Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Ultraviolet service closing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, here we go.

The blame is being placed on other services taking over and the claim is that the films can be moved to a different service.

Well, in the UK I have Flixster, which is still in operation, although the App is no longer available for new devices, and the WB app, although this only allows WB films on it - and you can only choose one or the other, so I have stuck with Flixster.

All the other services that UltraViolet could link to in the USA were never launched in the UK.

I am expecting that at some point, all the digital films I have collected over the years through UltraViolet will vanish

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I still buy Blu Rays
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

James, i buy physical copies of Cd`s and bluray`s, often
cheaper than the digital version too!

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Having just picked up Indicator's beautiful Blu-ray release of Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie, I'll be sticking with discs for as long as possible.

Wonderful book with it by Alex Cox and several hours of supplementary material make it a real treat.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2019 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I received an e-mail notice last night about Ultraviolet closing here in the USA also.

I agree: That's why having the physical DVD is important for the movies and TV shows you want to have in your collection.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I get other countries, but I'm not that concerned as a person residing in the US.  I, like many, redeemed digital codes for UltraViolet but fortunately paired that library with Vudu so it's all good for me.  That said, every UltraViolet movie I redeemed was from the purchase of a physical Blu-ray...so I still own that.  I never used the site to purchase films as digital-only products.  Only as a gateway to redeeming a code.  As I'm now fully invested in iTunes, I hardly think Apple will go the way of UltraViolet so I remain unconcerned.  Again, I'm an American dealing with American products so I get how that may be sketchy in other parts of the world. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2019 at 2:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My UltraViolet account was mostly movies that I'd put the code in for that came with the blu-ray.  It was also linked with my Vudu account, so hopefully as long as Vudu stays around, the movies will. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 February 2019 at 2:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Same with me.  I never bought digital-only movies from the account, but did redeem the code that came with the Blu-ray I purchased.  Presumably those have been transferred to Vudu per the email I got from them just today.  Again, however, I understand that it's different in different countries and that others may be screwed, but if you're like me you still own the physical copy of the movie that gave you the digital access code.

In any event, it's wise to tie yourself with the big boys (iTunes, Vudu, Amazon) if you can.  The others more than likely have a shelf life unless you link your account with others like I've done with Movies Anywhere (Disney). You can actually link your accounts to multiple outlets, which is advised. I'm not as scared as some about their collections and, at the end of the day, can't afford the space physical copies take in my home, so I'm fine rolling the dice.  I honestly can't imagine a major studio pulling out of digital distribution with major retailers like iTunes and Amazon.  That literally makes no sense.  So digital is the way I go.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2019 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In the UK you could only link UV to one account. I found that out when I tried to link to WB & lost most of my collection. I managed to get it back but none of the companies actually helped in this. 

Like you Matt. I never bought through UV, just redeemed codes. Some companies in the UK are giving Google Play codes which I do feel are more secure but Vudu & Disney have not launched in the UK so I actually donít have a plan b if Flixster closes here. 

I donít think we will be getting free codes any more though. Disney have proved that

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2019 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yes, the only movies I acquired through UltraViolet were obtained via a Blu-Ray digital code. But I linked UltraViolet to Vudu, then linked both Vudu and iTunes to Movies Anywhere, and now I can watch almost all of these movies on iTunes.

There are odd exceptions. I used Vudu's DVD upgrade feature to add Amelie to my library, yet while iTunes has Amelie in its catalog, it doesn't show me as owning it. Perhaps they're slightly different versions.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2019 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

All of my digital copies are currently linked to Vudu (even the few that first came from the UltraViolet platform), so hopefully they stick around.  If not, I still have the BluRay discs.  Not overly worried.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 03 February 2019 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Almost all of my digital code downloads are iTunes...I think the BATMAN tv
show is the only non-iTunes. Whenever I did come across a digital code that
didn't offer iTunes, I was able to contact the issuer and get an iTunes code as I
never used UV...for just a reason like this. iTunes...Amazon...I have long term
trust in...others...not so much.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2019 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wait, what? You managed to get iTunes codes as replacements? Well done

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version