Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Star Trek: Discovery ~ Season 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ive loved this series - though to be honest I loved season 1 too, I do miss Lorca!

Now Discovery has travelled 1000 years into the future with the data sphere, the mysterious AI isnt so mysterious...?
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There's a fan theory going around that based on the finale looks like it will remain a fan theory, so I'm not worried it'll end up spoiling anything.  Basically, in the "Regeneration" episode of Enterprise, they encountered those time-travelling borg from First Contact.  At the end of the episode, Malcolm tells everyone that the borg tech is now inactive.  Its also revealed that season that Malcolm has connections in Section 31.

So the theory is that Section 31 researchers used that future borg tech to produce all of the superior tech seen in seasons 1 and 2 of Discovery (the time suit, the spore drive, etc.).  Eventually, their experiments got out of their control and became Control.  Hence the eye-poke similarity with Picard/First Contact and Leland.

This gives two potential outs for comparing Discovery's Enterprise and TOS's.  Either a) any tech related to the Control experiments was stripped out of Federation vessels like the Enterprise's holographic communications or b) the differences of the appearances of things is a result of the borg's time travel.

Edited by Steve De Young on 24 April 2019 at 3:27pm

Victor Perez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2019 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Has there ever been a show that....  DOCTOR WHO, perhaps."

Yep, good call.

"I'm always surprised that science fiction and fantasy even gets made these days and delighted when it sticks around along enough to make an impact."

Also agree.  It's like when the kids nitpick about an MCU movie or complain that something in one wasn't faithful to the comics. You have NO IDEA what we have been through. "Get off my lawn," indeed!

"I think part of DISCOVERY's problems lie in attempting to court the larger STAR TREK audience.   In trying to appease two vastly different kinds of viewership who have very different expectations they ended up making a bit of an unfocused muddle."

Not sure I agree for reasons stated above by me and others: 

1) Plenty of die-hard Trekkies LOVE Discovery....(Note: by definition "Trekkie" includes fans who were not obsessive AND didn't mind being called Trekkies and for that matter who didn't mind obsessive Trekkies in the first place...and after many years, most of the TV critics who drew a distinction between "Trekkies" and "Trekkers" have been let go in the media apocalypse...and Millennial journalists don't do any research... so "Trekkie" is making a comeback at last...). We thought the reboot movies were too dark--and yet Discovery is darker but still somehow manages to be faithful to the dream. I am not sure we have been "appeased." 

2) On the flip side, plenty of Trek fans have legit issues with the format, storytelling, editing, aesthetic, continuity, etc. These are people who might also like the Orville, which has done a great job of updating an old formula. If you had asked me ten years ago would I rather watch a random episode from the first season of B5 or one from the first season of TNG, I would have picked TNG. But ask me today and I will tell you B5 because while some of those B5 episodes are terrible, they aren't unwatchable--and the first season of TNG (with some exceptions) is largely unwatchable. I don't think that Discovery attempted to appease anyone who was pining to return to Farpoint, either.

3) Did Discovery try to appease an audience new to Star Trek? Not behind a paywall, it didn't.

4) The other audience Discovery didn't attempt to appease was the group of folks who wasted calories complaining about Captain Marvel and Brie Larson.  Actually, the same way Trump helped local sheriffs, town clerks and mayors self-identify themselves out of their jobs, Discovery helped bigots and conspiracy mongers self-report their own bigotry and insecurity to the rest of the world.

In summary, is Discovery a mess? Yes. But it is a hot mess!

Edited by Victor Perez on 24 April 2019 at 8:11pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Spock's "Ricky Bobby" sideburns bugged me, but not that bridge design. I hated the Abramsverse, and their bridge. This design worked for me, evoking the original, but bringing it up to date, so to speak.

More exactly, turning it into something that will seem incredibly dated in a few years, which, even now, the TOS Bridge does not.

(Compare it to its contemporaries, the control rooms of the Seaview and the Jupiter II and see how timeless the TOS Bridge really is!)

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB>>(Compare it to its contemporaries, the control rooms of the Seaview and the Jupiter II and see how timeless the TOS Bridge really is!)<<

The design may have been partially budget driven, but the minimalism of the TOS bridge and sets gives them an almost Bauhaus aesthetic.  Which I believe is universally timeless. Not free of flair, but also not festooned with unnecessary elements either.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"'Star Trek: Discovery'" Was the Most Popular Streaming Show in the World"

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-ratings-most-popu lar-streaming-show/

I wonder if this will help kill the narrative that DISCOVERY is such a flop that CBS only renewed for a 3rd season to hide their embarrassment about it. Probably not.

Edited by Tyler Kloster on 08 May 2019 at 9:02pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I wonder if this will help kill the narrative that DISCOVERY is such a flop that CBS only renewed for a 3rd season to hide their embarrassment about it. Probably not.

-----------------------------------

Of course not.  That narrative was never based on facts.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Finally got to finish this. Not a bad ending. I guess now we know why weve never heard about Discovery or her crew. Gonna be interesting to see where that go from here. 

Dammit CBS. Do the right thing. Give us a Pike show!!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It speaks to the power and effectiveness of Anson Mount's performance that, just as Discovery is solving its number one storytelling problem; it's placement in the Star Trek timeline, that fans are calling for a follow-up show with exactly the same problem.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2019 at 1:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I would be for an Anson Mount's Pike series in a heart
bit !
And Discovery is getting better and better.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Anson Mount was on the podcast Inside of You hosted by Michael Rosenbaum (Smallville's Lex Luthor) 

Mr Mount is quite a fan of TOS and TNG he originally auditioned for the role of Lorca the episode barely touches on ST but it is good listening

Mr Mount also has his own podcast I learned about and have been listening to called The Well. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Coincidentally enjoying a rewatch of Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku's DOLLHOUSE series and I was pleasantly surprised to see a young Anson Mount in the episode where Echo leads a team of criminals on an art heist. He was charming and good with a humorous moment even back then.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version