 

When I was a kid, reading comics purely as a fan, references to past events came down to “The last time we fought the Joker/Luthor/Doctor Doom,” with nary a specific in sight—nor any reason to seek out those previous stories in order to understand what was currently being read. 

I enjoyed seeing those footnotes and knowing Spider-Man almost drowned fighting The Hulk in Web of Spider-Man #69. They never compelled me to pick up the issue and it was something I didn’t have to know to enjoy the original book but it was like an interesting side note.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version