Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Strong Woman Do Bong Soon US Adaptation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2019 at 2:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Not sure how many of you are familiar with this Korean TV show but it is about a delightful young girl who has superpowers. She is hired as a bodyguard for a rich video-game developer yet has a crush on a police officer. It is a fun, romantic comedy that is hugely popular in Asia. Of course, Hollywood plans to adapt it.

"Strong Girl.....It follows a former war photographer named Rayna who discovers she is indestructible and potentially the strongest woman in the world. Ghosted by her Spec Ops fiance when she reveals her newfound power to him, Rayna is hired as a bodyguard by a billionaire named Oliver, who sees her true potential."

I know it has been mentioned many times before but why do they bother buying the rights to a TV and modify completely, especially a show that most Americans would not know anything about? As well, it sounds absolutely awful, completely missing the fun of the original Korean show. I know it is a rhetorical question, but why?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2019 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's possible the American TV show was already in development when the similarities to the Korean were noted. Then the thousands, or hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars to buy the rights would be considered cheaper than a lawsuit. For that money, they could also consider that they've bought a title with some recognition, and are renting the goodwill of its fans, for however long they think they'd need it. I've heard similar things happened with the movies I,ROBOT, STARSHIP TROOPERS, and THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, and the Star Trek episode "Arena"
Back to Top profile | search

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2019 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Consider the opposite scenario when a foreign country copies a successful show on the hopes that the original show creators don't find out about it.  An example where this occurred was 'The Theorists" - a rip off done by Belarus (and before this story hit the web, I was unaware that it or the Country even existed).

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I watched the first episode, and thought it was okay. I may give the second a try, but am in no hurry.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2019 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Korean television programs are very big in Asia. I find the actors fun to watch, especially the female ones. The guys are usually stoic but the girls are animated and ooze personality.

A great introduction to Korean programs is a movie, not a TV show. "Train to Busan". Very creepy zombie movie.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A great introduction to Korean programs is a movie, not a TV show. "Train to Busan". Very creepy zombie movie. 
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------
I second Neil's comment.  I really enjoyed Train to Busan.  Lots of twists and turns in that one. It was available on Netflix when I saw it.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

For anyone who's interested, TRAIN TO BUSAN is still available on Netflix.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

On Facebook, I often see clips from Korean comedies and dramas (I don't know if this is universal or because I am in Asia) and so many shows just seem like a lot of fun. One show I want to find is of a young girl who sees this very creepy floating demon that follows her everywhere but nobody else can see. She meets with another creepy man who tells her he can get rid of the demon if she goes into this house and retrieves an object. The little girl in the clip is great, as she is so nonchalant about all of this. Hopefully I see it again online and find out what the show was called. 

I am surprised Netflix or the other networks are not mining Korean television more for ideas. They are incredibly popular over here and the stories are very entertaining and refreshing spins on the usual. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version